Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Apple CarPlay Release News?

dano2664

In surfing around the Ford Owner website to familiarize myself with my new 2016 Fiesta ST, I followed the "Phones compatible with SYNC" quick link. After confirming my vehicle (2016...Fiesta...SYNC 3), then filtering by carrier (Verizon) and Desired Feature (Apple CarPlay), the site shows that my current phone should work with CarPlay. Is the Ford Owner site ahead of reality, or is this update available now?

Note sure if everyone will be able to follow this link to see what I can see:
https://owner.ford.com/how-tos/sync-technology/all/phone/phones-compatible-with-sync.html#?year=2016&model=Fiesta&syncGen=sync3&country=us

Bluedrank

In surfing around the Ford Owner website to familiarize myself with my new 2016 Fiesta ST, I followed the "Phones compatible with SYNC" quick link. After confirming my vehicle (2016...Fiesta...SYNC 3), then filtering by carrier (Verizon) and Desired Feature (Apple CarPlay), the site shows that my current phone should work with CarPlay. Is the Ford Owner site ahead of reality, or is this update available now?

Note sure if everyone will be able to follow this link to see what I can see:
https://owner.ford.com/how-tos/sync-technology/all/phone/phones-compatible-with-sync.html#?year=2016&model=Fiesta&syncGen=sync3&country=us
The Ford website is indeed ahead of reality. They are just getting that website ready with all of the information for the 2017 models, and eventually when/if they update it for 2016 models.

This was in the NYT about 10 days ago (http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/09/automobiles/your-cars-new-software-is-ready-update-now.html)... Looks like CarPlay update might not require a visit to the dealer, with the update coming via WiFi.

"Ford, which previously provided software updates to its Sync infotainment system using a USB memory stick, will soon send software uploads to deliver Apple CarPlay and Android Auto functionality to its 2016 models equipped with its Sync 3 infotainment system. CarPlay and Auto replicate certain iPhone and Android smartphone features on the vehicle?s display.

Ford delivers the updated software via Wi-Fi, installing it when the vehicle is restarted. The company will eventually switch to making updates via satellite."

jayrod1980

This taking much too long. Hard to trust anything future wise from dealers either. Still don't understand why there would be a hardware upgrade needed. I try to have the dealer touch my car as little as possible. I love fords but they seem to have universally crappy dealer service departments. Scratches, dings, repeat errors etc

Getting frustrated, so late into the year, with no availability of (or even information on) the Carplay upgrade for 2016's. Called Ford just now, and the SYNC3 "analyst" was clueless on the upgrade. Been driving this FiST and loving it for two months now, but this lack of info from Ford is just amateur hour business practice.

I agree. It would be nice to hear something about CarPlay from a Ford rep on this forum.

When I received my ST just over 7 months ago the CarPlay release was already described as "imminent".

Getting frustrated, so late into the year, with no availability of (or even information on) the Carplay upgrade for 2016's. Called Ford just now, and the SYNC3 "analyst" was clueless on the upgrade. Been driving this FiST and loving it for two months now, but this lack of info from Ford is just amateur hour business practice.

over on a jeep forum I'm involved in, we get access to beta software before its released to the public, I wonder why ford doesn't do the same thing for us tinkerers.

Just purchased a late model 16 FiST and in the booklets theres a pamphlet about Carplay and Android Auto (along with Sync 3 inserts)

Mind you my car doesn't have it installed but the ST kit I have was packaged in late august so I feel like before 2017 Carplay and AA will be available upgrades, probably as soon as dealers start getting 2017 models.

Not to make excuses for Ford (seriously Ford, get on with this), but the other car companies that promised CarPlay via updates this year aren't doing much better. I leased a Mazda 3 earlier this year and an acquaintance who works for Mazda NA told me that CarPlay was coming around summer time and has yet to happen. I've poked around in the code for the infotainment system (it's mostly open source, really nice) and there's mention of CarPlay in some unused sections so I know they are working on it.

Anyway, I hope they get on with this soon, Sync3 apps blow (I think the only one that does anything is the Domino's Pizza app) and I'm ready to have this an alternative.

Speaking of sync3 apps, how does one activate them? I have an iPhone 6s and it syncs with the car just fine over bt and usb but the only app i have is sirius travel link (which is very useful)

I've poked through the settings but can't seem to figure it out.

but also yeah I'm not worried if it takes a while I know it'll happen. But I still think Sync3 works just fine for like 90% of things so I'm not too worried about it.

There are only a few apps that are "Sync enabled" Off the top of my head:
Pandora
NPR One
Ford Pass (which is utterly useless)
Dominos
iHeart Auto
Sirius XM
Spotify
Amazon Cloud Player

From what I've gathered the App developers have to add a frame work to allow the app to talk to the Sync system but since CarPlay is largely the same idea (are probably a much much easier process for the devs), future Sync app development is probably dead.

It's also a situation where once more cars have CarPlay, app devs will start taking it seriously and more apps will be CP enabled. Right now it's mostly audio streaming services but how cool would it be to get Waze maps on your Sync screen or DashCmd gauges?

totally agreed!

I actually just figured out how to get the apps to show up, you have to launch the app while plugged into the car. I just happened to load At Bat and then it was suddenly on screen

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
It's also a situation where once more cars have CarPlay, app devs will start taking it seriously and more apps will be CP enabled. Right now it's mostly audio streaming services but how cool would it be to get Waze maps on your Sync screen or DashCmd gauges?
The last one you mentioned above (Dash Command) would be about the ONLY thing that would be of interest to me (don't care about all of the other compressed to crap audio shit), since then I would not have to mount up my iPod for the DC, or buy a Scan Gauge to get gauges, since I do NOT want to leave a $500.00+ AP in the car permanently like most do (WAY TOO 'tempting' in some of the areas I have to frequent [mad]).

gabe

The last one you mentioned above (Dash Command) would be about the ONLY thing that would be of interest to me (don't care about all of the other compressed to crap audio shit), since then I would not have to mount up my iPod for the DC, or buy a Scan Gauge to get gauges, since I do NOT want to leave a $500.00+ AP in the car permanently like most do (WAY TOO 'tempting' in some of the areas I have to frequent [mad]).
Yea I can't do that either. I live in Philly. Lol. City of "brotherly love"

Have any of you gotten Glympse to run properly through the dash? Both the phone and dash seem to go into retard mode when Glympse turns on... phone takes away all buttons and the dash lets you "share" a glympse, but doesn't let you choose facebook or to whom; and has no options to let you choose how long to share it for and whatnot...

I refuse to use Pandora for political reasons, so that leaves me with FordPass and uhh, iheartradio. Gonna have to check out amazon cloud player... would be cool if Audible was a choice...