Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

neeqness

1000 Post Club
A lot of it is personal preference so it's still fairly difficult to say what will work for you. But to start with, I'd recommend either a 195/55 or a 205/50. Both sizes have a decently large selection of tires and brands to choose from.
Mostly commuting with occasional spirited driving/canyon runs. Thanks for replying!
How is your budget? What brands or types of tires have you liked in the past on previous cars?

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

neeqness

1000 Post Club
You know I was actually considering a 175/65 at first because I wanted to add as much sidewall too. But my wheels are 6.5 and I prefer some built in rim protection. After a lot of consideration I found myself back at a 195/60.

What's interesting is that I've also been considering a rally (non-winter) setup sometime in the distant future. At first I was considering getting a 4x4 suv or truck but then I was thinking this car might just do ok with the right tires on it...but I'm fairly new to the rally scene. Would you have any recommendation on a rally, non-winter tire if that tire will still see normal roads? Preference is for a quieter tire at highway speeds but function is still preferred overall to comfort.

FULLY agreed, but my winter setup ALSO has to double as a rally volunteer worker setup on VERY bombed-out gravel/rock/shale surface fire/logging roads, so I MUST HAVE as much side wall as possible, which will fit into the wheels wells without rubbing drastically at factory ride height. :(

The actual rally cars themselves use 65 and 70 profile gravel tires for these conditions, with HEAVILY reinforced side walls (and carcasses).

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^The actual gravel rally tires (NOT rally spec ice/snow specific tires), although they look like they are just not micro-siped winter tire, would suck WORSE THAN pure summer tires in the cold, let alone on any ice or snow, since the compounding is TOTALLY different, and the tread pattern will not bite into the snow/slush/ice at all.

IF you are just going for a 'look', it is not worth doing, since you will give up almost ALL handling on hard pavement, the turn-in will be as bad as a town car, and real gravel tires will last less miles on hot tarmac than even 00 tread wear full race slicks (IF driven hard on hot pavement, you will actually see the tread blocks flying off of the carcass in big chunks!).
All the while they will cost you $175-$250+ A tire, and deafen you with their screaming on the highway.

IF you are not going off road, on gravel/dirt, driving VERY FAST, they are a REALLY BAD idea.

Now if you are asking about competing in SCCA Rallycross (basically an autocross, around a coned course, on dirt/gravel/grass) and a setup for that, then YES, the wealthy/serious competitors use new gravel tires, put on and taken off AT the event, or if on a budget, used take-off gravel tires from a Pro/stage rally team (IF one can find these!), or just a harder, NON ice oriented (NO sponge soft 'micro-sipes') winter tire.

Last edited:

neeqness

1000 Post Club
I don't think I will need full on gravel tires. I don't plan to actually do any rally racing. Just some tires with some offroad capability. I plan to start traveling "off the beaten path" occassionally and would like some tires capable of handling that as well as the pavement. It wont be in the cold either, just summer weather, should never drop below high 60s. Actually I probably won't be going that fast so maybe they don't really have to be rally tires. But if you have any suggestions for tires that fit this, I'm all ears.
^^^The actual gravel rally tires (NOT rally spec ice/snow specific tires), although they look like they are just not micro-siped winter tire, would suck WORSE THAN pure summer tires in the cold, let alone on any ice or snow, since the compounding is TOTALLY different, and the tread pattern will not bite into the snow/slush/ice at all.

IF you are just going for a 'look', it is not worth doing, since you will give up almost ALL handling on hard pavement, the turn-in will be as bad as a town car, and real gravel tires will last less miles on hot tarmac than even 00 tread wear full race slicks (IF driven hard on hot pavement, you will actually see the tread blocks flying off of the carcass in big chunks!).
All the while they will cost you $175-$250+ A tire, and deafen you with their screaming on the highway.

IF you are not going off road, on gravel/dirt, driving VERY FAST, they are a REALLY BAD idea.

Now if you are asking about competing in SCCA Rallycross (basically an autocross, around a coned course, on dirt/gravel/grass) and a setup for that, then YES. the wealthy/serious competitors use new gravel tires, put on and taken off AT the event, or if on a budget, used take-off gravel tires from a Pro/stage rally team (IF one can find these!), or just a harder, NON ice oriented (NO sponge soft 'micro-sipes) winter tire.

So, my TD 15x7 pro race 1.2wheels just got delivered. Can some people chime in on what tire is best? I have stock suspension and all that. And no track days just daily driven (I like to go fast!).

neeqness

1000 Post Club
Engine upgrades?
So, my TD 15x7 pro race 1.2wheels just got delivered. Can some people chime in on what tire is best? I have stock suspension and all that. And no track days just daily driven (I like to go fast!).

Sadly, not much.. just a mishi oil catch can and a velosstech bigmouth. I also have a COBB cat back exhaust that I haven’t installed yet.

Here’s the specs; 16”x7” XXR522(17 lbs) gold, wrapped in
BFG Comp-2 205/50/16, Swift SpecR springs(1” drop)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd pick either 195/55/15 or 205/55/15 (beefy) on stock suspension if lowered go with 205/50/15 (best performance). If you want to get a couple seasons out of the tires look for 400-500+ treadwear lots of options in 195/55/15

I've got cooper cs5 ultra touring 195/55/15s on 15x7 wheels and I've got 3 seasons out of them and they handle everything I've thrown at them I'll be buying again.

I have those wheels and run a 205/55R15 Yokohama S.drive (400 treadwear rating). I'm pretty happy with them and will probably go with the same combo when these wear out. I'm on the stock height suspension.

With stock turbo they have plenty of grip. With the MRX turbo and other mods they don't quite have enough traction if you want maximum acceleration in the lower gears.

neeqness

1000 Post Club
Were you looking within a particular price range?
Sadly, not much.. just a mishi oil catch can and a velosstech bigmouth. I also have a COBB cat back exhaust that I haven’t installed yet.

LaserWhisperer

These just showed up at my door.

Focal F05s 15x7
Falken Azenis RT615k+
205/50R15

Super excited to throw these on this weekend!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

neeqness

1000 Post Club
These just showed up at my door.

Focal F05s 15x7
Falken Azenis RT615k+
205/50R15

Super excited to throw these on this weekend!

Those are the same wheels that I'm using! Not bad for the price. Hope you like them.

neeqness

1000 Post Club
Haha, looks cool. I get the impression they look nice at freeway speeds from expressions I've seen from other people but I can't say for sure as I've never seen my wheels spin since I'm always driving, lol.

Have you driven them yet?
I couldn't wait

LaserWhisperer

I'm about to put a Yakima rocket box on top of my PB FiST for a journey to Florida.....how did you deal with the factory antenna?
Went with the stubbiest of stubbies from ron@whoosh

The factory one was a bit too long, it would get pinched between the rack and spoiler, making a terrible groan and preventing the hatch from fully opening.

I'm about to put a Yakima rocket box on top of my PB FiST for a journey to Florida.....how did you deal with the factory antenna?
I just unscrew my antenna and put a little piece of vinyl over the opening to keep it from collecting water whenever I use the top box. I never use FM radio anyways, and the little antenna has nothing to do with satellite radio.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I just unscrew my antenna and put a little piece of vinyl over the opening to keep it from collecting water whenever I use the top box. I never use FM radio anyways, and the little antenna has nothing to do with satellite radio.

I bought the stubbiest of Stubbs antenna from Whoosh! I guess I chose wisely...

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk