Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

when should i do my first oil change ?

i have a 2016 ford fiesta st got it brand new from the dealer currently at 1k miles when should i do my first oil change?

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
I did mine at 1300 miles. I used the Motorcraft FL400S filter and the Motorcraft Syn blend. At 3000 I will change again but refill with the Motorcraft Full Synthetic, it is Kendall GT but much cheaper through the Ford brand. The break-in oil was pretty dirty looking so I feel good about getting it and the filter changed. The FL400S is a little longer for more surface area filtering. One of a hundred opinions I am sure. So when should YOU do it? When YOU feel comfortable with doing it , early or at the Ford interval. Your car your choice! The reason I did it early was I just can't see changing oil too early as bad.....just doing it too late is!

koozy

3000 Post Club
I did my first change at 5,000 here are the Blackstone results.

I also cut the factory installed filter open. Note that that the OE filter is shorter than the FL-910S, the part number on it is 1714387BM5G6714AA. The condition was pretty good, the filter media does not appear to be full of particles to the naked eye. There were some larger contaminants outside in the residual oil inside the can, but nothing that made it back into the motor as the filter was doing it's job preventing that.

The factory installed filter is a good filter with more pleats than the 910s.

i did it at 100, and 750 today, now I will do 3k intervals... (sort of following the engine break in 101, but TIFU)

TIFU, I brain farted hard and started my car dry (at least I filled up my filter....) for a split second because I couldn't stop the "crank and start" due to push start, i couldn't just let go of the key.... I was frantically pushing the push start button trying to stop it from starting, but atlas.... I heard the engine fire up for half a second and my heart sunk... nothing happened, and the car seems fine. First for everything in life.

Lesson: always put oil in regardless of situation. :(

Not to thread hijack but... the engineer in me tells me nothing actually happened and no damage was done due to short time frame, but car lover in me is crying. Anyone know for certain?

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
OMG......It is ruined, totally destroyed, worthless paper weight, will start to burn a quart a day any minute.........you should at this point commit a long and painful suicide after willing the car to me.

Or just accept that the rings and bearings had as much oil as any cold start and forget about it. I prefer you do the first, it could even be quick and painless.

Wrench on![wrenchin]

OMG......It is ruined, totally destroyed, worthless paper weight, will start to burn a quart a day any minute.........you should at this point commit a long and painful suicide after willing the car to me.

Or just accept that the rings and bearings had as much oil as any cold start and forget about it. I prefer you do the first, it could even be quick and painless.

Wrench on![wrenchin]
lol my wife would get the car tho :(

Did mine at 4960 and slept easy. Any SN oil is great oil. Change when you're ready. Enjoy the miles, don't sweat oil changes.

I did the Break-in 101 thing as well; oil change at 100 miles, then 750, then around 4000. Have 6750 on her now so will do another soon. Also changed the transmission oil at 750. Don't know if the BI 101 procedure will make that big of a difference, but it can't hurt and I did see a lot of little particles in the 100-mile change (and some in the 750). I also didn't exceed 2500 RPMs during the first 1500 miles and varied said RPMs in each gear as specified by BI 101. Getting about 33 mpg w/ ~65% highway driving (using Shell Nitro premium).