Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Problem with eibach springs on stock struts..anyone else?

I have an odd noise coming from my front end when I turn left at slow speeds. My local
Ford dealer thought it was the strut top bushings, but then saw my aftermarket springs and told me they couldn't "find the noise" and that lowering it caused the problem. Anyone else run into a similar problem?

i get a creaking sound on mine at times. im still not sure if its my suspension but it does it slow speeds like driving really slow thru a parking lot or backing out of my driveway. i will turn the steering wheel a bit and can hear it. mine sounds almost like its the steering column or maybe my cobb intake moving around. but i have wondered if its the springs making the noise

frankiefiesta

1000 Post Club
This is just coming from my personal experience.

When you lower the car but do not upgrade the struts you only have a certain amount of time, if any, before you start hearing noises.

frankiefiesta

1000 Post Club
i get a creaking sound on mine at times. im still not sure if its my suspension but it does it slow speeds like driving really slow thru a parking lot or backing out of my driveway. i will turn the steering wheel a bit and can hear it. mine sounds almost like its the steering column or maybe my cobb intake moving around. but i have wondered if its the springs making the noise
My brothers civic si on eBay springs does this as well. I think it has to do with over torquing the nut on the strut. I would make sure they are torqued to spec

I would also check to see if the spring is seated properly. I had this issue on my old car in the rear and found the spring not sitting right

If all else fails and after doing the above you still have creaking then you could try spring silencers.

Is it more of a popping noise? Does it occur going over any bumps or just when turning the wheel?

I had a very similar noise I chased for months with mine. It was only at low speed, on the right side, usually turning left to lock like when doing a U turn or pulling into a parking space. When you hear a popping from the top of the strut its pretty easy to assume the mount but mine checked out, I replaced it anyway but no luck. With our strut set up, the mount is flat and the spring can rest anywhere on the insulator so there really isn't a way for it to not be seated properly. I took the right side apart several times, it would go away and they slowly come back. I stumbled on a TSB for several other ford models for low speed suspension noises, especially parking maneuvers. It recommended greasing the jounce bumper (bump stop) and I tried it. I haven't heard the noise since.

You can do it without disassembling the strut. Jack that corner up, reach up through the spring into the dust boot, pull the bump stop down towards the bottom of the piston. Apply some silicone brake grease to the very top of the strut rod where the bump stop sits (I put a little extra on the top of the bump stop itself) and slide the bump stop back up into place.

I had a squealing noise coming from my passenger side when I turned left at low speeds. It started after I installed my mountune springs. The dealer checked the whole suspension multiple times without luck.

It turned out to be warped brake pads, which they replaced under warranty. Never gave me an issue about the springs.

When you install any brand of aftermarket springs you must trim at least the first (bottom) section off the OEM bump stop to allow adequate suspension movement before settling on the bump stop. When it hits the bump stop the spring rate increases instantly to a very large value and if a large enough bump on a very lower car the rate goes to infinity and the car handles like shit. Just sayin'...

ErickM

Is it more of a popping noise? Does it occur going over any bumps or just when turning the wheel?

I had a very similar noise I chased for months with mine. It was only at low speed, on the right side, usually turning left to lock like when doing a U turn or pulling into a parking space. When you hear a popping from the top of the strut its pretty easy to assume the mount but mine checked out, I replaced it anyway but no luck. With our strut set up, the mount is flat and the spring can rest anywhere on the insulator so there really isn't a way for it to not be seated properly. I took the right side apart several times, it would go away and they slowly come back. I stumbled on a TSB for several other ford models for low speed suspension noises, especially parking maneuvers. It recommended greasing the jounce bumper (bump stop) and I tried it. I haven't heard the noise since.

You can do it without disassembling the strut. Jack that corner up, reach up through the spring into the dust boot, pull the bump stop down towards the bottom of the piston. Apply some silicone brake grease to the very top of the strut rod where the bump stop sits (I put a little extra on the top of the bump stop itself) and slide the bump stop back up into place.
This post describes what I'm experiencing as well. Eibach springs, stock struts, 4600 miles. I'm going to try what you described and post my results when I get time. Thanks for the info!

OP
A
Thread Starter #9
I have a video I can upload that shows the noise, I've had it looked at by two mechanics and the last one just said the "car makes noise" which is obviously not the answer I wanted.[video=youtube;xxp520wM0LM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxp520wM0LM[/video]

That sounds very similar to mine, perhaps a bit worse though. I would start with the greasing the bump stops like I described, should only take a few minutes, and go from there.

neeqness

1000 Post Club
This post describes what I'm experiencing as well. Eibach springs, stock struts, 4600 miles. I'm going to try what you described and post my results when I get time. Thanks for the info!
How did it go?

Sent using Tapatalk