Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

15" wheels vs 16" vs 17" Wheel for hpde/autocross/daily, which and why?

Siestarider

I run BFG Sport Comp-2 in 205/45/16 on 16x7 OZ Ultras, one set has lasted about 12,000 miles of DD plus 9 track days, at least one track day left in them for sure.

They are great on street and competent on track. I want one more personal best on them, then on to BFG RS 215/45/16.

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
I run BFG Sport Comp-2 in 205/45/16 on 16x7 OZ Ultras, one set has lasted about 12,000 miles of DD plus 9 track days, at least one track day left in them for sure.

They are great on street and competent on track. I want one more personal best on them, then on to BFG RS 215/45/16.
So you're going to 215s? I just haven't seen a lot of people with 215s on 16 inch wheels for some reason. And what's the reason you choose 205/45 over 205/50?

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I would like to have exact information but for now I have to say it seems the Comp 2 was designed to work well on narrower wheels than I would normally want to run when looking at the section and tread width specs.

As per another thread I have had the experience of driving the Octane cars on the Comp 2 and in 17" the tread was much wider than I would consider optimal and they were tough tires that had great response and very decent grip.

---------------

If you want to see how extreme the real specs and sidewall sizes can vary take a look at the Comp2 versus Comp 2 AS, hugely narrower in the AS.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Always a compromise picking tires.
Want extreme grip?
Want long life?
Want affordable fun and use out of them?
Do you keep them properly inflated? (Temp testing the tread is the best way by far)
Do you have a real alignment instead of a vague factory spec one done by somebody that is not an enthusiast?
Do you abuse your tires regularly, on occasion, know when they are overworked?

We are all far to different to know just what one another can get out of a set of tires.

Again, I will get back to this tomorrow after my brain has had some rest:)

Siestarider

So you're going to 215s? I just haven't seen a lot of people with 215s on 16 inch wheels for some reason. And what's the reason you choose 205/45 over 205/50?
215/24/16 is the only Rival S that will fit my track wheels. Following RAAM's theories, tread width is key. My other choice is 205/45/16 Bridgestone RE 71's, but I know those are most likely better tires for track, so saving that option (or whatever tire is the star this year) for next year. No hurry, I am just now getting good enough to fully use what I already have.

I chose 45 vs 50 section for Comp-2's because less sidewall generally = more turn in response. Overall I am very happy with those tires, would stay on them but want to see if a stickier tire challenges brakes to the point I need to upgrade fronts or not. Testing CMB brake ducts at same time, see if they make a difference.

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
215/24/16 is the only Rival S that will fit my track wheels. Following RAAM's theories, tread width is key. My other choice is 205/45/16 Bridgestone RE 71's, but I know those are most likely better tires for track, so saving that option (or whatever tire is the star this year) for next year. No hurry, I am just now getting good enough to fully use what I already have.

I chose 45 vs 50 section for Comp-2's because less sidewall generally = more turn in response. Overall I am very happy with those tires, would stay on them but want to see if a stickier tire challenges brakes to the point I need to upgrade fronts or not. Testing CMB brake ducts at same time, see if they make a difference.
That makes sense. I just don't want the wheel gap to be too big, which I know isn't the most important things before performance but wheel gap sucks. Ha.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I have my car lowered as much as the suspension geometry will work properly so that means not real low but a nice height when on the 23" summer tires. My current but being sold 24.1" AS setup fills the gap more than it might seem and looks great from the side.

More stuff to think about.

Stock diameter, speedo more likely to be accurate which means the odometer and fuel usage using the stock display.

If you go taller or shorter it can through those off quite a bit.

---------

Many of the wider tires also weigh more, some pretty considerable, weight reduces performance in all ways and effects ride quality as wear and tear on the vehicle.

--------

The Sport Comp 2 is a very wide tire in most sizes we could use at least.

The 205/45/15 has an 8" tread width, damn wide for a 205 marked tire, it would work best on an 8" wide or wider wheel for most uses.

The 195/55/15 is stock tire height but has a 7.7" wide tread and will work great on a *" wide wheel.

An example of tires marked in sizes way off from what we would think they really are, both the above and the 225/45/15 Rival S which you would think has a 20mm wider tread than a 205, 30mm wider than a 195, is actually just 7.8" at the tread, barely wider than the 195 Comp 2!

I am looking at the Comp 2 AS in 205/45/16 and the tread width is only 6.7" which is pretty narrow on an 8" wheel. (unfortunately I cannot fit any 15x7 or 8 wheels over my BBKs, just the 15x9 and only two wheels I know of and they are to wide for the AS tires I would prefer, in fact not really interested in any 15" AS tire made right now:(

These are extreme examples of why we have to look at real specs, not general sizes the manfs use.
Bumping this old post.

I think I have settled (finally) on 195/55 Sport Comp 2 on a 15x8 wheel. Raam, you still approve of this combo?

Did 15performanceblue ever post anything more about getting this setup?

Bumping this old post.

I think I have settled (finally) on 195/55 Sport Comp 2 on a 15x8 wheel. Raam, you still approve of this combo?

That is the combo I am going with, I have not received the wheels from PCA yet, I do not think they are even in stock yet. I was told to expect them end of March beginning of April, so as soon as they come in I am buying the tires and having them put on right away. I will update as soon as I get them on, but as far as I have read. I am praying that my boost by gear tune and these tires being wider and better than stock I will keep traction.

I am most likly going to be purchasing BC coilovers to go with them, but we will see.

Waterfan

Bumping this old post.

I have BFG SC2 205/45-16 on 16x7. The 8" tread width does not seem too wide at all. Honestly, to me, visually it is perfect (no buldge, no stretch) and looks exactly the same as the 205 050A OEMs on the 17x7 in terms of buldge/stretch (or so little difference I cannot tell)

Based on my different size but same tire model experience, I think BFG SC2 205/50-15 on 15x8 will be completely satisfying for you (except this size may be a bit heavier than 195/55-15?)

Just my semi-informed opinion. Take it or leave it as you feel is best.

I have BFG SC2 205/45-16 on 16x7. The 8" tread width does not seem too wide at all. Honestly, to me, visually it is perfect (no buldge, no stretch) and looks exactly the same as the 205 050A OEMs on the 17x7 in terms of buldge/stretch (or so little difference I cannot tell)

Based on my different size but same tire model experience, I think BFG SC2 205/50-15 on 15x8 will be completely satisfying for you (except this size may be a bit heavier than 195/55-15?)

Just my semi-informed opinion. Take it or leave it as you feel is best.

the 195 width of the comp 2's are actually 7.8 inchs wide on the tred, were as the sock 205's are 7'7 inches Raamaudio can explain a lot more. he is the reason I went with these tires in this size and the rims. Stupid smart when it comes to tires and rims.

Please let me know if you have a particular wheel size you are going to use and what the tires are used for, summer, all season, autocross, track, etc...and I will dig in and find the best tires I can recommend:)

If you have already posted it also please forgive me as had a few early microbrews here in Quartzsite AZ...........
What would you recommend for a 16x7 wheel? The car is daily driven and I don't autocross it or take it to the track. All I am going for is looks and comfortable ride. I live in south Florida so no need for crazy weather tires. Just seeing what anyone would recommend.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
If you want just one set of tires and have a serious rainy season, gets down to freezing temps, they you need an all season tire but the best high performance ones are really three season, not great in snow.

Michelin PS-3 AS, the 17's ride hard but most 17's do on this car, 16's are made in a 205 but a bit tall, tread width is pretty wide but will work on a 7" wide wheel, pretty expensive but wear well.

BFG Sport Comp 2 AS, really wide so go with 195's, I have to look to see what they make in 16s as I run all 15's now, very good all season, great price.

Nitto NeoGen, softest and possibly fastest AS tire made, lower wear rating, very wide, low cost, look great, I have to look up the sizes as well, going to post on another thread about them. I chose them for my AS tires but have not used them yet, just finishing a bunch of new mods, updates, 3rd turbo upgrade, etc...

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
From another thread, moved here as more appropriate place for it and most is likely covered already in this one:)

-----------------

15" wheels have many benefits, lower weight being a top priority.
Lower weight improves acceleration, improves cornering grip by allowing the suspension to keep the contact patch on the ground better, improves braking, improves fuel economy and reduces wear and tare on the chassis. 15x8 wheels with 225 tires can weight as much as 10lbs per corner less than the stock setup, 40 pounds of unsrpung rotational mass is a huge savings.

17" wheels on this car with small fender area reduces tire width one can run, most wider tires are to tall and the ride is dramatically more harsh than on 15's.

15" wheels and tires cost less than comparable 17's as well.

I am a big fan of 16x8 wheels on this car as well, if not for the added gain of the 15's I would run 16's as they look perfect to me.

My wheel and tires, all wheels are 4x100 and roll formed which is the same as flow formed, etc, nearly as strong as forged wheels and nearly as low in weight but far less expensive.

*(4)15x9 Konig Helix 13.4lbs, $124 each, BFG 225/45/15 Rival S for street
*(6)15x9 Konig Helix 13.4lbs, $124 each, Toyo RA1 DOT race tires, 225/45/15 on all four corners
*(4)15x8 949 Racing 6UL,11.4lbs each, $159 each 205/50/15 Neo Gen AS tires, 31lbs per corner!
*(4)15x9 Konig Dial In 12.8 lbs, $119 each (selling)
*(4)17x7 Konig Feather, 16.8lbs well made cast, $99 each (selling)

Wheels sold:
(4)Stock wheels and tires, 293 miles on them
(4)15x9 Konig Dial In, one set left.
(4)16x8 Enkei FPR1, 14.8lbs, $219 each, returned to vendor to get the 6ul when I found a way to fit them over my BBK.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Must have info to help pick proper wheels and tires.

1) Use as in autocross, road race track, canyon runs, good all around daily driver...
2) Ultimate grip or just good grip and last longer,etc....
3) All season needed or summer only, all season snow included or occasional snow, lots of rain, etc.
4) Hoped for mileage
5) Wheel width and diameter
6) Budget, sometimes the more expensive tire is a better value if it lasts longer
7) One set of all purpose wheels and tires or winter, summer, AS, track only, etc...I have 3 different setups.

Also good to search as most of this has been answered many times so look around, lots to learn by doing so but be advised some are very well meaning but do not have a lot of experience in this though all posts are worth reading of course:)

Any input on the conti CT DWS 06's verses the BFG comps looking on tire rack similar specs but the conti are 2 lbs lighter in 205/45/16

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
The prior version was much to flexible and opened up tread for my taste, far better in winter but much less stellar as a 3 season tire.