Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

2nd owner, finally determined the 1st owner installed Swift springs -- need help with improving ride quality

Hi all -- So, when doing my front and rear brakes and rotors, I was able to scrub enough dirt off the springs to determine the 1st owner of my 2017 installed Swift springs on stock struts. This is my daily driver (with no plans to hit the track ) and while the car looks great lowered, the ride is a bit harsh, even after going to 16" wheels and tires. The roads here in Colorado are not the best.

I'm on a budget, so I can't afford coilovers right now. I was wondering what the best next step is to improve the ride quality a bit. Should I replace the Swift springs with stock (2017-2019) springs; Eibach or Mountune springs combined with new rear Powerflex spring pads; or keep the Swift springs and add new Koni yellows or Bilstein B6s or B8s?

Thanks for any insight. I've searched through quite a few older threads on here, but it was difficult to find a definitive answer.

Steve

I think it's going to depend on what aspect of the Swift's are getting to you if that's what it is at all. I've never had linear springs, only progressive lowering springs and I would've called them all very comfortable (kind of). Just soft at the initial bite of the springs / suspension loading up to try and break down that observation. I would assume Swift's have some extra sharpness on initial load.

When / how are you noticing the perceived harshness? I know the factory dampening has people who either love it or hate it depending on what they want out of their ST. But 16+ should be the more comfortable OEM setup in terms of some characteristics.

So it could be good to get some more observational thoughts from you, and maybe specifics on your wheel and tire sizing + pressures you like to run?

OP
P
Thread Starter #3
Thank you for the response! So, it's most noticeable when hitting any type of dip or fault in the road -- and there are many here due to how the weather and de-icing chemicals affect the asphalt. The car just bounces in a jarring fashion when hitting these types of road imperfections. I'm running 16x7 Rota Grids on 205x45xr16 all-season/all-weather Vrdestein (sp?) tires. Pressures are set about 10 psi below max, front and rear.

Mikey456

I’m currently running swift springs and it’s getting bouncy on stock struts. I’m ordered some B6s to help with that. I want to stay on my lowered springs for aesthetic reasons. The springs are stiffer than stock. If you want more comfort and ride height go back to stock and get some decent shocks. If you want to spend more get coil overs and set your own ride height

2017 Ford Fiesta ST, Shadow Black, Recaro seats, Mountune RMM, Swift springs, 5mm rear spacers.

Fusion Works

If you would like I would trade you my ST springs for the swifts. The STs are stock rate in the front and 111-117lbs in the rear so a bit softer than the OE rear Springs.

akiraproject24

1000 Post Club
U.S. Marine Veteran
You guys have any pics of the swifts/B6/B8/Koni yellow combos? Trying to get an idea of how the car will sit if I go this route. Ive been all over the map trying to decide then I end up at coilovers then dont want to deal with them and start the process all over again.

You guys have any pics of the swifts/B6/B8/Koni yellow combos? Trying to get an idea of how the car will sit if I go this route. Ive been all over the map trying to decide then I end up at coilovers then dont want to deal with them and start the process all over again.

I’m pretty sure that’s the best one I’ve got, it’s a pretty old pic… honeymoon phase.

Though, unsure if this is before or after…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m pretty sure that’s the best one I’ve got, it’s a pretty old pic… honeymoon phase.

Though, unsure if this is before or after…

are those stock size tires? The wheel gap does seem a bit larger than my swifts with stock shocks. I am also not liking the ride and performance with the stock shocks and from peoples reviews the Bilsteins are great but many report they raise the car.

so to the OP, Im a bit in your boat also. Koni yellows seem like they’d be a good option for performance but at almost $850 for a set your almost into some coil over territory.

are those stock size tires? The wheel gap does seem a bit larger than my swifts with stock shocks. I am also not liking the ride and performance with the stock shocks and from peoples reviews the Bilsteins are great but many report they raise the car.

so to the OP, Im a bit in your boat also. Koni yellows seem like they’d be a good option for performance but at almost $850 for a set your almost into some coil over territory.
I’m finally putting the summer set back on tomorrow, I’ll grab a better shot. That pic is from 2017, and I honestly am not sure if that is pre or post suspension swap. Those are the OEM Dunlops.

Definitely quick and definitely dirty.

Definitely not much lower, which wasn’t my overall aim anyway, the OEM setup was too bouncy, these aren’t. I had a 2011 SES on KWV1 “coil overs” that I had set at a 15 mm gap which performed great but these are pretty equal and I don’t scrape parts off in the winter. Bilsteins and Swifts are a decent year round setup for normal driving, if stance is the aim…

Here mine as it sits now. Funny the pics seem to make it look like the gap is bigger than when I’m standing here looking at it in person.

Again: swift springs, stock shocks and OEM tires on 17x7.5 wheels

Attachments

Here mine as it sits now. Funny the pics seem to make it look like the gap is bigger than when I’m standing here looking at it in person.

Again: swift springs, stock shocks and OEM tires on 17x7.5 wheels
Ditto.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Definitely quick and definitely dirty.

Definitely not much lower, which wasn’t my overall aim anyway, the OEM setup was too bouncy, these aren’t. I had a 2011 SES on KWV1 “coil overs” that I had set at a 15 mm gap which performed great but these are pretty equal and I don’t scrape parts off in the winter. Bilsteins and Swifts are a decent year round setup for normal driving, if stance is the aim…

The Pro Race 3s look a lot better on our rides than I thought they would. [thumb]