Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

What exhaust?

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I just ordered this exhaust for insane price. I wanted thermal but I couldn't pass this deal up. This exhaust is supposed to have zero drone and should be very similar to the thermal.
Lol similar to the Thermal? The Mishimoto has a resonator added in thats all it does not have a Hemholtz filter like the Thermal also the Thermal is 3 inch vs the Mishi being 2.5 . I would be very surprised it would touch the Thermal. Mishimoto is an ok company,Thermal is top notch stuff.

Color me skeptical.

Lol similar to the Thermal. I would be very surprised it would touch the Thermal. Mishimoto is an ok company,Thermal is top notch stuff.

Color me skeptical.
What exactly do you think thermal does so specialšŸ§ it's pipe with mufflers and resonators. There is only so much sound manipulation that can be done. Their quality seems top notch sure, but there's not a huge range in tone differences between exhaust systems with similar setups (muffler and resonators placement). But hey remain skeptical, that's like totally your right man!

Dpro

6000 Post Club
What exactly do you think thermal does so specialšŸ§ it's pipe with mufflers and resonators. There is only so much sound manipulation that can be done. Their quality seems top notch sure, but there's not a huge range in tone differences between exhaust systems with similar setups (muffler and resonators placement). But hey remain skeptical, that's like totally your right man!
What exactly do I think they do. Perhaps you should read up on Hemholtz filters and noise cancellation. Specifically in the fact that a lot of exhausts for our cars drone at certain frequency and Thermal actually did research to pinpoint the drone and design a Hemholtz filter specifically for the exhaust.

You would do good to read up on Clint Beastwoods on experimentts with this as well and his own first hand research here and conclusions.

There is science behind this and its not as simple as you think if you really want a nice exhaust that really does not drone at any freq.
As a trained sound engineer who works in music I know all about unwanted frequencies and the desire to eliminate them . Lol

Its actually pretty amazing that Thermal adapted Hemholtz filters for use in automotive exhaust systems. Primarily the only place that one would come across them is in studios or concert hall situations.

I will drop the basics on you though. A Helmholtz filter is a tunable filter device that allows one to target and tune out specific frequencies thereby getting rid of them. Quite often Helmholtz filters can be used to eliminate unwanted bass freqs, which drones actually do fall into into as they are usually just below low mid bass frequencies. Which can be quite annoying to the average human ear over time. Lol

What exactly do I think they do. Perhaps you should read up on Hemholtz filters and noise cancellation. Specifically in the fact that a lot of exhausts for our cars drone at certain frequency and Thermal actually did research to pinpoint the drone and design a Hemholtz filter specifically for the exhaust.

You would do good to read up on Clint Beastwoods on experimentts with this as well and his own first hand research here and conclusions.

There is science behind this and its not as simple as you think if you really want a nice exhaust that really does not drone at any freq.
As a trained sound engineer who works in music I know all about unwanted frequencies and the desire to eliminate them . Lol

Its actually pretty amazing that Thermal adapted Hemholtz filters for use in automotive exhaust systems. Primarily the only place that one would come across them is in studios or concert hall situations.

I will drop the basics on you though. A Helmholtz filter is a tunable filter device that allows one to target and tune out specific frequencies thereby getting rid of them. Quite often Helmholtz filters can be used to eliminate unwanted bass freqs, which drones actually do fall into into as they are usually just below low mid bass frequencies. Which can be quite annoying to the average human ear over time. Lol
You crack me up man. I've seen some of your responses to other threads and I should have known better than to even engage you. Oh and I'm very familiar with helmholtz design. I own a q50 with the helmholtz mufflers. I was simply pointing out an option for him. I get it. You have the thermal exhaust and like it a lot. That's cool I can appreciate that. Have a good one

Dpro

6000 Post Club
You crack me up man. I've seen some of your responses to other threads and I should have known better than to even engage you. Oh and I'm very familiar with helmholtz design. I own a q50 with the helmholtz mufflers. I was simply pointing out an option for him. I get it. You have the thermal exhaust and like it a lot. That's cool I can appreciate that. Have a good one
Well you literally asked? I had no idea excuse me for doing the favor of explaining it to you. I would not have known you knew anything about them based off your post.
Especially since you asked.
It has nothing to do with my liking my Themal which I do it has everything to do with being helpful and giving out useful info.
I could have come back with a smart ass quip like you have done above.
Instead I brought out knowledge to help another forum member. You could learn a thing or two in forum etiquette .

Have a nice day glad I amused you.

Last edited:
OP
L

lb7

Thread Starter #26
Wow, I'm happy I got so much responses from you guys. I really had no idea that Thermal was such a top-notch company. I really appreciate all your opinions and will take them into account when making my purchase. I'd like to keep reading more people's opinions on exhausts as well.

Still stock, but I'm likely going with fswerks. Seems slightly louder than stock but with a nice deep tone.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Switching from MBRP to milltek was the best move I could have made. Car sounds absolutely perfect with a high flow catted DP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi, would you say that the Milltek exhaust has any problem with drone at highway speeds? From the clips Iā€™ve seen/heard it sounds really good.

Did you get the res or non-res, and what high flow cat did you pair it with? Thanks.

No none whatsoever. Itā€™s the resonated one with the MAPerformance catted down pipe. [emoji1305]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk