Welcome to Fiesta ST Forum, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Register

See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

User Tag List

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 133

Thread: The Fiesta is dead
84 Likes

  1. #81
    Senior Member 330 Rep Points
    Ratings | Rate Transaction

    Member #
    5184
    Medals
    Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 50 Rep Points Earned First 100 Rep Points Earned First 200 Rep Points  
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    South West Ohio
    State
    OH
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    1,274
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Likes Received
    330


    2 Likes

    Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    In the states, it's common to refer to manual shift vehicles as having a security system...
    https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...9&&FORM=VRDGAR
    2016 Ford Fiesta ST Kona Blue ; Engine, Suspension will remain untouched ; Southwest Ohio ; Winter: 215/45R17 Continental ; Seasonal: 205/40R17 Bridgestone

  2. #82
    Senior Member 129 Rep Points
    0%
    Rate Transaction

    Member #
    4988
    Medals
    Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 50 Rep Points Earned First 100 Rep Points  
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    LA
    State
    CA
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    1,279
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Likes Received
    129


    I think the FiST would have done a lot better if two main factors had been different with Ford...


    1. If Ford had worked harder on it's quality control with it's compact and sub compact cars to build a reputation comparable to the Japanese makers.

    I have so many friends and fellow car enthusiasts who bought civic sports, mazda, toyota or insert other reliable japanese sporty compact cars (note not SUV or CUV) simply because they don't trust Ford quality and/or because of the issues that they heard about with Ford in this genre.

    As much as I like my FiST now, it was a near miracle I bought this car at all. Being a big Japanese car fan (primarily Nissan) and not so trusting of Ford quality myself initially, I would not have bought my FiST if I hadn't already thought every other compact hatch out there in my price range at the time was too ugly to drive...except the Mazda hatch - which I was originally pretty set on buying and did not buy it only because the car I test drove just didn't "feel right" to me. It felt like a low quality, cheap product that would fall apart at any moment...however, in hind sight I must have gotten a rare "lemon" to test drive because I have other friends who absolutely love their Mazdas. With that test drive being my first impression though, I couldn't bring myself to try anything else and gave the salesman some weak excuse that I knew they would accept and promptly walked off the lot to check out the Fiesta.

    Test driving the ST did the exact opposite though and I'm so glad it was already on sale and they were eager to sell them or I might have paid a bit more for it!

    2. If Ford had marketed it as it's own model and not just a trim of the Fiesta (like a 240SX or Honda CRX even).

    Reason being...everyone, except for a rare few (and most of those few only know because of the good reviews out there and races won) considers this to be nothing more than a typical Fiesta with maybe a couple more bells and whistles. Yet we know it is so much more than that.

    Having driven the base Fiesta as well as the ST I can attest to the fact that they feel like two different cars even though the chassis is basically the same.

    I know that we are all accustomed and used to seeing this car being what it is, but imagine if this car were marketed differently having it's own look but with the same function and if Fords reputation weren't so bad compared to the Japanese in this genre, I think this car would have been much more successful. No not an SUV killer at all, lol, afterall it would still be somewhat a niche but if it were otherwise the same car with all the same accolades and didnt have the stigma that the Fiesta has now, it would have been more successful within it's own niche for sure.

    Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

  3. #83
    Senior Member 129 Rep Points
    0%
    Rate Transaction

    Member #
    4988
    Medals
    Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 50 Rep Points Earned First 100 Rep Points  
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    LA
    State
    CA
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    1,279
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Likes Received
    129


    Quote Originally Posted by D1JL View Post
    I may be lucky and not need another car for some time.
    We have 3 now and my '14 FiST is the oldest.
    If I do need another car I may just have to back to a Mini as I had before My 2 Fiestas.
    Or I probably could get an American made car, like a Toyota or Honda.


    Dave
    How would you compare the Mini to the FiST?

    Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

  4. #84
    Senior Member 129 Rep Points
    0%
    Rate Transaction

    Member #
    4988
    Medals
    Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 50 Rep Points Earned First 100 Rep Points  
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    LA
    State
    CA
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    1,279
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Likes Received
    129


    Quote Originally Posted by Intuit View Post
    In the states, it's common to refer to manual shift vehicles as having a security system...
    https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...9&&FORM=VRDGAR
    I don't think that was in the states. The steering was on the wrong side.

    But I get your point. I sometimes feel that way too about it. Most people around here (except SOME car enthusiasts) don't know how to drive stick and most of those who do know (usually 50+) would rather not.

    Seeing how many are saying that the automatic is now potentially faster than driving stick, some car enthusiasts are transitioning to automatics for that reason alone.


    Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

  5. #85
    Senior Member 1192 Rep Points M-Sport fan's Avatar
    Ratings | Rate Transaction

    Member #
    4438
    Medals
    Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 50 Rep Points Earned First 100 Rep Points Earned First 200 Rep Points  
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Solebury
    State
    PA
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    7,170
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Likes Received
    1192


    Quote Originally Posted by neeqness View Post
    No not an SUV killer at all, lol, after all it would still be somewhat a niche but if it were otherwise the same car with all the same accolades and didn't have the stigma that the Fiesta has now, it would have been more successful within it's own niche for sure.
    The only actual, real "stigma" or very negative sore point of the regular/base Fiestas was/is the damned DCT transaxle, from what I've seen/heard.

    I was not even in the market, nor actively looking for a new car before February of 2016, but I did hear some of the 'buzz' about the FiST regardless.

    IF this car (OR the 1.0T manual, or even the 1.6 manual Fiesta) did not exist when I HAD TO buy a new to me car (I had NO CHOICE in the matter at that point), I would NOT have even considered any of the Nippon or Korean choices whatsoever (regardless of where they were/are screwed together!), and would have ended up in either a new Sonic RS, or a used Cobalt SS turbo, or even a '03-'04 C5 Z06, despite having to take a BIG hit on the used car interest rates (so I am OVERJOYED that it DID exist, new, with 0 down and 0% interest for 72 months no less!!).
    Magnetic 2016 Fiesta ST base model

  6. #86
    Senior Member 129 Rep Points
    0%
    Rate Transaction

    Member #
    4988
    Medals
    Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 50 Rep Points Earned First 100 Rep Points  
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    LA
    State
    CA
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    1,279
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Likes Received
    129


    Quote Originally Posted by M-Sport fan View Post
    The only actual, real "stigma" or very negative sore point of the regular/base Fiestas was/is the damned DCT transaxle, from what I've seen/heard.

    I was not even in the market, nor actively looking for a new car before February of 2016, but I did hear some of the 'buzz' about the FiST regardless.

    IF this car (OR the 1.0T manual, or even the 1.6 manual Fiesta) did not exist when I HAD TO buy a new to me car (I had NO CHOICE in the matter at that point), I would NOT have even considered any of the Nippon or Korean choices whatsoever (regardless of where they were/are screwed together!), and would have ended up in either a new Sonic RS, or a used Cobalt SS turbo, or even a '03-'04 C5 Z06, despite having to take a BIG hit on the used car interest rates (so I am OVERJOYED that it DID exist, new, with 0 down and 0% interest for 72 months no less!!).
    Stigma comes from their reputation over the years but even if the transaxle were the only issue, it is a huge issue...especially compared to the Japanese cars which have a much more reliable reputation. This is going back 20+ years.

    I agree with what someone else said in an earlier post that Ford tends to have a good car making good sales then run it in the ground until it dies. The 80s Taurus was a #1 seller, but then Ford cheaped out and that's what allowed the Japanese to get their foot in the door. My brother had bought his first Ford in the early 2000s and had nothing but trouble with it until he finally gave up on it, sold (donated?) it to the junk yard, vowed never to buy another Ford again and went out to get an accord. He's been an avid Honda fan ever since buying only Hondas to this day.

    I can go on with stories like this. You may prefer Ford to Japanese cars and that's perfectly fine but the numbers seem to show that the majority of people out there (in the states) wouldn't and I believe it's due in some great part to Ford's relatively poor reputation (or bad stigma) with regards to the reliability of their compacts and subcompacts in general.

    Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

  7. #87
    Member 53 Rep Points SoyFiesta's Avatar
    Ratings | Rate Transaction

    Member #
    4672
    Medals
    Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 50 Rep Points  
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Inland Empire
    State
    CA
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    256
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Likes Received
    53


    1 Likes

    The one thing I think Ford could have done to better market the car would be to advertise the Octane Academy with the car...."Not only will we sell you a hot hatch, we'll teach you how to drive it."

    Also, they never really parlayed the popularity of the car from the rave reviews it received. I didn't know the ST existed until I was on youtube watching E46 M3 videos when I was a heartbeat away from buying one, only to find Matt Farah's comparison video between it and a FiST, and after that all it took was a test drive for me to pick up a FiST.
    2016 White Platinum Fiesta ST (Tuned by Mountune, Mountune air filter, Deadhook Symposer Delete, XenonDepot LED low beams, Damond Motorsports OCC, CP-E Catback Exhaust, CP-E RMM, CFM Oil Cap Breather)

  8. #88
    Member 253 Rep Points Quisp's Avatar
    0%
    Rate Transaction

    Member #
    3955
    Medals
    Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 50 Rep Points Earned First 100 Rep Points Earned First 200 Rep Points  
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Davenport
    State
    FL
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    893
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Likes Received
    253


    Quote Originally Posted by M-Sport fan View Post
    The only actual, real "stigma" or very negative sore point of the regular/base Fiestas was/is the damned DCT transaxle, from what I've seen/heard.

    I was not even in the market, nor actively looking for a new car before February of 2016, but I did hear some of the 'buzz' about the FiST regardless.

    IF this car (OR the 1.0T manual, or even the 1.6 manual Fiesta) did not exist when I HAD TO buy a new to me car (I had NO CHOICE in the matter at that point), I would NOT have even considered any of the Nippon or Korean choices whatsoever (regardless of where they were/are screwed together!), and would have ended up in either a new Sonic RS, or a used Cobalt SS turbo, or even a '03-'04 C5 Z06, despite having to take a BIG hit on the used car interest rates (so I am OVERJOYED that it DID exist, new, with 0 down and 0% interest for 72 months no less!!).
    My 93 Sentra SER jumped out of 5th gear. My 05 Spec V regurgitated its converter and needed a new head. They would also ingest secondary butterflies screws. Nothing man made is infallible.

  9. #89
    Member 460 Rep Points
    0%
    Rate Transaction

    Member #
    8838
    Medals
    Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 50 Rep Points Earned First 100 Rep Points Earned First 200 Rep Points  
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Los Angeles
    State
    CA
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    907
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Likes Received
    460


    Quote Originally Posted by neeqness View Post
    Stigma comes from their reputation over the years but even if the transaxle were the only issue, it is a huge issue...especially compared to the Japanese cars which have a much more reliable reputation. This is going back 20+ years.

    I agree with what someone else said in an earlier post that Ford tends to have a good car making good sales then run it in the ground until it dies. The 80s Taurus was a #1 seller, but then Ford cheaped out and that's what allowed the Japanese to get their foot in the door. My brother had bought his first Ford in the early 2000s and had nothing but trouble with it until he finally gave up on it, sold (donated?) it to the junk yard, vowed never to buy another Ford again and went out to get an accord. He's been an avid Honda fan ever since buying only Hondas to this day.

    I can go on with stories like this. You may prefer Ford to Japanese cars and that's perfectly fine but the numbers seem to show that the majority of people out there (in the states) wouldn't and I believe it's due in some great part to Ford's relatively poor reputation (or bad stigma) with regards to the reliability of their compacts and subcompacts in general.

    Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk
    Ford did get a clue as early as the 80’s GM? Well that was one failure after another. Lol till around 8-10 years ago. I have always owned Japanese cars ever since High School, yes Datsun/Nissan. My Focus is the first American car I hace owned since my Mustangs in high school and right after high before amd during owing my Datsuns. My FiST will be the second.

    There is a stigma that Detriot is 100% responsible for that goes right back to the mid 70’s . When my father went to Detriot and met with the heads of Ford and GM and was told they know what Americans want. Thing is they did’nt and the Japanses wiped the floor with them. Lol

    No bias against Japanese car manufacturers they built great cars still do. Did they practice unfair trade practices ya. Did we allow them too? yup! Are we responsible for that? Ya we played a part. Do i believe in Tariffs? Fuck no trade wars do not work. Should we have negoiated and really did not? Yes.

    Ford did fuck up in handling the whole DCT trans thing. Funny thing is Mazda uses the same trans in the 3 but got the software programming right. Driven a 2015 3 for a month or so. Interior was good. Infotainment system was pretty damn good from the ergonomic control perspective. The Sedan versionis nice looking. I think the hatchback looks funny compared to its once removed sister the Focus Hatchback.

    Underneath they are damn near the same cars except Mazda didmake some suspension tweaks that give the 3 he edge over the Focus in the handling department. I said edge meaing slightly better.
    I still have a Focus because its a better bargain. Mazda’s tend to be overpriced used just like Toyota’s and Honda’s.

    So ya Ford suffered big time for the DCT issues and how bad the initial sync system did suck. But like I said earlier the screw up with the Fiesta was interior size compared to the Honda Fit and absouletly no adverstising whatsover for the car.

  10. #90
    Senior Member 1192 Rep Points M-Sport fan's Avatar
    Ratings | Rate Transaction

    Member #
    4438
    Medals
    Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 50 Rep Points Earned First 100 Rep Points Earned First 200 Rep Points  
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Solebury
    State
    PA
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    7,170
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Likes Received
    1192


    Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Quote Originally Posted by SoyFiesta View Post
    The one thing I think Ford could have done to better market the car would be to advertise the Octane Academy with the car...."Not only will we sell you a hot hatch, we'll teach you how to drive it."

    Also, they never really parlayed the popularity of the car from the rave reviews it received. I didn't know the ST existed until I was on youtube watching E46 M3 videos when I was a heartbeat away from buying one, only to find Matt Farah's comparison video between it and a FiST, and after that all it took was a test drive for me to pick up a FiST.
    The Bimmerphile sycophants' reaction to that video in the comments below it would have been enough for me to avoid the Bayerische cars FOR LIFE.
    NO EFFING WAY would I ever want to be part of that elistest snootfest!!
    Magnetic 2016 Fiesta ST base model

 

 
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •