Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

What would you do?

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
What would I do? Do you want a new FiST? With the dwindling supply you better make a choice and move on it, waiting this long is painting many shoppers in corners. What I would do is buy the one I like and accept that the steals are gone, the time to buy was 6 months ago when selection was excellent and prices very low. Now almost any purchase will be a choice of Magnetic or Black close to me....the most common ST's still available looking at Ford's Build and Price in the major markets around here. The closest Fist to me is 90 miles away and black. I'll walk before owning a black car! I bought mine in '16 and am glad I did what I advise people to do and pass on new models. My '16 has revised head, no recall, stiffer RMM, no need to buy one, recalibrated suspension to reduce ride harshness. I believe the epitome of the USA FiST is the '19 but I can't do the Mountune MP-215 in a '19 so I'll keep my '16! Anytime you are late for a party your have to settle for what is left. So, I would make a choice and buy the car I want and eat the extra $30 a month for waiting too late because the car would be more important than the "deal" to me.

There a few more White cars out there. I know because I looked for them. Metallic and Black will be the most common colors available.

You can still get good deals. Some dealers will mark up, others won't, the key is finding the ones that don't. I got a call from one of the dealers I just haven't called back yet.

Calling Ford will get you both a listing for Fiesta ST's and ST Lines so be careful.

OP
WutApex
Thread Starter #24
Well, last night I picked up a Metallic that had 22mi on it (12 of the miles from Ford's QC check). Being that it was two hours away, I didn't really get to break it in as I was planning per the engine break-in thread here - got stuck in some bumper to bumper traffic then the rest was highway miles in which I tried to vary the speed.

I've owned SVTs as well as raced SN95s, so I'm looking forward to seeing how these new Ford Performance vehicles do and I hope to be an active member of this community...I have a lot of questions with this being my first performance vehicle under 8 cylinders and first with a turbo.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
Well, last night I picked up a Metallic that had 22mi on it (12 of the miles from Ford's QC check). Being that it was two hours away, I didn't really get to break it in as I was planning per the engine break-in thread here - got stuck in some bumper to bumper traffic then the rest was highway miles in which I tried to vary the speed.

I've owned SVTs as well as raced SN95s, so I'm looking forward to seeing how these new Ford Performance vehicles do and I hope to be an active member of this community...I have a lot of questions with this being my first performance vehicle under 8 cylinders and first with a turbo.
I take it you mean the color is magnetic? You will love the car! Good move!

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
Vary speed and don't dog it, change break-in oil at 1000 miles. Try not to do any really hard braking for a few hundred miles to seat the pads/rotors. The oil thing is a many hundreds of opinions. Mine is put the Motorcraft (Kendall) blend in as recommended by Ford I like some dino oil for break-in and so does Ford. At 3500 use the Motorcraft/Kendall full syn or any of the other full syn oils with Titanium additive has been US Government tested and showed longer engine life, lower temps and reduced friction. Motorcraft/Kendall had it first but patent ran out and many others are jumping on board now as they could not use it before. The Motorcraft full syn or the Kendall full syn are difficult to find in stores so my advice is use the easy to find Castrol Edge or order online for the Kendall GT 1, at my location is $5 a qt at my front door so I order a 2 cases at a time as my wife's car uses 10 qts and ours 4 qts. Lots of oil if you do as I do 3500 mile changes. Use the Motorcraft FL 400S oil filter as it is a little larger than the stock filter. Engines with proper break-in usually show slightly higher HP and longevity. Have fun with it after break-in!

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
I'm not going to lie I didn't break it in. I have had my oil changed and tires rotated four times in a 10,000 mile window free service agreement. I will be doing it myself after the free service runs out. I always check after the service but so far so good they even balance the tire pressure after rotation.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Vary speed and don't dog it, change break-in oil at 1000 miles. Try not to do any really hard braking for a few hundred miles to seat the pads/rotors. The oil thing is a many hundreds of opinions. Mine is put the Motorcraft (Kendall) blend in as recommended by Ford I like some dino oil for break-in and so does Ford. At 3500 use the Motorcraft/Kendall full syn or any of the other full syn oils with Titanium additive has been US Government tested and showed longer engine life, lower temps and reduced friction. Motorcraft/Kendall had it first but patent ran out and many others are jumping on board now as they could not use it before. The Motorcraft full syn or the Kendall full syn are difficult to find in stores so my advice is use the easy to find Castrol Edge or order online for the Kendall GT 1, at my location is $5 a qt at my front door so I order a 2 cases at a time as my wife's car uses 10 qts and ours 4 qts. Lots of oil if you do as I do 3500 mile changes. Use the Motorcraft FL 400S oil filter as it is a little larger than the stock filter. Engines with proper break-in usually show slightly higher HP and longevity. Have fun with it after break-in!
Thanks for the advice. Most of the trip back will be on interstate. I figured I'd vary speed within about a 15mph range, adjusting every 5 or 10 minutes by a few mph, changing between 5th and 6th gears. I thought about stopping every hour or so and also free revving in neutral while coasting every now and then too. Would that do it, or do I need to do other? Is that overkill?

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
Thanks for the advice. Most of the trip back will be on interstate. I figured I'd vary speed within about a 15mph range, adjusting every 5 or 10 minutes by a few mph, changing between 5th and 6th gears. I thought about stopping every hour or so and also free revving in neutral while coasting every now and then too. Would that do it, or do I need to do other? Is that overkill?
Just drive like your mom was driving, LOL. Really just normal driving. Don't be afraid to redline it just make sure it is warmed up. Break-in needs the full range of rpm's.

OP
WutApex
Thread Starter #31
Thought I read a thread on changing out the oil after 100mi. I'm coming up on 200 and was looking to do it tomorrow.

So is it really break in oil? And if so, should be in there longer than ~200mi?

SteveS

1000 Post Club
When I bought my Fiesta in 1978, there was an initial short break-in period for the engine of 300 miles, after which you had the oil changed and a number of things checked and tightened. But that was in the days when engines wore out in 60,000 miles or even less (though mine went 190,000 before my sister's boyfriend totaled the car). The oil in the car as delivered new nowadays is the same that they will put in at every oil change. There's no such thing as break-in oil any more (even in the old days it was the same oil you used later).

The idea of varying speed is meant to allow the rings to seat, which will lead to less oil consumption later in life, and better compression later. It's the acceleration which seats the rings.

If you've ever raced dirtbikes, you know the procedure, as it's still practiced on them.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
Feel free to change your oil early if you feel the need. The Ford recommendation is 10K miles but I doubt any ST owner does that long of an interval. Yes the original fill in mine was a dayglo green break-in oil with dye for leak detection. Changing at 100 or 200 will not harm anything but 1000 has worked fine for me for 50 years and I consider myself pretty anal when it comes to oil brand and changes. Had a BMW that went over 300K miles and never burned any oil, still ran great when I let it go. And that was dino oil! Change the oil and filter often, how often is all up to you.

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Had less than 500 miles when i bought it. Figured it had ben test driven hard a couple times. Plus the dealership drove it up here as a dealer trade. Was wot in the first 10 minutes i had the keys. Lol.