Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Water Intrusion Issue - Resolved

I've noticed a musty smell after a hard rain here in Texas today and after checking the rear hatch area noticed water around the charcoal canister wiring in the trunk under the carpeted liner... I pushed down on the rubber sealer around the wiring back there and saw bits of water coming out. I didn't see this covered in the video though so I thought I'd ask here about that and how to remedy it or if it'll drain in time and its just due to an excessive amount of rain lately or something.

OP
Intuit

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #42
I've noticed a musty smell after a hard rain here in Texas today and after checking the rear hatch area noticed water around the charcoal canister wiring in the trunk under the carpeted liner... I pushed down on the rubber sealer around the wiring back there and saw bits of water coming out. I didn't see this covered in the video though so I thought I'd ask here about that and how to remedy it or if it'll drain in time and its just due to an excessive amount of rain lately or something.
Can you either post a photo or cut-out and paste one from here ?
https://www.fiestastforum.com/threads/rear-suspension-sitting-a-lot-higher.29187/post-475720
That image might lead to some suggestions from others.

Recently joined the leaky boot club, and after looking around it appears the water is seeping... upward? from these clip things, on both sides of the boot but the right one seems more leaky... Does anyone know what they are / where they lead? Second spot seem to be further down the right side where it looks like the sealing goop wasn't evenly applied. Current plan is to RTV around all of these things but kind of worrying whether this will just trap the ingressed water between some metal and cause rust.

Screenshot 2022-11-06 113740.jpg Screenshot 2022-11-06 113016.jpg Screenshot 2022-11-06 113223.jpg

Recently joined the leaky boot club, and after looking around it appears the water is seeping... upward? from these clip things, on both sides of the boot but the right one seems more leaky... Does anyone know what they are / where they lead? Second spot seem to be further down the right side where it looks like the sealing goop wasn't evenly applied. Current plan is to RTV around all of these things but kind of worrying whether this will just trap the ingressed water between some metal and cause rust.

View attachment 52415 View attachment 52416 View attachment 52417
Do you have a sunroof equipped?

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Can you either post a photo or cut-out and paste one from here ?
https://www.fiestastforum.com/threads/rear-suspension-sitting-a-lot-higher.29187/post-475720
That image might lead to some suggestions from others.
I ended up using some Permatex around my windshield bottom and around the round rubber gasket wiring where the wheel well is (the wiring for the evap canister) and the musty smell is gone now. I also put some at the ends of each roof trim. Seems to have worked.

Last edited:
Had a bad three day heavy rain storm last weekend and have standing water in the foot wells (worse on passenger side). I had to pull the carpet today as it is completely saturated. I ran a hose over the rear hatch and there does seem to be some intrusion on the driver side.

With it being all the way to the front foot wells I may check the door drain holes. This youtube video shows some spots we can investigate for possible leaks. Posting this mainly as he points out how water can defeat the front door seals. I know someone recently posted having that exact issue. @FiestaSTdude

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PYBSRyPHS0

Last edited:
OP
Intuit

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #48
That reminds me, I need to pull off the front door panel to check on the vapor barrier. I recall hearing it crinkle as the window rolled down after getting it back from the dealer on their failed attempts to address water intrusion under warranty.

Still battling bad leaking in the trunk, so I finally removed the rear bumper and replaced the peeling tape and silicon-ed both the air vents. Fingers crossed this finally addresses the issue!!!

Attachments

Final update (I hope). After performing above I still had a tiny bit of water intrusion in the trunk, but not nearly as bad. I noticed a drop forming on the upper white grommet/insert that the top tail light gets screwed into! Took some clear silicon to all of the grommets (two plastic & two rubber) and that seems to have fixed it!!! Woohoo! I can finally put my carpet and rear seat back in the car.

FiestaSTdude

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Had a bad three day heavy rain storm last weekend and have standing water in the foot wells (worse on passenger side). I had to pull the carpet today as it is completely saturated. I ran a hose over the rear hatch and there does seem to be some intrusion on the driver side.

With it being all the way to the front foot wells I may check the door drain holes. This youtube video shows some spots we can investigate for possible leaks. Posting this mainly as he points out how water can defeat the front door seals. I know someone recently posted having that exact issue. @FiestaSTdude

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PYBSRyPHS0
Thanks! I definitely need to check out the spot he mentioned on the front door!

Ford Community Posts