Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

How reliable is the fiesta ST? And why should I buy it ?

airjor13

2000 Post Club
Hi and welcome, that is kind of a vague questions but the 1.6 ecoboost is a fairly robust engine. There are quite a few members here reliability making 300+ WHP with various big turbo set-ups on the stock block.

You should buy the car because its awesome and fun as hell, that's why you are here right lol?

Rhinopolis

Hello - I don't intend to come across as rude here, and these are questions that you can research and answer for yourself. There are plenty of examples of higher mileage FiST still running as good as when they were new. As far as why you should purchase one in the 1st place, have you been living under a rock!? [:p]

Just joking, and the FiST is known as one of the best bang for a buck cars available on the market. I suggest typing "Fiesta ST" in to YouTube and watching every video review that you can find. My guess is that before you are finished with the videos, you will have your FiST already picked out!

Waterfan

Also not trying to be rude, but if reliability is your primary concern, you should not be considering any performance-oriented car. Go lease a Toyota/Honda transportation appliance (Camry/Accord) and never worry (or be excited to turn the key). No one picks the FiST because they want reliablilty. We buy the FiST for fun and value, and secondary expectations of reasonable quality/reliability.

Other comments on Ford Fiesta ST reliability:
-Based on a Fiesta MkVI (VII in UK) platform that has sold hundreds of thousands of units worldwide
-Industry competitive warranty terms to cover most minor and major concerns
-"Halo" car of its product line, Ford will avoid/prevent/correct issues in this car to maintain the entire brand image.

Fiesta Sixth Generation (wiki)
"In its first two years since the latest generation Fiesta went on sale in October 2008, more than 940,000 Fiestas had been purchased by customers around the world, with 810,000 (86%) being sold in Europe (September 2010).[49]"

dyn085

2000 Post Club
In all fairness, I'm pretty confident that that is the overall Fiesta numbers, not just the ST. Either way, I think this ST has been pretty solid as a whole regarding reliability.

OffTheWall503

1000 Post Club
I'm sure reliability on these are pretty top notch from what I have gathered on here. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Plus the ST was just rated one of the "Best bang for the buck" cars under $25,000.

Its in the way you maintain and drive the car. The FiST is lucky because everything that could have gone wrong was learned beforehand with the Focus ST, and at rally courses across the world. It has a quirk of the shift linkage clunking on lower rpm shifts, shift at a higher rpm it goes away. I would watch for RMM issues but really unless you're launching this car at every light you'll be fine. Launch a Corolla, you'll certainly be putting undue stress on the components, and who launches a Corolla anyways so who knows what would happen. The FiST has been torture tested. It's been out 3 three years and many have taken it cross-country, offroad, the daily grind, snowstorms, summer heat, all while constantly data logging, dyno runs, and upgraded tunes to squeeze those fractions of a second at the track. Search the forums, many are over 40,000mi. There are a few on here that have over 100,000mi. It's the car of auto-journalists, a learning tool for racers, and daily drivers for people who keep their Porsches in the garage.
I'm not saying you should drink the Kool-aid, that's your opinion, but it's a heck of a refreshing Kool-aid.

JasonHaven

10k miles in, my only two issues so far is a noise clutch pedal (squeaks/clicks, its definitely the clutch pedal mechanism, not the clutch/flywheel/transmission), and a light behind my cruise control controls on the wheel is out.

I consider that to be pretty good so far. :)

If you are really concerned about the fiST reliability, do what I did and look for a Ford certified pre-owned car that comes with an extra 1 year and 12,000mile bumper to bumper warranty, and with a 7 year or 100,000 mile power train warranty and your fears will be gone.
I found a 2016 CPO used fiST with only 580 miles on it for $18,900, virtually a new car with over a $7,000 discount from new, and the power train warranty expires in 2023. A no brainer.
Deals are out there, just put the time in and you will find one.
Good luck.

pelotonracer2

1000 Post Club
I'm at 34,400 miles and not a single issue...

oh wait, I take that back... my HVAC "flapper" is ticking but that's going to be replaced on Wednsday at the Ford dealer. [:p]

GAbOS

I got mine used via CarMax and got their warranty on top of Fords.

I always first do my googling and research of the market I am interested in +/- a few in between. You never know!

Know your needs. These are very different than your wants. :)

Patience...

Car Found!!

If you adhere to all of the above, you can get exactly what you want. Many more steps required after finding the car using CL, but those are easy to google.

Waterfan

In all fairness, I'm pretty confident that that is the overall Fiesta numbers, not just the ST. Either way, I think this ST has been pretty solid as a whole regarding reliability.
Yes, that is ALL Fiestas. As a total SWAG, ST sales are probably only ~10k-20k units / year, globally. (I could not find anywhere this was broken out. I took pre-US-launch Ford projections, "we hope to sell 5k per year in US" and picked a global multiplier from my <redacted> :))

Do it!! You won't be sorry, I haven't seen any come in for anything other than maintenance. I'm signing my paperwork tomorrow on a 2016 fully loaded fiesta st!! Can't wait

Wrenching for Ford is what I do

me32

1000 Post Club
I dont think this is the car for the OP. I think he may be better off with a civic or corolla

I agree. I have worked at a Ford dealership for over 20 years and because i have a demo and can drive anything i want i never felt the need too buy anything, until the first time i drove one of the Fiesta ST'S! I came back from driving it once and bought it!

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

I'll tell you I have a little tranny whine but the dealer wasn't concerned, nor were the 6, yes 6 techs and employees at the dealer who drive FiSTs...

Sent from my XT1064 using Tapatalk

We have 4 at my store including my son and myself. None of our transmissions whine though. I think i would go to another Ford store and get another opinion.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Waterfan

I'm at 34,400 miles and not a single issue...

oh wait, I take that back... my HVAC "flapper" is ticking but that's going to be replaced on Wednsday at the Ford dealer. [:p]
Happened to me @ 21k miles. Fixed under warranty in half a day (I have a CPO B2B up to 3y/36k). First visit ever to any Ford service and they were awesome.

My one and only issue. 6k of my own miles on the car, 24k miles total.

I went to the racing school that is provided and when I was talking to one of the instructors he preceded to tell me that on all of the Focus and Fiesta ST vehicles they had there(around 20) none had blown an engine. Now these vehicles had anywhere between 4,000 and 10,000 miles on them. They were purchased new and have only been on the track. They have never seen the road. I find it incredible that they have had no engine problems when they have been abused that much and rode so hard on the track.