Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Stumbles when I fill up.

OP
D
Thread Starter #21
Was lucky today. Went in and explained everything to the service manager again. Their just happened to be a tech or 2 talking by I cannot remember. As I was explaining they said just casually said I needed a new evap solenoid! I was like why yes I do! So now they are going to take care of it for me. Thanks random Ford tech!

brbauer2

Was lucky today. Went in and explained everything to the service manager again. Their just happened to be a tech or 2 talking by I cannot remember. As I was explaining they said just casually said I needed a new evap solenoid! I was like why yes I do! So now they are going to take care of it for me. Thanks random Ford tech!
It's stupid crap like that that gives dealers a bad name. All that service manager had to do was get your car in for his tech to look at and it would be a done deal.

But no, he tried to sell you something and let you live with the issue until you happened to get lucky.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
This is a classic example of....Those who can do and Those who can't manage! That tech reminds me of myself....I always say there are no speed bumps along the extra mile! Even though other keyboard commandos on here claim me as a Troll...which I embrace fully! [raceflag]

Mikey456

I just don’t understand why a recall is not issued for this problem that seems to affect alot of Fist owners. If the car stalls in the middle of a intersection causing an accident, Ford could be liable. I’m sure they are aware of this problem internally.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I just don’t understand why a recall is not issued for this problem that seems to affect alot of Fist owners. If the car stalls in the middle of a intersection causing an accident, Ford could be liable. I’m sure they are aware of this problem internally.
It's not a safety issue....as silly as it sounds. The vehicle will not shut down while driving down the road due to a purge solenoid. It's just not a Takata air bag situation...[emoji106]

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

CarGuy

1000 Post Club
It's not a safety issue....as silly as it sounds. The vehicle will not shut down while driving down the road due to a purge solenoid. It's just not a Takata air bag situation...[emoji106]

Stalling in the middle of an intersection is NOT a safety issue? Seriously? I will disagree with that!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Stalling in the middle of an intersection is NOT a safety issue? Seriously? I will disagree with that!

It causes a rough idle or hesitation at idle. If the solenoid purge valve isnt working it will vent to atmosphere but not cause the car to stall while driving down the road. It may cause a decrease in fuel economy also but not stalling while driving. You as a driver must be in control of your vehicle and its maintenance at all times....not anyone else.

CarGuy

1000 Post Club
It causes a rough idle or hesitation at idle. If the solenoid purge valve isnt working it will vent to atmosphere but not cause the car to stall while driving down the road. It may cause a decrease in fuel economy also but not stalling while driving. You as a driver must be in control of your vehicle and its maintenance at all times....not anyone else.

I thought he said the car has stalled in the intersection. Must have read that wrong.

I would have to disagree with you also, i have stalled pulling out of the gas station on several occasions and many times at the next light.
staring at oncoming traffic as you struggle to restart the car is a safety issue.

Mikey456

I would have to disagree with you also, i have stalled pulling out of the gas station on several occasions and many times at the next light.
staring at oncoming traffic as you struggle to restart the car is a safety issue.
^^ Thats what I meant. Stalling while waiting for the light to turn green (possibly getting rear-ended) or stalling in the middle of intersection while trying to complete a turn.

alexrex20

1000 Post Club

If it does stall, it only happens when you are stopped. Are you telling me it is unsafe for a car to sit at a traffic light a few seconds longer? Is it unsafe if a car stops at a stop sign for 5 seconds instead of 2 seconds? If a car is stopped at a green light and you ran into them, it is 100% your fault. Not theirs.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

alexrex20

1000 Post Club

Mine has the rough idle just about every time I fill it up. It has also stalled on me a few times while idling at a stop. So yes, it definitely can cause the engine to die.

If it does stall, it only happens when you are stopped. Are you telling me it is unsafe for a car to sit at a traffic light a few seconds longer? Is it unsafe if a car stops at a stop sign for 5 seconds instead of 2 seconds? If a car is stopped at a green light and you ran into them, it is 100% your fault. Not theirs.

I am saying that I can start to accelerate, car moves forward and then stalls putting me in harms way.

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
I am saying that I can start to accelerate, car moves forward and then stalls putting me in harms way.
How does that put you In harm's way? That is no different than a scenario where you would accelerate and then not accelerate. You know, a scenario that happens a few thousand times every time you drive the car.

This is why I love the internet. You want to argue for arguments sake.
The car stalling as you pull out from the gas station in front of traffic moving at 50+ mph is not something I do thousands of times a day.
Yes that does put me in harms way. Next time you are in South Florida drop on by and we will go get gas.
I will even let you drive away and experience first hand what I am talking about.

CarGuy

1000 Post Club
This is why I love the internet. You want to argue for arguments sake.
The car stalling as you pull out from the gas station in front of traffic moving at 50+ mph is not something I do thousands of times a day.
Yes that does put me in harms way. Next time you are in South Florida drop on by and we will go get gas.
I will even let you drive away and experience first hand what I am talking about.
I agree with you but what do I know? Maybe you're not explaining it right. Lol

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
It only happens when the engine is at idle. If you pull out of a parking lot in front of 50 mph traffic and have zero throttle input, then it's your own fault. LOL

Couple of my observations at my last couple fill ups. Fill ups are a 7-10 days apart and I always let it fill up till is stops on its own, do not add any more gas. Also always move the nozzle in and out of the filler neck 2-3 times.

Fill up A: I started the car and let it idle on its own.....rpms dropped to 500 and jumped back up. Sat there for a few minutes and it dipped again but not as low as the first time.

Fill up B: I started the car and held the rpms to 1200 or so.....rpms dropped. Let it idle on its own and it dropped again.

Fill up C(last night): I decided once the tank filled up that I would let the nozzle go in and out of the filler neck a couple times and held the nozzle partly in the filler neck. Turned on the car and let it idle on its own. Rpms dropped but not as bad at the prev 2 times.

During normal driving, in between fill ups, the rpms will drop when sitting at a red light but doesn't happen all the time and doesn't seem to happen at all after going below half a tank.

Its becoming an annoyance so I might try to video it or go to the dealer when I am close to needing gas and drive the tech half a block away to the gas station I regularly use.

OP
D
Thread Starter #40
Uh yeah I'm gonna side with should be a recall and may end up being one. Leaving a gas station and hitting the gas only to have the car stumble in to the flow of traffic is scary. Seriously.