Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Whose car do I have?

Hi guys! I am FiST to Death's wife and I wanted to thank you all for giving him such a warm welcome! I'm thrilled to finally have a FiST; I've been listing after them ever since I test drove one new in 2014 but couldn't make the financing work while in school. Now we have one and it is a blast!
I wanted a car to work on with the hubs; we actually fell for each other working on our cars (I had some ridiculous crap I was so proud of years ago.. 🤣) but he has taught me so much and I'm thrilled to have another project, and one that is starting as a fast, fun car to begin with!

Anyway, thanks again guys! I'm looking forward to learning a lot here and getting to know you all!

while you are under the car I would suggest a long hard look at the timing belt. There is an inspection port at the bottom rear side of the belt cover. You could also just bite the bullet and replace the timing belt. BTW, having read up on what is involved plan on 2 solid days of work and you will want to look at the list of specific tools needed for the job and the bolts you will have to purchase, IRRC the crankshaft pulley bolts are one time only items so don't be tempted to try and use them again.

I'll also tell you that the official factory service manual can be purchased from Helm publishing. It comes on a DVD and covers every procedure written for the Fiesta and Fiesta ST. Downside is that it's an HTML document that Ford went a bit overboard on the copy protection so you have to have the disk in the drive to access any of the data or procedures and I have not been able to figure out how to print a section. BTW, the only way to get a printout is by using screenshots and pasting those all together in a JPG file. When I printed out the procedure for replacing he radiator it took me about 2 hours to get on paper. Basically if you get the Service Manual plan on dedicating a DVD enabled laptop to that specific task.

Last edited:

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
Hi guys! I am FiST to Death's wife and I wanted to thank you all for giving him such a warm welcome! I'm thrilled to finally have a FiST; I've been listing after them ever since I test drove one new in 2014 but couldn't make the financing work while in school. Now we have one and it is a blast!
I wanted a car to work on with the hubs; we actually fell for each other working on our cars (I had some ridiculous crap I was so proud of years ago.. 🤣) but he has taught me so much and I'm thrilled to have another project, and one that is starting as a fast, fun car to begin with!

Anyway, thanks again guys! I'm looking forward to learning a lot here and getting to know you all!
I know you will find this community helpful. I certainly have.

If you want to make a project out of this car, the sky's the limit.

These videos really show why the ST is not your typical Fiesta. The power train alone makes it a keeper.

View: https://youtu.be/DI0aPrdP0d0

View: https://youtu.be/M7YKS9CnpJg

OP
FiST to death
Thread Starter #26
My First Fiesta MKI was like that back in the early 90’s picked it up for $400 drove it on Waiters on Wheels in San Francisco till it died. But it get hit by people as well and I got paid to own it lol. Guy opened his door on me on Haight street like a idiot. Bam got my $400 dollars back and did not fix it. Car was a rust bucket anyways. My second one was nice it was a Fiesta Sport. I think I paid like $750 for it.
The Volvo I gave my parents ended up totaled twice in the time they had it for minor damage that was someone else's fault, they elected to keep it (for the $300 difference in the settlement both times) and I'm guessing got back all maintenance and insurance costs they incurred the whole time they had it from those. lol

OP
FiST to death
Thread Starter #27
while you are under the car I would suggest a long hard look at the timing belt. There is an inspection port at the bottom rear side of the belt cover. You could also just bite the bullet and replace the timing belt. BTW, having read up on what is involved plan on 2 solid days of work and you will want to look at the list of specific tools needed for the job and the bolts you will have to purchase, IRRC the crankshaft pulley bolts are one time only items so don't be tempted to try and use them again.

I'll also tell you that the official factory service manual can be purchased from Helm publishing. It comes on a DVD and covers every procedure written for the Fiesta and Fiesta ST. Downside is that it's an HTML document that Ford went a bit overboard on the copy protection so you have to have the disk in the drive to access any of the data or procedures and I have not been able to figure out how to print a section. BTW, the only way to get a printout is by using screenshots and pasting those all together in a JPG file. When I printed out the procedure for replacing he radiator it took me about 2 hours to get on paper. Basically if you get the Service Manual plan on dedicating a DVD enabled laptop to that specific task.
Yeah, I know I'm doing that once I've got everything buttoned back up from this little adventure- I didn't want to pull ALL of it apart at once and not know quite what went where afterwards, and I figure I'll put on everything but the new intercooler and the tune so I can drive it reasonably stock during the clutch break-in period, then do the rest once I know everything is working properly. It's a third (fourth? There's a Kawasaki Versys around here somewhere too... lol) vehicle, so we can take it slow on the timing belt job and do it right, same as the clutch.

OP
FiST to death
Thread Starter #28
Got the transmission out last night, definitely needed the slave cylinder and a new clutch, but confirmed it was the original at 144k miles (stamped manufactured 9/7/2013) and the Fidenza flywheel goes in tonight (new bolts arrived today, I'm not doing all this again for a $18 savings by reusing the old ones... lol) Waiting on the clutch from @ron@whoosh and then it starts going back together, he's been super attentive and helpful 👌. Prices are great, too!

Attachments

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Well, I sold my Evo VIII, a Firebird Formula
DO TELL about the Poncho above!
Was it a 3rd gen, 4th gen, or earlier? Engine? Mods?

I got out of an '00 4th gen Z28 LS1 manual, bought and ordered with no options new, and into this car only because it dropped a lifter, which basically meant, with an LS1 (where you must pull the heads to get to the lifters), either a full rebuild, or a swapped crate, or used LS1/LS6.

Given that it already had well over 200K HARD, the life beaten out of it miles on it, I chose to buy this little rocket, new, instead, since I was offered the zero down, zero interest, long term loan from Ford, and would have had to take out a very high interest, short term unsecured personal loan in order to fix the Camaro.

Last edited:
OP
FiST to death
Thread Starter #33
DO TELL about the Poncho above!
Was it a 3rd gen, 4th gen, or earlier? Engine? Mods?

I got out of an '00 4th gen Z28 LS1 manual, bought and ordered with no options new, and into this car only because it dropped a lifter, which basically meant, with an LS1 (where you must pull the heads to get to the lifters), either a full rebuild, or a swapped crate, or used LS1/LS6.

Given that it already had well over 200K HARD, the life beaten out of it miles on it, I chose to buy this little rocket, new, instead, since I was offered the zero down, zero interest, long term loan from Ford, and would have had to take out a very high interest, short term unsecured personal loan in order to fix the Camaro.

It was a 1994 LT1, basically just bolt ons, exhaust, and nitrous with a ridiculous audio/video system. :) I shake my head at some of the things I spent money on when I was 23.