Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Factory spark plugs out at 630 miles - Comparison to Tune+ Denso plugs

OffTheWall503

1000 Post Club
I decided to buy the Denso spark plugs from Tune+ and finally got around to installing them today after sitting for a week. My 2016 FiST currently has 633 miles on it. I thought some would be interested in noting the differences between the plugs and what the stock plugs looked like. These plugs from Adam at Tune+ are one step colder and claim to help against ignition timing correction. http://adamtuned.myshopify.com/coll...spark-plugs-pre-gapped-to-tune-specs-set-of-4

The Tune+ plugs, Denso ITV22 (5340) gapped for the FiST

The stock plugs with 633 miles on them. A little more carbon build up than I was expecting (order: 1, 2, 3, 4)

I've always been a fan of Denso plugs. These are no exceptional. They feel very well made, "JAPAN" stamping on the body. Terminal appears to be gold coated or at least brass. You will notice that the overall length is shorter than the stock FoMoCo plugs.

Initial impressions. As noted in some threads on here, the shorter plug length causes a slightly longer crank-to-start compared to the factory plugs. I also must note that I am currently on Mountune's Stage 1 OTS map that came with the AP3 I bought from them. With stock plugs, I noticed when going from first to second gear in particular, that the power would kick-in in such a way that felt like being kicked by a horse. It almost felt violent and harsh. Some may light that, but I felt it was too much too soon on a car that I commute with. And I didn't like how the power didn't kick in smoothly. These plugs seem to have smoothed out that power curve making it much more controllable. It also seems a little more responsive to-touch at the gas pedal, idle feels dead smooth.

I will post more impressions once I drive on these for a week but wanted to let people know what I've thought so far.

OP
OffTheWall503

OffTheWall503

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #4
None that I seem to have found besides the longer crank over like others have mentioned.

For those that would like to keep fomoco parts just use the coyote boss 302 plugs, they are a step cooler and same length.. just gap them down to .024...

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

dyn085

2000 Post Club
It does not require new plugs, however I decided it wouldn't hurt adding the colder step plugs to prevent timing and knock correction.
The early adopters experienced a lot of fouling due to the colder plug, iirc. The FiST hasn't shown a need for colder plugs on the OEM turbo. If you're having knock on your tune then the tune is too aggressive for the fuel because they OEM plugs aren't too 'hot'.

OP
OffTheWall503

OffTheWall503

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #10
This is true. I haven't had any issues yet, however. Time will tell. I kept the stock plugs just in case. :)

Maybe [MENTION=3805]Tune+[/MENTION] can give some insight.

me32

1000 Post Club
For those that would like to keep fomoco parts just use the coyote boss 302 plugs, they are a step cooler and same length.. just gap them down to .024...

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Thanks for the heads up

The NGK LTR7IX-11 are one heat range colder. Are they the same length as the stock plugs, or shorter like the ITV22's?

Couple of things here... the reach of the plug doesn't appear to be that different. Look at the plugs from the beveled seat to the ground electrode, not from the terminal up. The ceramic insulator and terminal is shorter, but the base that extends into the cylinder threads looks fairly close.

Next... your stock plugs look fine. Some soot on the case and extending threads is expected, but the ceramic is clean with only slight discoloration from fuel additives. Likely they would have been fine for many more miles, unless you planned to go big boost.

OP
OffTheWall503

OffTheWall503

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #15
No word from Adam? On if these are needed if your running a stock turbo?
He has specified that these will work for both stock cars and built cars.

2Cool - I agree, the length is not far from stock. I believe these differences are minimal. And the stock plugs are ok, I am keeping them around as backup.

So I think I'm gonna try this, do you have any tips for installing them? I've been trying to find guides but not that hard, I've never changed spark plugs before but I feel confident enough in myself to not fuck it up.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
So I think I'm gonna try this, do you have any tips for installing them? I've been trying to find guides but not that hard, I've never changed spark plugs before but I feel confident enough in myself to not fuck it up.
Just remember to NOT use a socket to install the new plugs.....get a piece of hose that can fit nice and snug around the porcelain and put it into the hole while spinning it into the threads on the head. This will only go in the correct way and will help avoid the possibility of cross threading the plugs and the head. Trust me you don't want to deal with a cross threaded plug in a cylinder of any kind.[twothumb]

Just remember to NOT use a socket to install the new plugs.....get a piece of hose that can fit nice and snug around the porcelain and put it into the hole while spinning it into the threads on the head. This will only go in the correct way and will help avoid the possibility of cross threading the plugs and the head. Trust me you don't want to deal with a cross threaded plug in a cylinder of any kind.[twothumb]
OK, how much should I screw them in? Is there a guide somewhere on how to get them properly set? I want to get them pre-gapped so I cant mess that up, and I just want to make sure I do it right.

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
don't use a hose... just buy a spark plug socket. they have a rubber grommet built in that holds the spark plug nice and snug. I've been using something like this for a couple of decades. never crossed a plug. And put a light coat of anti-sieze on the threads

koozy

3000 Post Club
don't use a hose... just buy a spark plug socket. they have a rubber grommet built in that holds the spark plug nice and snug. I've been using something like this for a couple of decades. never crossed a plug. And put a light coat of anti-sieze on the threads

+1, what he said.