Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

205/40/17 Options Diminishing?

The summer tire selection in 205/40/17 seems to be diminishing. Looking at manufacturer websites, it appears that 205/40/17 has been discontinued for Firestone Indy 500 and Goodyear Asymmetric 3. It looks like the remaining options are Michelin PS4, Yokohama V710, Khumo P31, Pirelli PZero Nero, Bridgestone RE50A. As far as I can tell the RE50A and PZero Nero are 15-20 year old design. The RE50A has a 140TW rating, which means they have a lower treadwear rating than competition street tires. The Khumo P31 doesn't perform that well in tire rack testing.

I don't think a 200TW competition tire would work as the weather can fluctuate quickly where I live and go freezing at times you wouldn't expect. Additionally, while I've raced on a wet track on a 200TW tire, I'm not sure I want to use one on a regular basis in the rain.

I know it's been discussed, but I have reservations about 205/45/17. The thing that makes this car good is the nervous turn in energy. I'm not exactly sure how Ford managed to do it so well and I don't want to mess with it.

Should I rush out and buy remaining stock of the discontinued tires, or am I over thinking the 205/45/17 issue?

Jerickson88

I'm sure a piece of the market had this car in mind, since that was a factory size.

Nitto will probably always make a tire in this size.

I wouldnt run out and stock up so to speak.

I have 215/40 17 on now. I'm considering a 215/45 17 next go around, little.more cushion.

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
The indys are discontinued? I would email firestone and ask them directly

2017 Magnetic FiST w/Recaros

OP
S
Thread Starter #6
^ My thinking is that if they no longer list the size on their website, it's no longer available.

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I'm on stock suspension, no plans to change for some time. Thoughts?
I dunno - I never ran them at stock ride height. They were tall and happily ate my inner fender liners. I do believe that others on this forum are running the 215/45 on a stock suspension without too much rub.

Jerickson88

I dunno - I never ran them at stock ride height. They were tall and happily ate my inner fender liners. I do believe that others on this forum are running the 215/45 on a stock suspension without too much rub.
I like the 215/40 just want other options. Maybe. I might go back with the Formoza FD2. I'm on RS-RR right now, and it wasnt rhat big of a deal to drive daily, but a roof rack and RR'S= F5 wheres my truck?

To the OP, hopefully thru my ramblings you see that the other sizing doesnt effect the handling as drastically as you might think.

I drive like a 50 year old dude in a corvette. Might punch it every now and again, but I keep it within the limits, so I dont notice the same things many others might.

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
^ My thinking is that if they no longer list the size on their website, it's no longer available.
I just emailed them, as I'm curious about this development. I was hoping to buy a set next spring.
I know our stock size is less common, but I thought it was a decent seller for them.

\/ Email sent to Firestone \/
Hi,
I have a 2017 Ford Fiesta ST that specs 205/40R17 summer/performance tire. I noticed you dont not show the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 in my size. I see the "wide oval" 500 in my size, but that is an older tire which I thought the Indy 500 replaced. This has me confused.
I noticed that tire rack in fact has the Indy 500 in my size, with no mention of it discontinued. In fact, they list it as a "best seller" in my size. I know 205/40r17is a less common size in North America, which is why it is a concern. Please tell me it's not discontinued... Thanks

Last edited:

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
Update:
I received a response from Firestone (see below). Seems like the Indy 500s are still being made in our size. I think their main website is a little screwed up. Especially considering they show the the Indy Oval tires for our car... I'm pretty sure the Indy 500's are the Oval's replacements.

Good Afternoon Ivan,

Thank you for reaching out to Firestone with your tire inquiry. The Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 is available listed on our corporate retail website: https://www.firestonecompleteautocare.com/tires/brands/firestone/firehawkindy500/12190

This may be a tire that would have to special order for you as it is a summer tire specifically. That store location can be reached by dialing: (718) 284-6000. Their address is also listed on the above link.

OP
S
Thread Starter #11
Interesting, thanks for asking them. So next question - I know the Indy 500 is a great dry tire, is it good enough in the wet?

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
Interesting, thanks for asking them. So next question - I know the Indy 500 is a great dry tire, is it good enough in the wet?
Im sure it is. Check out tire rack, they tested it. There's a decent size vid of it going against 3 other tires.

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
I've only driven them a couple times in the wet, but they felt confidence inspiring, like they had a decent amount of grip in those conditions.