Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

2014 FiST - Running rough in extreme cold

I am experiencing an issue with my stock 2014 FiST running in the extreme cold (around 10°F). I have now seen this problem on two occasions. When driving, the throttle is very touchy; it either wants to take off when pressing the gas or engine brakes hard when taking my foot off the pedal. I get a sudden loss of power right around 3500 RPM. After rolling down the window, I could hear that the exhaust sound has a bit of a shudder to it. I can also hear some wastegate flutter and WAY more turbo noise than I usually hear. I popped in my code reader and I get a pending P061C (Mismatch between commanded engine RPM and actual).

I did replace the evap purge valve after this happened the first time, but had to wait for cold temps to see if it fixed the issue. Guess this wasn't the problem.

Any ideas?

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
I don't really know man. Maybe the density of the cold air is messing with the afr? I don't think so because I'm sure the computer would account for the extra volume... Possibly your turbo actuator valve? I actually forget what this parts called. It hooks to the intake, actuator and the exhaust to verify correct boost pressure. Just spitballing though. Hopefully others chime in.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
Here's a link I found explaining more about the code. I'm at work but I'll read through it as well and see if I can come up with anything. https://www.obd-codes.com/p061c
Also, explain your maintenance regimen. How often do you check fluids? When was your last oil change?
Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

PunkST

2000 Post Club
It sounds to me like your throttle body is acting slow and sluggish like its gummed up or the electric motor hates the cold. This is why im not a fan of drive by wire, its a lot easier to lubricate and fix a binding/frozen throttle cable.
It could also be a dead spot in the throttle body.
(

OP
K
Thread Starter #5
Maintenance regimen is pretty half-assed. Last oil change was about 7k ago with full-synthetic. Just get the other fluids topped off each time the vehicle has been in for things like oil change, alignment, tire rotation etc.

The performance didn't seem to change much after the engine was warmed up. So, I think there are two possibilities: 1.) Vehicle was stuck in limp mode, because the wrench light had turned on. 2.) Something that doesn't warm as quickly as the engine performs poorly in the cold.

I will check clean the throttle body with some MAF cleaner and check out the plugs. Also, I will double check the ground cable, as I had to remove it recently when I did the clutch slave cylinder. Poor electrical connections are never good...

Thanks guys!