Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

'16+ Intake Thread - Help Me Clear Up The Confusion

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Luckily for new cars California they extended the test exemption to 7 years. Though if you happen to get reffed by an asshole cop. Then you are screwed. The ST200 Airbox looks bone stock from the outside besides being shorter on the underside. Tech may not notice that as its not obvious from up top. As far as intake hoses go ? I just feel its cleaner to run something like the Mountune then hassle with swapping out evap lines making it more work to switch back to original stock.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Man, I'm glad I escaped emissions testing. Right now all I'm worried about is warranty. I don't expect issues on the car, they're fairly reliable, but if something does happen I don't want to get stuck with a repair bill. Not to mention I keep telling myself to not mod the daily since I already have a project car to muck around with
WORST case scenario, if you completely blow your motor you're looking at maybe $1500 for complete low mileage used engine plus $1000 fora 3rd party shop to install... BUT, what sold me was reading up on how literally the engine itself can handle about DOUBLE the stock power level, so no little tune is going to hurt it.:) I'm just worried about catching other things before the 36k B2B runs out, I'm bringing mine in tonight to have the cooling system/AC checked and I'm simply going to uninstall my AP before going in, the rest of the mods as you see in my signature are all remaining on, I don't think it's a big deal.

Spork1569

Yeah, you'd want the black ST200 box, maybe paint it a nice flat black to match, but doesn't it use the stock lid too? And I thought the evap harness was pretty easy, but no? And I wonder if you just paint the IC black as well it would look stock enough or if smog techs actually match paint colors? LOL... I'm happy that up here in Oregon our cars are sold new with CA emissions but for smog check they just basically plug in to OBD and that's it as long as you don't come in really loud and/or stinky, I think I should be fine with just a glasspack muffler swap with rest of exhaust all stock.
I think our techs plug into the obd but also check for visual stuff as well.

I have the plastic ST200 box which looks stock, except for the fact that there's a hose leading to my headlight which is what worries me that they will catch on lol.

I might ask any other native Californians about their smog experiences if any.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
I think our techs plug into the obd but also check for visual stuff as well.

I have the plastic ST200 box which looks stock, except for the fact that there's a hose leading to my headlight which is what worries me that they will catch on lol.

I might ask any other native Californians about their smog experiences if any.
Yeah, I know they definitely do a pretty extensive visual down there, I think they mainly look for things that affect stock AFR but unfortunately that means almost anything flow related other than rear muffler, which just has to meet that 95dB noise level limit. I lived in Oxnard/stationed at Port Hueneme back in the day and back then I wasn't into modding other than loud stereo's so I wouldn't know about getting through smog check with mods, LOL.

Spork1569

Luckily for new cars California they extended the test exemption to 7 years. Though if you happen to get reffed by an asshole cop. Then you are screwed. The ST200 Airbox looks bone stock from the outside besides being shorter on the underside. Tech may not notice that as its not obvious from up top. As far as intake hoses go ? I just feel its cleaner to run something like the Mountune then hassle with swapping out evap lines making it more work to switch back to original stock.
I wonder if that applies to used cars too. I bought my FiST secondhand so hopefully I still get the full 7 years.

Spork1569

Yeah, I know they definitely do a pretty extensive visual down there, I think they mainly look for things that affect stock AFR but unfortunately that means almost anything flow related other than rear muffler, which just has to meet that 95dB noise level limit. I lived in Oxnard/stationed at Port Hueneme back in the day and back then I wasn't into modding other than loud stereo's so I wouldn't know about getting through smog check with mods, LOL.
Wow small world I'm originally from Oxnard and work at the city of Hueneme right now.

This is the first car I've had I've really felt worth modding so this is all new to me. Unluckily chose to live in the state that seems to hate mods the most lol.

OP
Sanity
Thread Starter #27
WORST case scenario, if you completely blow your motor you're looking at maybe $1500 for complete low mileage used engine plus $1000 fora 3rd party shop to install... BUT, what sold me was reading up on how literally the engine itself can handle about DOUBLE the stock power level, so no little tune is going to hurt it.:) I'm just worried about catching other things before the 36k B2B runs out, I'm bringing mine in tonight to have the cooling system/AC checked and I'm simply going to uninstall my AP before going in, the rest of the mods as you see in my signature are all remaining on, I don't think it's a big deal.
With the stuff I'm doing I'm not so concerned with killing it, I'm really aiming for a "Stage 1". These engines are tough, and I managed to bolt a turbo onto a fragile engine, only kind of tune it, then drive it 1000 miles to texas (and 1000 back) without it blowing up. I just want to make sure any factory issues that might pop up get taken care of on their dime.

I seriously want to do intake and exhaust for the good good sounds, but I can't decide on what I want to do on either.

I have wheels and tires picked out but not bought. and I want to so some pod lights, but I'm still too skittish to go removing the bumper on the new car...

Mikey456

They changed it from 6 to 7 years for test exemption? I thought the guys with the 2014 cars were going to be up next year.

My only fear is also living in Cali when it comes smog time I wouldn't doubt they'd say something about the evap harness. I plan on basically reverting back to stock come smog time, or find a crooked shop if the mods go too far lol

I went with the mountune kit for ease of going back and forth.
Only 1 way to find out and that's to try it and see if you pass. The St 200 airbox is a factory intake from Ford that just happens to go on the EU Fiesta's . That's like when I lowered my Focus on the FFRP suspension, I was told I shouldn't do it for warranty issues and after I told them Ford builds them from the factory with that on it . Referring to the St that mines not. They couldn't say anything about me not doing it since Ford did it.

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
I changed my evap harness from a double to single a couple of weeks ago when I added the Whoosh intake hose and St 200 airbox and haven't had any issues with it on my 19.
it's how it is or should be every time when swapping with the OEM Ford part
if there are any issues with this conversion it's installed or being used incorrectly somehow

does anyone know if it is possible to use the mountune adapter with CPE intake?
I have the following items I did not get around to installing yet....
CPE intake
OEM single line (to do a conversion)
Adapter from.... someone i forgot
Whoosh adapter
I want to, and would spend the money if the mountune adapter would fit onto a CPE intake, the reason being? I do not want to cut or modify any lines (which is how i ended up with multiple setups int he first place....)

OP
Sanity
Thread Starter #32
CPE intake
Whoosh adapter
I want to, and would spend the money if the mountune adapter would fit onto a CPE intake, the reason being? I do not want to cut or modify any lines (which is how i ended up with multiple setups int he first place....)
To my knowledge, the only difference is 1 port vs 2 ports so any of the fixes that get you to the correct number of connections on your intake should work fine. Personally I'd lean towards using the older factory part vs an adapter kit. YMMV

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Dpro

6000 Post Club
CPE intake
Whoosh adapter
Mountune does not sell the adapter separately. It comes with their induction hose. You can try and source it separately as its basically an expensive aircraft fitting. Someone looked it up before it was like $70 alone . Its easier just to buy the Mountune Hose plus right now its on sale for $129 which is a fricken deal compared to the normal price just put in laborday for the code.

Mountune does not sell the adapter separately. It comes with their induction hose. You can try and source it separately as its basically an expensive aircraft fitting. Someone looked it up before it was like $70 alone . Its easier just to buy the Mountune Hose plus right now its on sale for $129 which is a fricken deal compared to the normal price just put in laborday for the code.
Yeah I meant buying it with the hose, removing it and installing it onto the cpe intake. Will find out when i get it.

To my knowledge, the only difference is 1 port vs 2 ports so any of the fixes that get you to the correct number of connections on your intake should work fine. Personally I'd lean towards using the older factory part vs an adapter kit. YMMV

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
I ordered the mountune hose for science.... lol- yeah if it doesnt work I can sell it and just install the OEM kit. I read about the fill-up stumble so I dodnt want to deal with that on my car

I fitted the Mountune adapter onto the CPE intake, i haven't installed it yet, looks really good. Only issue which seems common is CPE powdercoat usually makes their fittings too thick (heard this is a problem for their charge pipes too... So i took some 400 and 800 grit sand paper and took it down to .38" instead of .385-.387" and it fits. the adapter will not fit on anything over .381 probably- definitely doesn't work with .385" diameter, doesnt even fit.
I think its worth it so i dont have to mess with factory lines... especially since i can just sell the mountune hose- and my remaining adapters. going to keep the older evap line in case I do run into problems.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I fitted the Mountune adapter onto the CPE intake, i haven't installed it yet, looks really good. Only issue which seems common is CPE powdercoat usually makes their fittings too thick (heard this is a problem for their charge pipes too... So i took some 400 and 800 grit sand paper and took it down to .38" instead of .385-.387" and it fits. the adapter will not fit on anything over .381 probably- definitely doesn't work with .385" diameter, doesnt even fit.
I think its worth it so i dont have to mess with factory lines... especially since i can just sell the mountune hose- and my remaining adapters. going to keep the older evap line in case I do run into problems.
Never said it could not be taken off and put on another hose or pipe . It can its just not cost effective. What I did elaborate on was the fact that A: Mountune does not sell the adapter separately and B; Buying the AN fittings would cost someone as much as buying a hose without and the AN separately.

Thats great you took it off and are using it on a CPE pipe. Congrats.

Never said it could not be taken off and put on another hose or pipe . It can its just not cost effective. What I did elaborate on was the fact that A: Mountune does not sell the adapter separately and B; Buying the AN fittings would cost someone as much as buying a hose without and the AN separately.

Thats great you took it off and are using it on a CPE pipe. Congrats.
I know you didnt say that I couldnt use it elsewhere, but I figure I just give an update on what I found to work.

Thanks- I cant wait to get everything else in my car (finally) my parts sat for 2 years.