Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

15" wheels vs 16" vs 17" Wheel for hpde/autocross/daily, which and why?

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
205-45-16 RE71R on my Sparcos working great for me. Definite upgrade over stock, it's absurd.
I was planning on running 205/50 on my 16s but I've been hearing more people run 205/45 lately. Any reason you've choose that size?

I was planning on running 205/50 on my 16s but I've been hearing more people run 205/45 lately. Any reason you've choose that size?
IIRC they don't offer a 205-50-16 in the RE71R compound. Either way, 205-45-16 is closest to stock overall size so no issues with the speedometer. Also, the sidewall size seems to be the sweet spot for autocross as far as navigating slaloms, etc.

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
IIRC they don't offer a 205-50-16 in the RE71R compound. Either way, 205-45-16 is closest to stock overall size so no issues with the speedometer. Also, the sidewall size seems to be the sweet spot for autocross as far as navigating slaloms, etc.
That's some good info. I won't be autocrossing but if they work there I'm sure they're do fine on the streets. I'll be getting sport comp 2s which luckily come in both sizes. Love those tires.

I hope this isn't hijacking as it's wheel and tire related. I don't plan to autox, but am considering going down in wheel size to get a lighter setup while gaining the benefit of getting more sidewall as the potholes are terrible around here. Any suggested setups for comfort that don't ruin the dynamics of the car? I paid for the Ford 5 year warranty of the stock wheels and tires which was stupid as now I want a different setup. If I can't get out of that, I may just be stuck with the current setup and playing the dodge the pothole game.

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
I hope this isn't hijacking as it's wheel and tire related. I don't plan to autox, but am considering going down in wheel size to get a lighter setup while gaining the benefit of getting more sidewall as the potholes are terrible around here. Any suggested setups for comfort that don't ruin the dynamics of the car? I paid for the Ford 5 year warranty of the stock wheels and tires which was stupid as now I want a different setup. If I can't get out of that, I may just be stuck with the current setup and playing the dodge the pothole game.
Well I've had 15s on for about a year now. They're 15x6.5. The tire was 195/55, and I could definitely feel the differences in the road especially driving in the city. But I want a wider setup so I have 16x7 slipstreams coming in this week and plan to either go 205/45, 205/50, or 225/45. Still deciding, but I really want a more stable, wide setup. And hopefully the bigger size feels the wheel gap a little more, because I'm staying on stock suspension.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Some car warranties can be cancelled and have a pro rated refund available, look into it, hopefully you can do that:)
Usually warranties are included in the loan so the refund goes to the finance company reducing the loan amount but not payment amount.

15's with the right tire will give the best ride and rim protection.

16's are a great option but limited to 7" wide wheels, there are some great wheels in 15x8 if you want wider tires highly recommended.

17's have limited tire selection as well as just get to tall in most sizes and the heavy stock wheels with short sidewalls will always ride rough, far more easily damaged, better to have a more reliable and comfortable setup that can make the car more enjoyable, handle better, less noise, less wear and tear on the chassis so 16's and better yet 15's make a great deal of sense for this car.

Pick tires based on actual measurements, not basic listed numbers as I have posted many times there are major differences in the actual versus real specs.

Not likely any 225 will be optimal on a 7" wide rim as not enough sidewall support can lead to less precise handling and more tendency for the car to roll over in aggressive or defensive driving situations. Wider is not always better, a well sorted out set of wheels and tires is the most critical mod we can do to our cars so take your time and research all options.

As always I will gladly help pick out what are the best options for your needs but need more info to do it well.

1)budget
2)intended use as in summer only, all season, winter tires, etc.
3)how soon you want to do this

Rick

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
Some car warranties can be cancelled and have a pro rated refund available, look into it, hopefully you can do that:)
Usually warranties are included in the loan so the refund goes to the finance company reducing the loan amount but not payment amount.

15's with the right tire will give the best ride and rim protection.

16's are a great option but limited to 7" wide wheels, there are some great wheels in 15x8 if you want wider tires highly recommended.

17's have limited tire selection as well as just get to tall in most sizes and the heavy stock wheels with short sidewalls will always ride rough, far more easily damaged, better to have a more reliable and comfortable setup that can make the car more enjoyable, handle better, less noise, less wear and tear on the chassis so 16's and better yet 15's make a great deal of sense for this car.

Pick tires based on actual measurements, not basic listed numbers as I have posted many times there are major differences in the actual versus real specs.

Not likely any 225 will be optimal on a 7" wide rim as not enough sidewall support can lead to less precise handling and more tendency for the car to roll over in aggressive or defensive driving situations. Wider is not always better, a well sorted out set of wheels and tires is the most critical mod we can do to our cars so take your time and research all options.

As always I will gladly help pick out what are the best options for your needs but need more info to do it well.

1)budget
2)intended use as in summer only, all season, winter tires, etc.
3)how soon you want to do this

Rick
So you'd recommend 205/50 or 205/45 for 16x7 wheels?

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Absolutely, some 215's might work but again it always depends on the real specs, not sidewall numbers as often they are very far off.

I have found 215's narrower than some 205's and found some 195's much wider than some 205s and at least one 205 wider than another brand/model 225!

Also tire weight which is very easily felt is quite important, one more part of the equation I always look at as lower weight tires will tend to ride and handle better, accelerate and stop better as well but we have to still consider all other aspects.

I look at these specs, design, etc, not in order of precedence.
Wear rating
Tread design
Summer only, all season, etc.......
Weight
Diameter
Sectional width
Tread width
Test results
Cost

And way down the list of most important priority, style.

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
I definitely would like to get the BFG Sport Comp 2s so I'm looking into tire sizes within that tire. I haven't actually seen anybody run 215s on 16s.

I am in the same boat. I want to move down to a 16" (maybe a 15") wheel. Either Slipstreams or Sparco Assetto Gara. Seen quite a few folks running 225/45 on a 16x7. Looks great to me. Very limited tire selection though.
Direzza ZII Star Specs are on my list in a 225/45/16. Like this!

.5" wider than stock .5" taller than stock.

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
I am in the same boat. I want to move down to a 16" (maybe a 15") wheel. Either Slipstreams or Sparco Assetto Gara. Seen quite a few folks running 225/45 on a 16x7. Looks great to me. Very limited tire selection though.
Direzza ZII Star Specs are on my list in a 225/45/16. Like this!

.5" wider than stock .5" taller than stock.
Yeah it does look good but I don't want to give up handling for looks. I do agree the look of the 225/45 is awesome. Love the meaty tire look!

After a lot of discussion with RAAMaudio I am going with TD pro race 1.2 15X8 wrapped in 195/55/15 Bf Comp sport 2's. Hoping this will help me keep traction. Cant wait to see these meaty bad boys on the car!

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
The Sport Comp 2 is a very wide tire in most sizes we could use at least.

The 205/45/15 has an 8" tread width, damn wide for a 205 marked tire, it would work best on an 8" wide or wider wheel for most uses.

The 195/55/15 is stock tire height but has a 7.7" wide tread and will work great on a *" wide wheel.

An example of tires marked in sizes way off from what we would think they really are, both the above and the 225/45/15 Rival S which you would think has a 20mm wider tread than a 205, 30mm wider than a 195, is actually just 7.8" at the tread, barely wider than the 195 Comp 2!

I am looking at the Comp 2 AS in 205/45/16 and the tread width is only 6.7" which is pretty narrow on an 8" wheel. (unfortunately I cannot fit any 15x7 or 8 wheels over my BBKs, just the 15x9 and only two wheels I know of and they are to wide for the AS tires I would prefer, in fact not really interested in any 15" AS tire made right now:(

These are extreme examples of why we have to look at real specs, not general sizes the manfs use.

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
The Sport Comp 2 is a very wide tire in most sizes we could use at least.

The 205/45/15 has an 8" tread width, damn wide for a 205 marked tire, it would work best on an 8" wide or wider wheel for most uses.

The 195/55/15 is stock tire height but has a 7.7" wide tread and will work great on a *" wide wheel.

An example of tires marked in sizes way off from what we would think they really are, both the above and the 225/45/15 Rival S which you would think has a 20mm wider tread than a 205, 30mm wider than a 195, is actually just 7.8" at the tread, barely wider than the 195 Comp 2!

I am looking at the Comp 2 AS in 205/45/16 and the tread width is only 6.7" which is pretty narrow on an 8" wheel. (unfortunately I cannot fit any 15x7 or 8 wheels over my BBKs, just the 15x9 and only two wheels I know of and they are to wide for the AS tires I would prefer, in fact not really interested in any 15" AS tire made right now:(

These are extreme examples of why we have to look at real specs, not general sizes the manfs use.
So no real clear answer on which size? Ha. Not being an ass, just not quite understanding all this tire talk.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Please let me know if you have a particular wheel size you are going to use and what the tires are used for, summer, all season, autocross, track, etc...and I will dig in and find the best tires I can recommend:)

If you have already posted it also please forgive me as had a few early microbrews here in Quartzsite AZ...........

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
Please let me know if you have a particular wheel size you are going to use and what the tires are used for, summer, all season, autocross, track, etc...and I will dig in and find the best tires I can recommend:)

If you have already posted it also please forgive me as had a few early microbrews here in Quartzsite AZ...........
Wheels size will be 16x7. And they will be strictly summer tires. Do the vudu you do please!

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I forgot to ask on thing, do you want all out stickiest tires that generally do not last very long or something with more tread wear?

Sometimes the costlier tire is the better value as well if it lasts longer than a less costly tire, especially when you add in mounting and balancing, etc...

I will also look up the reviews again on all the tires that would fit your needs to get to the best pick I can recommend:)

Just a few for now.

Rival S is an autocross tire, heats up fast, good on the street but low wear rate and a little wide for a 7" wheel, I would put it on an 8".

Sport Compact 2 is a nice in between tire, lasts much longer good driving dynamics, 205/45/15 is a VERY wide 205, 8" tread width so unless designed with a very stiff sidewall, which would bake ride stiffer, I would not pick it for a 7" wide wheel. I can do some research on it.

Bridgestone RE71R is a superb tire, not real long wearing, 7.1 tread width in 205/45/16, nearly stock diameter and only 19lbs which is very low weight and just a couple of lbs per corner car easily be felt in all aspects of performance and ride quality (sidewall stiffness can add to or detract from the ride of course, I will look it up)

So, let me know, stickiest tires possible that fit well on your wheels or summer only that are very very good, not as sticky, last longer?

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
I would like something that will last long and performs great. I know that's hard to find but I guess I'd rather have the former than the latter.

RAAM, what are your thoughts on the BFG G-FORCE SPORT COMP-2 in 195/55-15 on a 15x7 wheel? Tread width is 7.7 (stock is 7.6) same dia as our stock tires.

RAAM, I PM'd you. Not sure if it went through. Thanks so far for the amazing information. It looks like a lot of people are interested in your input.