Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

When is it time for new shocks?

pixelzombie

My 2016 has about 56,000 miles on it and lately the front suspension feels so clunky. Hitting small bumps makes a thud noise as if it can't react to the road quickly enough. I don't recall having this issues last year. I've read the Bilstein B6 is a nice option which goes for a decent price. They look fairly straightforward to change, but I don't have a spring compressor and I don't want to risk injury with this install. What is the usual price to have them installed at a place like Tire Rack?

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Check the sway bar links & sway bar bushings those usually cause ALOT of clunking when hitting bumps. If you wanna be proactive NOW is the time to replace to maintain that OEM feel. If you wanna be frugal wait till 75k* The Best way to tell the Struts and shocks are worn ...you will need to Jounce the Bumper front and rear. Pushing down with either your hands or Knee. the suspension should return and NOT bounce more than twice. This Job is CAKE walk..plenty of SCREWtube videos on DIY* But if you want it done with Alignment $750+ with labor and parts. If you know someone that could help you you can save on labor and just get an alignment when your done.(y)

OP
pixelzombie

pixelzombie

Thread Starter #3
Check the sway bar links & sway bar bushings those usually cause ALOT of clunking when hitting bumps. If you wanna be proactive NOW is the time to replace to maintain that OEM feel. If you wanna be frugal wait till 75k* The Best way to tell the Struts and shocks are worn ...you will need to Jounce the Bumper front and rear. Pushing down with either your hands or Knee. the suspension should return and NOT bounce more than twice. This Job is CAKE walk..plenty of SCREWtube videos on DIY* But if you want it done with Alignment $750+ with labor and parts. If you know someone that could help you you can save on labor and just get an alignment when your done.(y)
Thanks for the info. Hopefully youtube has a few videos on checking the sway bar links.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thanks for the info. Hopefully youtube has a few videos on checking the sway bar links.
You can check them with a visual inspection* The ball and joint that attaches to the sway bar and strut will become dislodged or develop play. The sway bar can be checked with a visual inspection and pry bar. The bar itself will move a little/minutely but if the Sway bushings are worn it will move a lot and cause clunking.

kevinatfms

I replace the OE by 60,000 miles. The replacement style improved performance shocks usually last a bit longer(Bilstein B6/B8 and Koni Sports). Replacement OE shocks will have the same 60,000 mile lifespan.

The front upper strut mounts will wear faster than the shocks will.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Hard slam, bottoming out, insanely stiff = springs
Bouncy ride, excessive suspension travel, sloppy dampening = struts

That said, there were certain roadways (rarely traveled for me anymore) that may resonate with the suspension at a certain speed-range. The colder it is, the more suspension travel there may be. These did this new off the car lot. The difference between this "resonance" vs failing is, dampening is definitely occurring. The suspension travel is controlled, consistent. Failing you may get different behavior from different corners.

Personally don't believe there's a particular mileage for which struts/springs last or need to be replaced; that hasn't been my experience with any vehicle thus far.