Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Whine in 5th and 6th gear only when on the throttle.

Newbie FiST owner here. Bought a 2017 one owner bone stock with 35K on it. I have read a ton of transmission threads but cannot determine if what I am hearing is the dreaded input shaft bearing. When in 5th or 6th gear and only when on the throttle I get a noticeable whine. Once I let off the whine is gone. Have to have the radio on or it sounds like straight cut gears. Trans shifts and drives fine, but I do hear a very tiny rattle when the trans is cold getting into 1st and 2nd when releasing the clutch. The rattle goes away as soon as it is in gear, and have only heard it when first driving the car, it goes away after a couple miles. Is this the input shaft bearing? Or is this just the nature of these transmissions?

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Newbie FiST owner here. Bought a 2017 one owner bone stock with 35K on it. I have read a ton of transmission threads but cannot determine if what I am hearing is the dreaded input shaft bearing. When in 5th or 6th gear and only when on the throttle I get a noticeable whine. Once I let off the whine is gone. Have to have the radio on or it sounds like straight cut gears. Trans shifts and drives fine, but I do hear a very tiny rattle when the trans is cold getting into 1st and 2nd when releasing the clutch. The rattle goes away as soon as it is in gear, and have only heard it when first driving the car, it goes away after a couple miles. Is this the input shaft bearing? Or is this just the nature of these transmissions?
Put some New/Different fluid in there...Ravenol MTF-2 OR MTF-3 or BG synchroshift* See if that helps. Alot of theses Transmissions were under filled and the Dealer would fill with 2L After total replacement or servicing the Unit.

Sam4

I'm right there with you on the straight cut sound. Just skated thru inspection with tires only @ 102,000, but all monies go to Pumaspeed this spring....

Same - mine’s the turbo spooling if above 2k rpm’s. Unsure if a trans issue would
matter whether you are on or off throttle.