Hello and welcome to our Fiesta ST Forum community! Is this your first visit?
Register

See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

User Tag List

0%
    Rate Transaction

Medals

City
    North Bay
    State
    CA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mixing Bridgestone's with Firestone's?

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hi guys,

I need to replace my front OEM bridgstone re050a which are down to 3/32”. I would prefer to try the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500’s since they are newer and a lot cheaper. However, my rear Re050’s are still about 7/32” and prefer not to replace until they have worn down further.

I primarily just commute in my FiST with some aggressive cornering. Any issues? Also, which ones should I have on the front that would least upset the cornering balance?

Thanks

Administrator Staff Team 499 Rep Points MKVIIST's Avatar
    Ratings | Rate Transaction

Medals
    Earned First 5 Rep Points Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 75 Rep Points Earned First 100 Rep Points  
    State
    AZ
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Zombie View Post
    Hi guys,

I need to replace my front OEM bridgstone re050a which are down to 3/32”. I would prefer to try the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500’s since they are newer and a lot cheaper. However, my rear Re050’s are still about 7/32” and prefer not to replace until they have worn down further.

I primarily just commute in my FiST with some aggressive cornering. Any issues? Also, which ones should I have on the front that would least upset the cornering balance?

Thanks
    2014 Fiesta ST - Mountune Intake, Cobb Tune, 3M Clear Bra, 3M Window Tint, ESM Wheels, BC Coilovers, Bazooka Bass Tube, Rockford Fosgate Amp
    2016 Focus RS - Focus RS Build

Want a free FiestaSTForum decal? Click Here
    Follow Us On: Facebook - Twitter - Instagram - Google+ - Flickr

Member 135 Rep Points
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Medals
    Earned First 5 Rep Points Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 75 Rep Points Earned First 100 Rep Points  
    City
    Vienna
    State
    VA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2 Likes

That would be fine. You may consider getting 4 of them if you come across a coupon or sale for buying 4. Then you can put the other two on when the RE05As wear down. I would put the new tires on the rear. That way the stock tires will wear faster and you can get rid of them sooner and put the Firestones on all 4 corners. Also, having better tires on the rear is probably safer as you'll tend to understeer if you get into trouble. Safer than oversteer.

0%
    Rate Transaction

Medals

City
    North Bay
    State
    CA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you gents!

0%
    Rate Transaction

Medals

City
    Florence
    State
    KY
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LOL idk about understeer being safer than oversteer... It should be a requirement that everyone should have to autocross your car or learn the dynamics of understeer and oversteer and how to correct either one. The scariest moments of driving for me have been understeer followed by panic before I knew how to correct it.

But yes you want to put the "better/more tread wear" tires on the rear but thats hard to do usually in a FWD car - basically youd never rotate the tires.

Member 22 Rep Points tiggerbren's Avatar
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Medals
    Earned First 5 Rep Points  
    City
    albuquerque
    State
    NM
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't burn your Bridges.

Member 74 Rep Points
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Medals
    Earned First 5 Rep Points Earned First 25 Rep Points  
    City
    LA
    State
    CA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joker328 View Post
    That would be fine. You may consider getting 4 of them if you come across a coupon or sale for buying 4. Then you can put the other two on when the RE05As wear down. I would put the new tires on the rear. That way the stock tires will wear faster and you can get rid of them sooner and put the Firestones on all 4 corners. Also, having better tires on the rear is probably safer as you'll tend to understeer if you get into trouble. Safer than oversteer.
    +1

I don't think the under/over steer will be a big issue unless you are really aggressive or perhaps driving in bad weather, but I would also think that you would tone it down anyway at this point since the tread is so low at least until you get all 4 new tires on. This will also keep the wear low on your new Indy's.

You can still rotate front left to front right and rear left to rear right if needed.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Senior Member 115 Rep Points me32's Avatar
    Ratings | Rate Transaction

Medals
    City
    fairfield
    State
    CA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    For the street they will be fine. Tracking the car would maybe a different story
    2008 Shelby GT500
    2921 out of 6513 coupes
    132 of 314 Alloy Metallic
    Shelby Dash Plaque,FRPP TVS Super power pack ,Drag Pack,SVT handling pack,FRPP Cobra Jet TB/MAF/80lb injectors,J&M UCA,LCA,Adj.PHB,SFC,PH A/D,O/R H, DynoMax 3in,CHE, Shelby Rad/HE,VMP 2.59,KB BAP,L&M plenum,BMR KMEMEBER,AED CUSTOM RETURN STYLE FUEL SYSTEM.
    91/E85 tune by SHAUN AT AED
    700HP/700TQ ON E85
    10.78 @ 129MPH 1.644 60FT

2014 Fiesta ST Green Envy Tricoat
    2014 Tuxedo Black Fusion