Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

JUDGEMENT FREE cheap tire discussion - Want to upsize to some sticky All Seasons

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #42
If they don't have the 200/45s that you wish, try looking for a 215 size. They do have a 215 45 R 16,
A 215 40 R16 might also fit (but Milestar don't have them).
Tire calculator can give you some alternatives.
Just make sure it'll fit, before purchasing.
Yes, I'm keeping factory black 17", and really want a little bit wider at 215/40/17... there are limited choices in that size, I think the Federal SS595 for sticky tires or Ohtsu FP7000 for longer lasting, both around $65 are my 2 choices right now...

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
This thread is for us who absolutely HAVE to go with an inexpensive tire. Remember the FiST is an economy car so please, no judgments about cheap tires, there ARE a few diamonds in the rough out there. I just need a good daily tire in an area that is mild and rainy. I want to go with one that is sticky but also a bit wider at 215/40/17, which will also add ~0.3" for a touch more height/cushion as well... I have tons of torque steer with simply a good tune and doesn't hurt to go wider... Plus, at stock ride height I obviously won't rub but also probably won't rub much at all with Eibach springs which I plan to get, which have the least aggressive drop at only 0.8"... I have narrowed it down to these as examples that have received plenty of praise for the money, but I'm open to others:

- Antares Ingens A1 - Amazing reviews only like $52, quite sticky 300AA treadwear/traction. I have researched the crap out of these and not finding many bad reviews at all, mostly people very surprised how good they are, would LOVE to hear from someone who's had these on a FiST.

-Nankang NS-20 - Can get very cheap for like $53 at local Discount Tire - 360AA, stickier than it's NS-25 brother. Since I can get directly from local Discount Tire, no worrying about shipping and finding shop that will install any of the others.

-Ohtsu/Falken FP7000 - Good reviews, actual reputable Japanese brand, for only $62 but also more longer life type at 440AA, so not as sticky.

- Federal SS595 - Yes, the budget stretchers at $80 plus no free shipping, but still a great price I found on them, VERY sticky 240AA, not considered an All Season but has great ratings for wet traction too... I'm already assuming just about everyone will say go no cheaper than these, so if I can't get decent enough feedback on the others I will shoot for these but concerned that they won't even last 20k miles.. thoughts?

Again, do not care about opinions like "All Chinese tires suck", I'm skipping over a bunch of those weird off-brands and sticking to some of the most popular known commodities, but any other recommendation for under $80 each is welcome, I can't believe how many good reviews I'm seeing on the Antares A1, looks like a good decently sticky tire for the money with a 40k warranty?
What tire did you end up with? The Nankang NS-20 has popped up on my radar and I'm curious if you ever ran them..

What tire did you end up with? The Nankang NS-20 has popped up on my radar and I'm curious if you ever ran them..
I won't speak for Dan but based on his recommendation I went with the cosmo muchomacho in the fall. Now that it's warming up they're handling slightly better than the oem summers I was on. To note I also went up to a 215/40/17. They were compliant in the winter as well. Only thing I noticed over the oem summers was less cold wet traction.

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #45
I won't speak for Dan but based on his recommendation I went with the cosmo muchomacho in the fall. Now that it's warming up they're handling slightly better than the oem summers I was on. To note I also went up to a 215/40/17. They were compliant in the winter as well. Only thing I noticed over the oem summers was less cold wet traction.

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk
Exactly, *cornering* in the cold wet is only very average but has been great in all other cases, nice and sticky, great dry cornering and great hydroplane resistance as well all with a softer ride than the hard Pilot AS3's that come stock on AS tire ordered cars... I can totally live with that, I should be taking it a bit easier in the cold rain anyway, hehe...

So yeah, thanks for reviving this thread, so I did go with one of the weird off-brands, but ended up being completely happy with them!

Link to those tires for those curious... they are soft for AS with a 300tw so will likely only last 20k miles, but at $55 a pop, I don't mind at all!

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Exactly, *cornering* in the cold wet is only very average but has been great in all other cases, nice and sticky, great dry cornering and great hydroplane resistance as well all with a softer ride than the hard Pilot AS3's that come stock on AS tire ordered cars... I can totally live with that, I should be taking it a bit easier in the cold rain anyway, hehe...

So yeah, thanks for reviving this thread, so I did go with one of the weird off-brands, but ended up being completely happy with them!

Link to those tires for those curious... they are soft for AS with a 300tw so will likely only last 20k miles, but at $55 a pop, I don't mind at all!
Bummer, was really hoping you went with the Nankang NS-20. But glad to hear you are liking the Cosmo MuchoMacho (I lol'd when I read the name of the tires).

Just picked up a set of Dekagrams and am looking to go with a cheapish tire. Was hoping the muchomacho came in a 205/50 or 215/45 but it doesn't. the NS-20's do come in a 205/50 so might just pull the trigger on a some. ill check back in if i go that route.

PunkST

2000 Post Club
So i should jump on the mucho machos when i kill off these 615k+ tires?

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Just picked up a set of Dekagrams and am looking to go with a cheapish tire. Was hoping the muchomacho came in a 205/50 or 215/45 but it doesn't. the NS-20's do come in a 205/50 so might just pull the trigger on a some. ill check back in if i go that route.
There is exactly ONE 'name brand' HP all season tire available to us here in the states in that 215/45-16 size, the Vredestein Quatrac 5, and as far as I can tell, ONLY Vulcan Tire carries it here, and it ain't cheap at ~110.00 each BEFORE shipping. [:(]

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #50
Oh, for 16" Deks? Maybe I'm remembering wrong but when I was considering going the 16" wheel route I noticed there wasn't much selection of tires in the "good" sizes, pretty sure it's 225/40/16 that we ALL wish had a ton of cheap selection in... But then I remembered I'm older and have a wife not too happy with the ride quality so I wimped out and got Eibachs and the cheap and softer tires! LOL At least it was worth it as she is much happier now, doesn't complain about ride at all as that progressive rate really absorbs the worst stff well while still being pretty sporty to the point that adding the sway bar kit makes it a pretty good balance of straight ahead ride quality and cornering ability.... So yeah, I had my cheap option out I'm happy with, but I can see those that really prefer linear springs to want more sidewall in a 16" for some ride tolerance, so I can respect that way too!

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #51
There is exactly ONE 'name brand' HP all season tire available to us here in the states in that 215/45-16 size, the Vredestein Quatrac 5, and as far as I can tell, ONLY Vulcan Tire carries it here, and it ain't cheap at ~110.00 each BEFORE shipping. [:(]
So that's why it's a good idea to keep an eye out on off-brands and try one if you can get enough decent feedback... I know, I know, don't cheap out on tires but when they expanded form not very good ones, maybe fair at best from China to brand new plants in Thailand with modern designs and materials that they have to keep busy by moving very decent but off-brand tires at rock bottom prices, there are some examples in the more recent few years of not always getting what you pay for... I'm old so I remember Lucky Goldstar and Hankook tires being cheap junk from Korea, and China is now making good stuff as long as you spec them out and pay them fairly for the labor (Garrett turbo's, Apple, etc) while still saving money, so there are some hidden gems out there!

pixelzombie

I've had the Nitto Neo Gen set for about 2 weeks now and I've been very happy with them. Smooth ride that handles well in dry and wet conditions. I can't really compare them to any other tire as my used FiST had Blizzaks when I got it.

Last edited:

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I've had the Nitto Neo Gen set for about 2 weeks now and I've been very happy with them. Smooth ride that handles well in dry and wet conditions. I can't really compare them to any other tire as used FiST had Blizzaks when I got it.
Yes, I've had them on my Dekagrams for more than a month now, and it is hard to tell that they are an all season tire, given their grip/turn-in, etc.
The funny thing is, there was a kid at the tuner installation place I had them mounted/road force balanced at, and as I was loading them into the hatch, he came over and asked me, "are those are going to be your track wheel setup?". LOL

I just wish (as is the case with so many other models/manufacturers) that Nitto made more sizes, in THIS tire, as well as their other models, which we could use on these cars
A 215/45-16, and a 225/45-16 would have been PERFECT, and not cause any hassles with installers refusing to put them on an 8" wide wheel, like most do with a 205 section tire. [wink]

Just stumbled on the Federal Evoluzion St-1 in 215/45-16 for about $82 per and so far all the reviews seem really good but its a newer tire from them so not much info out. Im in the PNW and deal with wet and thats the only thing holding me back from giving them a go. Im not in dire need of tires at the moment so have some time to think about it.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Just stumbled on the Federal Evoluzion St-1 in 215/45-16 for about $82 per and so far all the reviews seem really good but its a newer tire from them so not much info out. I'm in the PNW and deal with wet and that's the only thing holding me back from giving them a go. I'm not in dire need of tires at the moment so have some time to think about it.
They are NOT an all season tire, but they do seem to be a wet/rain oriented summer tire, given the tread pattern (maybe even more than the Neo Gens I have on my Dekagrams, which are rated as an M&S all season).
If you were only using them at temps above ~45*F (wet or dry), or in the spring, summer, or early fall, I don't see a problem.

Winter/snow/Snoqualmie Pass, nope, they are a definite NO GO! [wink]

Last edited:

Brianmc27

They are NOT an all season tire, but they do seem to be a wet/rain oriented summer tire, given the tread pattern (maybe even more than the Neo Gens I have on my Dekagrams, which are rated as an M&S all season).
If you were only using them at temps above ~45*F (wet or dry), or in the spring, summer, or early fall, I don't see a problem.

Winter/snow/Snoqualmie Pass, nope, they are a definite NO GO! [wink]
I think this is a spot-on description. I ran them all winter and had no issues even down into the 30s. Then again, I didn’t drive like a moron when it got cold. Luckily it usually warms up to the 40s even on the coldest days here.

You can definitely run summer tires just above freezing conditions. They're not hideous, I wouldn't buy them for that purpose, but if you have a few cold days a year (or a few cold days before the winters go on) they'll work fine. I understand there is a plastic transition point and Tire manufacturers/retailers like to say that's around 45F/7C for summer tires. I think it's a bit lower.

I saw some earlier discussion of the Federal 595. I ran them 9-11 years ago when they were SS595. Really oddly, they're now marked as all season tires and customer reviews have given them decent marks in the snow. That's just nuts. :) I disagree. Look at the tread pattern, how is that going to work in snow and ice?! They were decent summer tires back when I had them, particularly for the money. I'm not sure if they're the right decision all these years later, but they look to be very cheap, so maybe. One thing I noticed is they seemed to lose some grip towards the end of their time with me.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^I am wondering IF Federal has changed the compound at all for the more recent ones, to be better in the cold, vs. the 'older' ones?? [dunno]

But yeah, I agree that tread pattern is NOT going to help you in ANY snow, or on ANY ice at all, regardless of the actual compound of the rubber.

The Neo Gens are also marked as an all season, 'M&S' tire, but that is ONLY because they qualify due to their 'land/sea' tread voids, and maybe a thermo-elastic type tread compound (despite their 280 tread wear rating?), and NOT because they would ever be even decent in any actual snow. [wink]

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #59
^^^I am wondering IF Federal has changed the compound at all for the more recent ones, to be better in the cold, vs. the 'older' ones?? [dunno]

But yeah, I agree that tread pattern is NOT going to help you in ANY snow, or on ANY ice at all, regardless of the actual compound of the rubber.

The Neo Gens are also marked as an all season, 'M&S' tire, but that is ONLY because they qualify due to their 'land/sea' tread voids, and maybe a thermo-elastic type tread compound (despite their 280 tread wear rating?), and NOT because they would ever be even decent in any actual snow. [wink]
And for guy mentioned above in the NW, that's
how my Mucho Macho are as well, close in tw at 300tw, M&S rated and the pattern has the right grooves... so they are kind of like a cross between summer and true all season: just avoid actual snow, they are likely totally fine for rain and dry at all temps, which is most common in the NW as long as you avoid the mountains in the winter.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

I’m surprised their isn’t more love for the General G-Max A/S. They are excellent and relatively cheap. I’m running them in a 205/50/16 variant.