Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

2020 FiST Tire Options - Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4?

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Why do you say he is looking for an all-season tire?

I'm going to say something that I know is a pet peeve of yours you live in California you know nothing about rain. 33 in of rain a year is a joke where I live. If you lived in the Southeast you would understand rain is not a big deal. It rains all the time we had 2 in of rain this morning in Central North Carolina.
You don't need all season tires for the rain a good summer tire works just fine in the rain.

People run summer tires here on performance cars during the warmer months some even do it year-round. Back in 2018 my area received 64 inches of rain.

If we only received 33 in of rain we would have some problems that would be a very severe drought.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

CSM

1000 Post Club
The Indy 500 is really freaking good and reminds me of a 200tw tire... Take a look at the tread blocks in the PS4 A/S. No matter how good the several year newer compound is, I can't see how there wouldn't be more tread squirm, less response with the PS4 A/S.
Having owned the Indy 500s in the past, and also having owned the Azenis RT660 and Direzza ZIII, I can tell you with a lot of confidence that Indy 500 is nowhere NEAR the same league as those tires. Turn in and lateral G loads aren't even close.

I'd say Indy 500 is an option if you want a budget summer tire with decent wear, as there are better out there but its fairly OK for the price.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Having owned the Indy 500s in the past, and also having owned the Azenis RT660 and Direzza ZIII, I can tell you with a lot of confidence that Indy 500 is nowhere NEAR the same league as those tires. Turn in and lateral G loads aren't even close.

I'd say Indy 500 is an option if you want a budget summer tire, as there are better out there but its fairly OK for the price.
Are the Direzza ZIII okay in the rain? I'm planning on getting a set in the spring.
Like North Carolina rain? I'm still on the OEM summer tires at 14,000 miles and they've been okay in the rain.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Are the Direzza ZIII okay in the rain? I'm planning on getting a set in the spring.
Like North Carolina rain? I'm still on the OEM summer tires at 14,000 miles and they've been okay in the rain.

Wish I was @14k! Lucky!

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

SteveS

1000 Post Club
Oh and on another note when I went to Octane Academy the cars were equipped with Pilot Sports AS3 or 4’s . Kinda interesting anecdote that a performance track driving program would run and not say the RE50’s.

So ya
Considering it was raining when I did STOA I was glad they were running the Pilot Sports. And I didn't think they were bad compared to the RE050A's on our car, though I didn't compare them A/B.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Why do you say he is looking for an all-season tire?

I'm going to say something that I know is a pet peeve of yours you live in California you know nothing about rain. 33 in of rain a year is a joke where I live. If you lived in the Southeast you would understand rain is not a big deal. It rains all the time we had 2 in of rain this morning in Central North Carolina.
You don't need all season tires for the rain a good summer tire works just fine in the rain.

People run summer tires here on performance cars during the warmer months some even do it year-round. Back in 2018 my area received 64 inches of rain.

If we only received 33 in of rain we would have some problems that would be a very severe drought.

lol it shows you how little you know of me if you think its a pet peeve. A pet peeve would be the out of staters ripping on California when most have not lived here. In other words you haven taken my past statements way out of context here.
33 inches of rain a year is considered a lot by meteorological standards. Oh and now you would not be in a drought if you only received that.
The bay area is not considered semi arid which SoCal is our average rainfall is 11 inches a year t

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
lol it shows you how little you know of me if you think its a pet peeve. A pet peeve would be the out of staters ripping on California when most have not lived here. In other words you haven taken my past statements way out of context here.
33 inches of rain a year is considered a lot by meteorological standards. Oh and now you would not be in a drought if you only received that.
The bay area is not considered semi arid which SoCal is our average rainfall is 11 inches a year t
Droughts are based on individual locations and what is considered normal rainfall.
33 in a year would be very very dry in my area. The plants nor wildlife would be adapt to that.
My point is I know about rain. You don't need all season tires for the rain I've had some all-season tires that are absolutely awful in the rain and some that are good.

"A drought is defined depending on the average amount of precipitation that an area is accustomed to receiving."
https://www.nationalgeographic.org/article/understanding-droughts/

Last edited:

CSM

1000 Post Club

Yes you will be fine. I did a few years in them in Charlotte and Atlanta. As with all of the 200TW tires out there, don't drive like an idiot (e.g., keep it appropriate for conditions), give some distance between you and other cars and no sudden turns/stops on standing water and you'll be fine.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Droughts are based on individual locations and what is considered normal rainfall.
33 in a year would be very very dry in my area. The plants nor wildlife would be adapt to that.
My point is I know about rain. You don't need all season tires for the rain I've had some all-season tires that are absolutely awful in the rain and some that are good.

"A drought is defined depending on the average amount of precipitation that an area is accustomed to receiving."
https://www.nationalgeographic.org/article/understanding-droughts/

Ya but PS4’s are a pretty nice tire overall. and the amount of rain is also how reflective of the time. In the bay area the rainy season is like November-December till March by April its all but done. So its 33 inches in a 5 month span which is a decent amount for 5 months.
its relative and what you get can be considered on the heavier side of rain I would not use your example of a barometer of 33 inches a year being a little. Especially given the time span of the 33 inches.

I would not want to live in place with 64 inches of rain. that spells a lot of gloomy months. Hence why I never moved to Portland.

Not to get pedantic, but if one googles the annual rainfall in San Jose, it's well below average and lower than the numbers discussed. That said, everyone should should evaluate the characteristics of a tire for themselves and pick the one they want, however they see fit. I'd normally want something with closer wet and dry performance, but I like the Indy 500 in the dry enough to be happy with the slight compromise in the wet. I personally wouldn't select a UHP all-season, but the gap between those and a dedicated summer tire is likely closer than it has been in the past. There's also a limit to how fast you should drive on the street, and with ever increasing tire performance, in today's tires something a little less responsive may fit the bill for many people.

To clarify, I was not attempting to suggest the Indy 500 is equal to a 200tw. I intended to say (but did not say), that the turn in reminded me a bit of a 200tw. I don't mean to suggest it's the equal, but at say 7-8/10ths on the street, I don't think it's night and day difference (granted I haven't driven say the RT660). I have tens of track hours on 200tw, tens of track hours on UHP tires, in both cases in other cars and there's a clear difference. As a different point of discussion, I have ~12 hours on track with the RE50As with a different car and only street experience with the Indy 500s. My judgement of the two tires from experiences years apart, is that the Indy 500 is a more fun tire on the street.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Ya but PS4’s are a pretty nice tire overall. and the amount of rain is also how reflective of the time. In the bay area the rainy season is like November-December till March by April its all but done. So its 33 inches in a 5 month span which is a decent amount for 5 months.
its relative and what you get can be considered on the heavier side of rain I would not use your example of a barometer of 33 inches a year being a little. Especially given the time span of the 33 inches.

I would not want to live in place with 64 inches of rain. that spells a lot of gloomy months. Hence why I never moved to Portland.
I'm sure it's a great tire, and I would absolutely considerate it for my g70.
But it's an all-season tire I don't see based on the tread design how it could compete grip wise especially dry grip with any type of Summer tire.

The climate is not gloomy though. Would you consider Florida if you've been to Florida especially Miami gloomy I would say most people would not. Well its rainfall is in the 60 plus inches category. North Carolina this year in May received about 10 in of rain.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I'm sure it's a great tire, and I would absolutely considerate it for my g70.
But it's an all-season tire I don't see based on the tread design how it could compete grip wise especially dry grip with any type of Summer tire.

The climate is not gloomy though. Would you consider Florida if you've been to Florida especially Miami gloomy I would say most people would not. Well its rainfall is in the 60 plus inches category. North Carolina this year in May received about 10 in of rain.

I would not consider Florida nor would I consider the whole eastern Seaboard I hate humidity. lol I also find Florida horrible in many other aspects lol.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Not to get pedantic, but if one googles the annual rainfall in San Jose, it's well below average and lower than the numbers discussed. That said, everyone should should evaluate the characteristics of a tire for themselves and pick the one they want, however they see fit. I'd normally want something with closer wet and dry performance, but I like the Indy 500 in the dry enough to be happy with the slight compromise in the wet. I personally wouldn't select a UHP all-season, but the gap between those and a dedicated summer tire is likely closer than it has been in the past. There's also a limit to how fast you should drive on the street, and with ever increasing tire performance, in today's tires something a little less responsive may fit the bill for many people.

To clarify, I was not attempting to suggest the Indy 500 is equal to a 200tw. I intended to say (but did not say), that the turn in reminded me a bit of a 200tw. I don't mean to suggest it's the equal, but at say 7-8/10ths on the street, I don't think it's night and day difference (granted I haven't driven say the RT660). I have tens of track hours on 200tw, tens of track hours on UHP tires, in both cases in other cars and there's a clear difference. As a different point of discussion, I have ~12 hours on track with the RE50As with a different car and only street experience with the Indy 500s. My judgement of the two tires from experiences years apart, is that the Indy 500 is a more fun tire on the street.
I would not raise the Indy 500 to the level of the RE50 while it wears out quickly and loses itself after a heat cycle the RE50 is not a bad tire. I do not think the Indy 500 compares in any way shape or form its. As far as the rainfall totals go ...

If you have to say not to be pedantic you are indeed being pedantic . Fact is 33 inches of rain a year is a fair amount and you want to keep on wiki ing stuff you can.
I am done with this conversation points have been made either way I do not agree with you end of story,
I will agree to disagree have a nice evening.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I would not raise the Indy 500 to the level of the RE50 while it wears out quickly and loses itself after a heat cycle the RE50 is not a bad tire. I do not think the Indy 500 compares in any way shape or form.
I would go so far as to say that it is a much better looking tire than the 050 though. [wink] LOL

Zormecteon

From my reading and experience the PS AS4 tires are nearly as good as a summer only tire in the summer. Unless you're tracking the car, I think you would never know the difference..it may show up only in extreme testing....

I'm reminded of stereo sytsem ratings in the 70s and 80s. THD (total harmonic distortion) was being measured and given in the spec sheets. When it began, 1% was a good number... then .5%, .1%... .05% .. .. BUT.. if you can't hear the difference, there is no difference, to you. Same with tires. If you don't drive in such a manner as to completely stress it to it's limits, there is no difference... maybe with turn in responsiveness, but ultimate grip probably shouldn't be achieved on the streets.

YMMV
My 2¢

OP
jreederphoto
Thread Starter #58
Wow, I haven't checked the thread in a few days (notices keep going in spam)

FWIW, I'm partial to summer tires...just unfamiliar with the summer choices in the OEM sizes for the FiST. If I had the option for one of the more mainstream options like a Michelin Pilot Sport 4s, it would be an easy choice.

As a side note...regarding all of the rain comments, how the A/S's do in the cold is more interesting to me than the wet.

Spirited canyon runs (8/10ths) tend to happen early in the morning before bicyclists and the crowds head out. Very common to have sub 40 deg mornings 3-4 months a year here. I know that's not reallllly cold compared to other places but I believe summer tires start to suffer around sub 50 deg temps.

Either way, at this point I'm leaning towards Indy 500's. They seem like a good value and will be a decent upgrade from the trashed A/S3's the car came with.

In nasty weather I have another car I can drive.

Thanks All!

akiraproject24

1000 Post Club
U.S. Marine Veteran
Does anybody have photos of Dunlop Direzza on OEM Fist wheels? I am trying to envision the OEM rim with 205 Potenza vs 215 Direzza. How does that added 10mm of width fit the rim?