Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

What octane is everyone using?

What octane is everyone using?

• 87 Octane

Votes: 31 6.0%
  • 89 Octane

Votes: 7 1.4%
  • 91 Octane

Votes: 176 34.3%
  • +93 Octane

Votes: 299 58.3%

• Total voters

dyn085

2000 Post Club
Reporting in from Milton Ontario..

For research purposes I tried 3 different types of fuel.

87 Octane from Petro Canada - This fuel is garbage for the ST. you can literally watch your fuel gauge drop as you drive and the idle is weird

Ultra 94 from Petro Canada- Not a bad fuel at all. Fuel Economy is not bad but not that good either. I got about 6 days out of this tank and it was about 80KM per day while using this one.

V-Power Nitro plus from Shell- This was the best gas I have used so far. I got 11 days out of my tank and was commuting daily. Idle was smooth and quiet and the engine performance felt better overall no matter what speed I was going.
Unless you're at WOT everywhere, 87 shouldn't be much of a fuel consumption loss. Where premium fuels get their benefit is from higher-load driving. I've run 87 on the 93 OTS tune for testing and had to put my car through some pretty serious abuse for it to even register on my OAR, and even then it jumped straight back to -1 with the next 'normal' acceleration.

With that being said, everybody should be doing their own local fuel stations. I've seen 'lesser' stations that had great fuel and 'better' stations that had worse, so it depends more on the station itself as opposed to the name on the sign. People can definitely make general observations that apply to different name-brands across-the-board, but each and every person should be testing what is local and convenient for them to determine what's best in their area.

Unless you're at WOT everywhere, 87 shouldn't be much of a fuel consumption loss. Where premium fuels get their benefit is from higher-load driving. I've run 87 on the 93 OTS tune for testing and had to put my car through some pretty serious abuse for it to even register on my OAR, and even then it jumped straight back to -1 with the next 'normal' acceleration.

With that being said, everybody should be doing their own local fuel stations. I've seen 'lesser' stations that had great fuel and 'better' stations that had worse, so it depends more on the station itself as opposed to the name on the sign. People can definitely make general observations that apply to different name-brands across-the-board, but each and every person should be testing what is local and convenient for them to determine what's best in their area.

Was just posting my experience and nothing more.

maperformance

I posted some good info regarding 93 and E30 tuning yesterday on our blog. Check it out by clicking here.

I personally run E30 everyday which is roughly 96 octane depending on what the gas station has to offer (91 or 93). These car's love octane/ethanol, check out my 93 tune versus E30 tune below on a completely stock FiST with Accessport.

JasonHaven

First few fill ups were at 87, since I wasn't doing anything too hard with the motor during break in. Put in 93 with the last fill up, if I don't feel any difference, or see a huge mpg difference, I'll likely go with 87 most of the time, as it's $0.80/gal cheaper.
I've been sticking with 93 now, haven't noticed a whole lot of difference since I don't drive too crazy, but I've been filling up where I find cheap 93 (among top tier brands only though). My former 'usuals' were very expensive for 93 for whatever reason.

I posted some good info regarding 93 and E30 tuning yesterday on our blog. Check it out by clicking here.

I personally run E30 everyday which is roughly 96 octane depending on what the gas station has to offer (91 or 93). These car's love octane/ethanol, check out my 93 tune versus E30 tune below on a completely stock FiST with Accessport.

[MENTION=3178]maperformance[/MENTION]
This is an awesome tune for stock; you need to get a cyborg installed in your FiST...

Alas, 91 is the best fuel I can buy at the pump here in northern California. There are some gas stations that offer higher octanes, but they are few and usually located at racetracks, where I unfortunately do not spend much time.

pelotonracer2

1000 Post Club

Once we get the E30 tune finalized I may do the same thing. Is there any reason to worry about using ethanol long term in a non flex fuel vehicle?

westcoaST

1000 Post Club
Only the ECU is not programmed to handle e30 or better mixtures in the FiST. That is why you need a tune specifically for this type of gas/alcohol mixture. Also, your octane rating may vary depending on whether the e85 is a mixture of ethanol and 91 or 87 octane. Here in So Cal, they use 87 octane gas to make e85. I installed the flex fuel sensor and Zeitronix readout in my glove compartment so I'm sure what percentage of ethanol in my tank I have. It never hurts to take a sample of e85 gas, mix it with water to see the percentage of alcohol in the gas. I do it at least twice a year, since we don't really have winter blends in So Cal. It is my understanding that all of the hardware in most Fords since 2002 have the ability to withstand swelling in the presence of ethanol, especially since its really e10. Viton rubber seals and hoses are the answer. Natural rubber materials swell when in prolonged contact with alcohol gas mixtures.

92 and 95 are the main distributions in Denmark. I of course choose the 95 option.

BronxBomber

1000 Post Club
93 typically with a mix of E-85 (e30/40). If unavailable (there's only one station in my county) I resort to 92 octane.

Out of curiosity, has anyone dyno'd their stock FiST while running 87 octane? I filled my tank with 87 octane today to see what it was like and to save a couple of bucks while I was driving Uber (I'm in between jobs right now), and although I can feel a difference with the ol' Butt Dyno, it's really not half bad for normal driving.

dyn085

2000 Post Club
Out of curiosity, has anyone dyno'd their stock FiST while running 87 octane? I filled my tank with 87 octane today to see what it was like and to save a couple of bucks while I was driving Uber (I'm in between jobs right now), and although I can feel a difference with the ol' Butt Dyno, it's really not half bad for normal driving.
I haven't dyno'd on 87, but I took a ton of datalogs while using it to get my OAR adjustments while tuning. The FiST didn't hate it nearly as much as my FoST did. For someone that doesn't use WOT often it's actually not a horrible choice.

I tried 2.7 gallons of 100 octane topped off with 91 octane today, and boy does it wake the little guy up! For those playing at home, it's the equivalent of 93 octane, which we can't get here in California. 100 octane is pretty pricey ($9.87/gallon!!) so it's not something I'd do all the time, but it seems worth it for canyon runs and such.

TempeST

Lol no "other" selection? here in Hawaii it is 87/89/92... yeah odd that its 92. but for purposes of the thread. I am using 92 octane fuel. soon to be using 92+Meth