Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Traction Control caught napping ?

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Alright. Clear sunny hot dry. Stop light. Three lanes. Due to construction, the entrance to the highway, the far right lane, ends in ~200 ft. A result of poor signage, I'm in the far right. Light turns green. Brief safety nap, try a quick takeoff, start to go then... sitting there... tires embarrassingly [facepalm] screeching like mad... still sitting there... back off the accelerator a little... finally start to go. Shift 2nd, briefly starts to screech again, back-off a hair.

Odd. It's not like the e-brake was on, popped the clutch at high-RPM or was flooring it.

Shouldn't TC have kicked-in ? Wasn't turned off, but may as well have been. 100% stock. Only code that I'm aware of is TPS related.

OP
Intuit

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #5
What year and build date? Lol just kidding, I got nothing [dunno]
2016, 2nd quarter IIRC. :)
Starting out on the painted stripes? Greasy road?
Didn't start-out on it but it's a likelihood that this thin strip is where traction initially broke. While I've never "popped" the clutch on this car, I have had TC quickly interject before and was pretty effective. Didn't get a look at the dash to see if that light was pulsing this time.

OP
Intuit

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #7
That's interesting. That made me ask the question...
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/28000-traction-control-explained.htm
<<..........................Enter electronic traction control. In modern vehicles, traction-control systems utilize the same wheel-speed sensors employed by the antilock braking system. These sensors measure differences in rotational speed to determine if the wheels that are receiving power have lost traction. When the traction-control system determines that one wheel is spinning more quickly than the others, it automatically "pumps" the brake to that wheel to reduce its speed and lessen wheel slip. In most cases, individual wheel braking is enough to control wheel slip. However, some traction-control systems also reduce engine power to the slipping wheels. On a few of these vehicles, drivers may sense pulsations of the gas pedal when the system is reducing engine power much like a brake pedal pulsates when the antilock braking system is working..........................>>

I assumed our vehicles just limited engine power. So that made me look in the Owner's Manual...
<<PRINCIPLE OF OPERATION
The traction control system helps avoid
drive wheel spin and loss of traction.
If your vehicle begins to slide, the system
applies the brakes to individual wheels
and, when needed, reduces engine power
at the same time. If the wheels spin when
accelerating on slippery or loose surfaces,
the system reduces engine power in order
to increase traction.

USING TRACTION CONTROL
WARNING
The stability and traction control
light illuminates steadily if the
system detects a failure. Make sure
you did not manually disable the traction
control system using the information
display controls or the switch. If the
stability control and traction control light
is still illuminating steadily, have the
system serviced by an authorized dealer
immediately. Operating your vehicle with
the traction control disabled could lead to
an increased risk of loss of vehicle control,
vehicle rollover, personal injury and death.
The system automatically turns on each
time you switch the ignition on.
If your vehicle is stuck in mud or snow,
switching traction control off may be
beneficial as this allows the wheels to spin.
Note:When you switch traction control off,
stability control remains fully active. ...........................>>

Okay so our vehicles employ both braking and a reduction in engine power reduction.

Based on that your comment CanadianGuy, my guess is, the system doesn't actually reduce engine power by very much. Most of the perceived power reduction with uneven wheel traction is probably a result of the braking, overriding the engine/accelerator.

GAbOS

That's in the general idea but you have to understand these are ecu software programs that are fine tuned for our chassis. Or any car is really. Start giving the ecu some steering inputs and I bet it will kick the ESC harder.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Based on that your comment CanadianGuy, my guess is, the system doesn't actually reduce engine power by very much. Most of the perceived power reduction with uneven wheel traction is probably a result of the braking, overriding the engine/accelerator.
Oh you will know when in bogs. In winter with TC on I can make it bog which means the engine cuts power to max 2k. I actually turn it to sports mode in winter to have more control.

OP
Intuit

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #10
Right; consider that it may not be bogging as much in response to a reduction in engine power, as it is a response to the braking. Ever since the Toyota sudden acceleration concerns, all manufacturers have reportedly been incorporating a safety measure that allows the brakes to override the accelerator. So if you're spinning both wheels and has "no reason" to brake, then engine power isn't really going to be noticeably affected.