Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Whoosh RMM Race Spec vs Street

So I know this has been posted before, but I keep seeing conflicting information on these. I installed the race spec yesterday, after reading that the NVH was noticeable but not unbearable, and that the yellow street bushings tend to fail due to heat. Well it’s pretty brutal, I have a Thermal R&D cat back with poly hangers, but that’s it, and at certain rpm’s it is intense. Is there anything I could have done wrong such as over torquing it? Or is this just the nature of the beast? Are the cases where peoples street bushings failed more rare than it comes off online? Do these bushings break in over time? I’d happily just order a new street mount but just don’t want to waste my time replacing bushings.

I eventually plan to put yellow inserts in both of the other engine mounts shortly.

The bushings will break in over time but it's still gonna be harsh over all, but more bearable versus when first intalled. You're also probably better off just upgrading the passenger side mount and trans/drivers side instead of stiffening up the stock mounts. The passenger side can snap the if its too stiff. What I have for Whoosh products on my car(previous owner did the upgrades) I've been impressed and plan on either going with Whoosh for the RMM or buying the Damond Motor Sports engine mount street kit which includes the pass/rmm mounts. Also as someone helped helped correct me Vibra-Technics sells all 3. Thanks again Ford ST for the right info.

Last edited:

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
I had a street spec mount actually made a video on it when I did it. I was quite happy with it but over time it did stretch out. I replaced it with a Vibra-Technics.

Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatalk

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
The bushings will break in over time but it's still gonna be harsh over all, but more bearable versus when first intalled. You're also probably better off just upgrading the passenger side mount and trans/drivers side instead of stiffening up the stock mounts. The passenger side can snap the if its too stiff. What I have for Whoosh products on my car(previous owner did the upgrades) I've been impressed and plan on either going with Whoosh for the RMM or buying the Damond Motor Sports engine mount street kit which includes all 3 mounts.
Damond does not make all 3 engine mounts. I have a Damond passenger side engine mount. They only make 2 of them. You should go with Vibra-trchnics. They do make all 3.

Damond does not make all 3 engine mounts. I have a Damond passenger side engine mount. They only make 2 of them. You should go with Vibra-trchnics. They do make all 3.

Nice! How do you like it? Forgot all about Vibra-Technics being the one with all 3 and not Damond, good looking out.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Nice! How do you like it? Forgot all about Vibra-Technics being the one with all 3 and not Damond, good looking out.
It is okay but I would go with the Vibra-trchnics. The bushings don't fit very tight in the Damond well at lest the street version.

It is okay but I would go with the Vibra-trchnics. The bushings don't fit very tight in the Damond well at lest the street version.

Good to know. I plan on replacing all 3 in the spring. The factory mounts and bushings are getting long in the tooth with 73,000 miles on them.

OP
saccocrap
Thread Starter #8
The bushings will break in over time but it's still gonna be harsh over all, but more bearable versus when first intalled. You're also probably better off just upgrading the passenger side mount and trans/drivers side instead of stiffening up the stock mounts. The passenger side can snap the if its too stiff. What I have for Whoosh products on my car(previous owner did the upgrades) I've been impressed and plan on either going with Whoosh for the RMM or buying the Damond Motor Sports engine mount street kit which includes the pass/rmm mounts. Also as someone helped helped correct me Vibra-Technics sells all 3. Thanks again Ford ST for the right info.
Is this still a concern when upgrading to the ARP bolt for the mount?

So I know this has been posted before, but I keep seeing conflicting information on these. I installed the race spec yesterday, after reading that the NVH was noticeable but not unbearable, and that the yellow street bushings tend to fail due to heat. Well it’s pretty brutal, I have a Thermal R&D cat back with poly hangers, but that’s it, and at certain rpm’s it is intense. Is there anything I could have done wrong such as over torquing it? Or is this just the nature of the beast? Are the cases where peoples street bushings failed more rare than it comes off online? Do these bushings break in over time? I’d happily just order a new street mount but just don’t want to waste my time replacing bushings.

I eventually plan to put yellow inserts in both of the other engine mounts shortly.
Are you running your car's front window defroster? I'm pretty sure that uses the A/C condenser and at idle, when the condenser is running the NVH is at its absolute worst. When i was breaking in my vibra-technics street spec RMM, at idle with A/C the whole car would vibrate like a cheap honeymoon suite motel bed (AKA you could feel it but felt...wrong). at speed with A/C there wasn't a huge difference though.

After about a month all the vibrations went away. But that was with a different less hardcore RMM compared to the whoosh race spec.

Last edited:

I've read the poly inserts in the PSMM and the transmission mount start to deteriorate over time. Not due to heat but just from normal wear.

After some exhaustive research I begrudgingly decded to go Vibra Technics on all 3. their RMM seems to be the best option for set-it-and-forget and i've had nothing but good things to say about since installing it about 4 months ago. so i'll go with them for the other two mounts and upgrade the ARP bolt before my BT install.

Dialcaliper

My Whoosh RMM bushings “rounded out” as well. I contacted Ron and he confirmed that any poly mounts will eventually wear out, especially the RMM bushings which take a lot of abuse. The “race spec” bushings are supposed to last longer

Ron sells the replacement bushings for $25-30 which is quite reasonable for a wear part

Are you running a tune? If so, the higher idle (850) helps a lot with the NVH. I just replaced the whoosh RMM with “race spec” bushings, as well as the transmission insert and engine mount pineapple slice (the previous one was also failing) with the “Black” power flex, and the vibration is not much worse than with the “street” bushings. Noticable, yes, but mild enough that it doesn’t bother me

My Whoosh RMM bushings “rounded out” as well.
Would the street spec bushings wear out to that point within a year of installing the RMM? I've been running Dizzy stage 2 tune mostly and E30 several times in the past year, the last time I ran E30 the engine started feeling like it was shifting around again like it did before the whoosh RMM. I ordered the pineapple slice insert, drivers side insert and upgrade bolt, but this thread makes me wonder if I should order new RMM bushings while I'm at it.

Dialcaliper

Would the street spec bushings wear out to that point within a year of installing the RMM? I've been running Dizzy stage 2 tune mostly and E30 several times in the past year, the last time I ran E30 the engine started feeling like it was shifting around again like it did before the whoosh RMM. I ordered the pineapple slice insert, drivers side insert and upgrade bolt, but this thread makes me wonder if I should order new RMM bushings while I'm at it.
I'm not sure how long the RMM had been on my car, as it was there when I bought it earlier this year. The car had been run on various tunes including an E30 tune by a previous owner.

I just happened to notice it when I had the car idling with the A/C on and looked underneath - the small bushing was rounded out enough that the engine was visibly rocking on the bushing. When I removed it to replace it, the hole in the poly bushing had been enlarged by heat and wear to the point that it was quite loose on the pin.

You can also just get under there with the car off, and shake the engine bracket back and forth to see if it moves.

I imagine it will vary depending on how hard you drive the car, but a couple years would make sense.

One thing I noticed is that with the worn bushing, the idle was quite smooth - without the A/C on, it simply wasn't even making contact with the bushings. With A/C on, it was bouncing off the bushing. I definitely had torque-steer issues that improved significantly when I replaced it.

The RMM bushings are definitely in a place where they take a lot of abuse, and I'd really consider them consumables that need to be replaced every so often. I guess I'll find out if the Race-spec motor mounts I installed will last a bit longer

If the Whoosh mount hadn't been already installed when I got the car, I may have considered a different style like the Vibratechnics mount which uses a rubber bushing if I'm not mistaken. The poly bushings don't seem long lasting in high heat situations (like the RMM sitting right under the catalyst) since they soften up a bit when warm