Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

2017 Ambient Lighting No Longer Above Glove Box?!

Finished the job today. Looks good. But......now every time I open the door the car audio alert goes off, any door sets it off. Not sure how adding extra leds has anything to do with that but it never did that before. Might have to return it to stock [emoji52]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If anyone is interested, these are Tyco/TE Type GET.64 connectors. The correct terminals are # 1393367-1 & 1-1419158-6 . As far as I know, you can only buy the terminals in bulk, and you'll need a high quality crimp tool that can do U-barrel type crimps in 22awg and smaller. Hispirish's method of harvesting the pre-cripmed terminals from JST connectors might be better for the hobbyist that does not have these tools or is inexperienced with crimping small u-barrel ends.

I'm most likely going to build a few of these Y-harnesses, but I don't have the housings yet, and I'm not sure what the rules are with regards to selling parts on the forum.

Anyone else experience the door “dinging” after extra led install? I’m back to stock ‘17 ambient lighting and my car is quiet again....very strange

I designed and 3D printed a couple of mounts for the glovebox lights. They slip right over the LED housings on the OE harness and snap fit into the two slots on the backside of the glove box.

Attached are some photos.

I'll post the files up on thingiverse for anyone else to make, and might consider printing out a few sets and sell them to forum members if the rules allow for it, just to recover shipping and material costs.

Anyways, here's how it ended up!
I am definitely interested in a set of these for my '17! Great work and looks like it makes mounting the extra lights dead simple. PM sent!

As I already have hookup wire and a pin crimper, I went the with the pins/connectors from Mouser. Since the minimum order is more than I need, I plan to make a couple extra Y-splitters with the extra parts in case anyone is interested in them.

The JST amazon route was actually the cheapest for the quantity i needed. Just a quick update, ive printed out a good number of these housings in CARBON FIBER for all you weight weenies. Waiting on some shipping supplies, but Ill be selling them in sets of 2 here in a couple of days. Any idea of a fair asking price?

Anyone else experience the door “dinging” after extra led install? I’m back to stock ‘17 ambient lighting and my car is quiet again....very strange

Does it do it if you plug just the pre-17' lamp harness in? Maybe the BCM doesn't like something about the added current draw from the 3 more LEDs, although I can't imagine that its very much.

I will look into that test next. Snow is on its way so it’ll be a couple days before I can narrow down this mystery

It is very strange that hooking up the additional OEM harness affected anything because a number of us have done the same thing on our 2017s with no adverse results. If you look further up in this thread, you will see that I cobbled together a pretty rudimentary method of tapping into the OEM plug but it works just fine. Maybe there is something related to your wiring that is causing an additional current draw or increased resistance to the point that it is affecting things. Perhaps you should try the simple wiretap method I outlined above to see if you get the same result when you add the additional harness. At the very least it might help you diagnose the issue. Good luck.

The JST amazon route was actually the cheapest for the quantity i needed. Just a quick update, ive printed out a good number of these housings in CARBON FIBER for all you weight weenies. Waiting on some shipping supplies, but Ill be selling them in sets of 2 here in a couple of days. Any idea of a fair asking price?
Throw something out there, shipping+material costs+time/effort/creativity, I won't argue with a fair price you justify.

I must have missed something cause I don't understand why this is so complicated. I would think we'd just need to find the components from a 16 or prior and plug them in unless they made physical alterations to the car or something.

I must have missed something cause I don't understand why this is so complicated. I would think we'd just need to find the components from a 16 or prior and plug them in unless they made physical alterations to the car or something.
The pre-2017 dashboard light tube is pretty scarce. At least as of a few months ago, they were sold out nationwide and at least one large Ford parts retailer suggested they were out of production. I have no clue whether that is true, or how available they might be today. Any Ford dealer can check nationwide inventory for a buyer. Of course you can try to source one from a wrecked car. As far as the harness goes, swapping for a pre-2017 harness requires a lot more disassembly that just piggybacking.

Its not complicated. You can change out the whole harness if you want. Like apex said, getting to the light on the driver's side requires taking more of the interior apart. The piggyback method is used to avoid that as well as giving us 2 extra LEDs to use as glovebox lamps.

Parts arrived today, so I whipped one of these Y-harnesses up. I suffer from unreasonable OCD that causes me to replicate things in a manner which makes them appear to be factory, right down to the sloppy tape job. So it caused me to spend and hour of my life on a silly piggyback harness to put colored lights on my dashboard, that no one will ever see.

I have enough parts to put 3 more of these together. If there's any interest, let me know and I'll post them up in the for sale section.

IMG_20180309_205721075.jpg IMG_20180309_205047753.jpg

So I bought the harness, do I need the light bar for the dashboard or is that optional? Will I need anything else beyond that to add this to my 2017?