Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

What aftermarket seats is everyone running ?

I looked at memory foam. It compresses too much and recovers too slowly for this application. And the other side effect was how much heat was reflected, my thighs were sweating on drives much more than an hour. That was not expected.
I found a place will sell me orthopedic grade upholstery foam. I also like that it can be cleanly sculpted with a hot knife tool. So, fairly complex shapes or contours are doable at any work surface that has an electrical plug nearby.
My plan is to simplify the sewing process by creating a new three part lower seat cushion consisting of the improved (longer with better thigh support padding) center pan. And then slightly taller and firmer side bolstering attached to the base with their own sheet metal pans to attach the foam and cloth cover to. I can then just use the base to attach the individual parts onto. The original weight sensor can be inserted into the new foam and plugged back in, same as the original. I'm not an upholstery guy. But this doesn't look terribly difficult when I know what I want and can break it down into three separate fabrication tasks. The upholstery guy who looked at the seat and my drawing said it was three easy pieces.

PhoenixM3

Running stock base seats and they are just fine. My previous FiST had the Recaro seats and though they were better the base seats are not bad. Unless you swap in the Recaro seats why would you even consider giving up your seat air bags? Crazy people.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Do you even race bro? ;)

So when you swap to a bucket seat, do you lose all airbag function or just side airbags? Cloth seats are terrible and have been wanting something else.

The side impact airbags are Integral to the seat back. We are discussing the possible options for having a better/more supportive seat versus the Recaro. One, good used factory Ford, Recaro seat is about a Grand. Some trade-offs include not having a functional side airbag and going to the aftermarket. Or, buying that used Factory Recaro seat. Or, altering the bottom cushion on the base seat to work better.
I'm going to give rebuilding my base seat a try. It's less than half the cost of buying a used/pre farted in, Recaro. More than fifty percent cheaper than a new competition designed seat. And I will be able to retain the stock airbag in the seat back, so maybe I won't die when I crash.

DoomsdayMelody

The side impact airbags are Integral to the seat back. We are discussing the possible options for having a better/more supportive seat versus the Recaro. One, good used factory Ford, Recaro seat is about a Grand. Some trade-offs include not having a functional side airbag and going to the aftermarket. Or, buying that used Factory Recaro seat. Or, altering the bottom cushion on the base seat to work better.
I'm going to give rebuilding my base seat a try. It's less than half the cost of buying a used/pre farted in, Recaro. More than fifty percent cheaper than a new competition designed seat. And I will be able to retain the stock airbag in the seat back, so maybe I won't die when I crash.
How does one even go about rebuilding the base seat? Are you doing to work or is there an upholstery shop, do those exist? Also I’d you plan to do the work, are you completely scrapping the used factory foam in the seat?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You should take a few minutes and read the entire thread. There are pictures and a very good discussion of the situation. The gist of it all is cost versus function.

Well, I can offer some perspective then. I currently have a FiST with Recaros, as well as an STI with a Recaro Pole Position ABE. Good call on mentioning them as most dont know about them. They are the same seat shell as found in many OEM options such as older 911 gt3, bentley continental supersport, Aston v12 vantage, mercedes amg gtr to name a few.
As far as a comparison they are very similar in fit to the fiesta recaros, the width of the seat pan, the hip bolstering, the arch of the seat and the shoulder height and width. They are extremely comfortable for a fixed back seat.

If you've that route I would definitely redo the cushioning with memory foam though, they are a little thin for longer trips. That said, I have done 5 hour drives without complaint. The ability to run the 3 point belts properly is a huge bonus as well as being TÜV approved for road use they are going to he the safest option for a fixed back.

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk
That looks nice, and the grey alcantara would somewhat match the factory recaro. How much did the Pole Positions set you back? What's your height and weight? I'm 6'2" currently 285lbs, and the factory Recaros are getting just a little tight. lol These look like a nice compromise.

That looks nice, and the grey alcantara would somewhat match the factory recaro. How much did the Pole Positions set you back? What's your height and weight? I'm 6'2" currently 285lbs, and the factory Recaros are getting just a little tight. lol These look like a nice compromise.
Washed out photo, they are all black.

You need to test sit tbh. Your height and weight don't really describe how you would fit, it's a tough process fitting yourself for a tight seat.

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk