Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

17' FiST Tuning Progress and Questions...

Hey all! I know that this is probably over asked but ever since I got my AP and tuned my car I have been wondering just how accurate the Est. HP and Est. TQ figures on the AP monitor are. Just to paint the picture, mine is a 17' with stock turbo and internals, stock IC, and stock intake. I am running the AET Motorsports VUDU Catless DP, custom mandrel bent 2.5" straight pipe (no tip), VUDU Symposer delete, and NGK Iridiums SHR's...

I got all 3 stages of the Cobb OTS tunes while waiting for a custom stratified tune, and settled for Cobb's STG3 OTS tune. The car feels way more responsive and aggressive, and the boost buildup is way better than on the Stratified tune. I got the Stratified mainly for the crackles/bangs, not so much performance...

But yeah, here are some photos and videos of my car, I was told I was never going to reach more than 225 Crank but if the AP's monitor is accurate I might've just hit that 240 on stock everything! ;)

20181206_130057.jpg 20181128_075738.jpg 20181119_080411.jpg 20181111_104601.jpg
[video]https://drive.google.com/file/d/1eQcSxMjqIL5aPHnnK1IWjCFQpdFv9wdh/view?usp=sharing[/video]

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
I would take the AP numbers with a grain of salt. Those are likely crank numbers (I haven’t seen anyone verify against a dyno), which would mean you’re actually around 200 whp. In other words, if you were to race a car Fiesta who had 240 at the wheels, it wouldn't go the way you expect.

On the flip side, I’ve never seen anyone verify that AP readout, so your car could be an outlier. It’s very unlikely, but is plausible.

OP
VNVConstantine
Thread Starter #3
I would take the AP numbers with a grain of salt. Those are likely crank numbers (I haven’t seen anyone verify against a dyno), which would mean you’re actually around 200 whp. In other words, if you were to race a car Fiesta who had 240 at the wheels, it wouldn't go the way you expect.

On the flip side, I’ve never seen anyone verify that AP readout, so your car could be an outlier. It’s very unlikely, but is plausible.
Yeah that's what I'd assume too but, really? Say in a perfect world the actual AP readout was 100% accurate for both estimated TQ and HP and that those numbers were indeed at the crank, would I really expect to loose about +-40HP at the wheels?

Thanks for the reply brother!

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Yeah that's what I'd assume too but, really? Say in a perfect world the actual AP readout was 100% accurate for both estimated TQ and HP and that those numbers were indeed at the crank, would I really expect to loose about +-40HP at the wheels?

Thanks for the reply brother!
Yes, because the “standard” drivetrain loss is 15%. So, WHP = HP (1 - 0.15) or just HP*0.85 = WHP. It would be 204whp.

pwnall1337

Vendor
The AP hp numbers are based off the tq calculation. The tq calculation if based on the ford OE ve model, so typically when swapping turbos the VE tables need to scale and because there is not a lot of math behind this process in the aftermarket tuning world (scale it until trims are good), essentially this value gets skewed. With the stock turbo it should be pretty accurate as long as the OEM ve table is intact.