Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

2017 Ambient Lighting No Longer Above Glove Box?!

Apologies for dragging this thread from the dead, but I wanted to say thanks to whomever is still around and watching it. I used info in this thread to add additional lighting, and I'm very happy with the results. I have a 2019 FiST - managed to grab one of the last couple hundred late last year. I have a friend that has a 2016 Fiesta, and it was bothering me that I didn't have the silly light bar that they had! So after reading through this thread, I ended up buying the earlier wiring harness with the intention of replacing my harness. I gave up on that though; it was way too fiddly to remove the installed harness without removing my dash, and it would have been way too much of a PITA to do that. So I instead used some suggestions on here and bought a 3.5" floppy drive cable and jiggered up my own harness splitter. I found a Fiesta Platinum model in a local junkyard and scavenged the light bar, as well as a few 'lamp sockets'. I installed the splitter, wired up the harness, and installed the light bar. Success! But I had the two other LEDs available now, so I did a little bit of drilling and lit up the center console cubby and the glove box. I'm in love with the results!

Word of warning on installing the lamp sockets in the center console cubby - make sure they're forward enough to clear the bit of plastic behind it - I even cut a little plastic off for better clearance (see the pic). And use caution when drilling - I didn't have anything in the cubby when drilling a hole for the light socket; ended up gouging the plastic :cry:. Drove me nuts enough that I ended up purchasing another one, but this time stuffed the cubby with paper towels to catch the drill bit. That worked like a charm.

The pics with the lights installed seem very bright, but it's just the phone using built-in night shot editing - it's definitely not nearly that blinding at night.

IMG_0556.jpeg IMG_0557.jpeg IMG_0558.jpeg IMG_0568.jpeg IMG_0569 (1).jpeg

Last edited:

TDavis

1000 Post Club
Apologies for dragging this thread from the dead, but I wanted to say thanks to whomever is still around and watching it. I used info in this thread to add additional lighting, and I'm very happy with the results. I have a 2019 FiST - managed to grab one of the last couple hundred late last year. I have a friend that has a 2016 Fiesta, and it was bothering me that I didn't have the silly light bar that they had! So after reading through this thread, I ended up buying the earlier wiring harness with the intention of replacing my harness. I gave up on that though; it was way too fiddly to remove the installed harness without removing my dash, and it would have been way too much of a PITA to do that. So I instead used some suggestions on here and bought a 3.5" floppy drive cable and jiggered up my own harness splitter. I found a Fiesta Platinum model in a local junkyard and scavenged the light bar, as well as a few 'lamp sockets'. I installed the splitter, wired up the harness, and installed the light bar. Success! But I had the two other LEDs available now, so I did a little bit of drilling and lit up the center console cubby and the glove box. I'm in love with the results!

Word of warning on installing the lamp sockets in the center console cubby - make sure they're forward enough to clear the bit of plastic behind it - I even cut a little plastic off for better clearance (see the pic). And use caution when drilling - I didn't have anything in the cubby when drilling a hole for the light socket; ended up gouging the plastic :cry:. Drove me nuts enough that I ended up purchasing another one, but this time stuffed the cubby with paper towels to catch the drill bit. That worked like a charm.

The pics with the lights installed seem very bright, but it's just the phone using built-in night shot editing - it's definitely not nearly that blinding at night.

View attachment 28119 View attachment 28120 View attachment 28121 View attachment 28123 View attachment 28124
I like this alot, definitely will do it in the future

TDavis

1000 Post Club

View attachment 28119 View attachment 28120 View attachment 28121 View attachment 28123 View attachment 28124
Question. At night, when the glovebox is closed, do you see the ambient light bleed out around the edges?

Wow, that came out great! Nice use of the extra lights, I especially like the console one. Thanks for the detailed writeup too.

Question. At night, when the glovebox is closed, do you see the ambient light bleed out around the edges?
Surprisingly not! I expected there to be at least a little, especially at the top. I was thinking of how to seal it up, but during testing with the glovebox closed, there was none at all!
EE808B4D-7911-437B-B467-7448721673C1.jpeg

The new harness is prewired with the LEDs and it will be obvious which one of them snaps onto the end of the light bar. That's the only one I used and just zip tied the rest of the harness out of the way under the dash. Sure, the other LEDs come on, but they are harmlessly stuffed up under the dash. I did not attempt to cut up the new harness at all, which might destroy it. As long as the one LED I needed for the light bar was working, I was good to go.
so to clarify, I just ordered a new harness, the LEDs are already attached to the harness? Prewired? Meaning they come with the harness when you order it? Or do I need to find and order an led strip to install?

akiraproject24

1000 Post Club
U.S. Marine Veteran
I also wanted the glovebox exterior lighting.
I picked up a ceuk strip that uses an add a fuse behind the glovebox. The instructions said to use F7 but that is for the euro cars and was constant on for me. Ended up using the sunroof slot (my car doesn't have sunroof so win win). This method does not allow you to cycle through colors though. Went with red.

Attachments

Ye
I also wanted the glovebox exterior lighting.
I picked up a ceuk strip that uses an add a fuse behind the glovebox. The instructions said to use F7 but that is for the euro cars and was constant on for me. Ended up using the sunroof slot (my car doesn't have sunroof so win win). This method does not allow you to cycle through colors though. Went with red.
im Trying to go full factory install, I already have ambient lighting and ordered the harness I’m just trying to clarify the above post that the harnes actually comes with the LEDs with it that need to go there. That’s what I’m trying to figure out.

Ye

im Trying to go full factory install, I already have ambient lighting and ordered the harness I’m just trying to clarify the above post that the harnes actually comes with the LEDs with it that need to go there. That’s what I’m trying to figure out.
You need the led separate. The one above the glovebox is a BE8Z-13E701-A Light bar - The harness just plugs into it. See Post 56

akiraproject24

1000 Post Club
U.S. Marine Veteran
Giving the pig tail oem harness and light diffuser a try. I'd say I have a 40% chance at success. Just need to solder the ends and heat shrink wrap. Trying to come up with something to keep the female pins from moving inside the male plug.

The CEUK strip i was using only lasts about a year or so and then the lights start dimming and going out. On my 2nd strip now and it's losing 3 or 4 lights.

Attachments

akiraproject24

1000 Post Club
U.S. Marine Veteran
Got the pigtail assembled. Now to see if it actually works
Ill have to grab a pic at night but the pigtail was a success. Hot glued the backs to keep the pins tight and solid. heatshrunk each line then taped it up to look oemish.

Havent found a good way to mount the extra footwell lights as glove box lights. I may just tie them off away from anything hot or moving as right now I can hear one of them when I open and close the box.

A dude a while back on this thread 3D printed some caps to mount them on the slots of the glove box. Looked really clean and badass. Unfortunately his thread was locked where he was selling. IF anyone has a set of these or knows how to make them, I'd gladly toss ya 30 or 40 bucks for a couple...(or more if thats what it takes lol)

Hey I know this has been dead for a while but how did you mount lights in glove box and cubby?