Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

AC Not Working

bkrusz

When set to HI, it still blows hot air, but when set to low, its ambient (which being in AZ means still hot).
I replaced the AC compressor relay, and it clicks when the car is turned on and off, however, it doesn't click when the AC button in the center control stack is pressed, and the compressor never turns on. The other AC related fuses are fine as well.
My COBB reads AC system pressure as 15-16 psi (which I think is currently the problem), and the AC pressure sensor voltage at 0.5. No codes were picked up with the COBB check as well.
Any ideas as to where else to look before just trying to get a refill?

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
When set to HI, it still blows hot air, but when set to low, its ambient (which being in AZ means still hot).
I replaced the AC compressor relay, and it clicks when the car is turned on and off, however, it doesn't click when the AC button in the center control stack is pressed, and the compressor never turns on. The other AC related fuses are fine as well.
My COBB reads AC system pressure as 15-16 psi (which I think is currently the problem), and the AC pressure sensor voltage at 0.5. No codes were picked up with the COBB check as well.
Get it professionally vacuumed and then filled with A/C Dye and Freon. Then get it checked for leaks. You can do most of this yourself.....But* the vacuum part is more difficult and just easiest just left up to the professionals with the $3-5k a/c machines.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

OP
B

bkrusz

Thread Starter #3
Get it professionally vacuumed and then filled with A/C Dye and Freon. Then get it checked for leaks. You can do most of this yourself.....But* the vacuum part is more difficult and just easiest just left up to the professionals with the $3-5k a/c machines.
Yeah that's what I figured. Having had experience with my 93 Miata's AC, I'm all to familiar with the yellow UV dye, and the refrigerant that was in the system had to have gone somewhere.

OP
B

bkrusz

Thread Starter #4
Update:
The condenser has a hole in it. How that happened I will never know, but at least the AC pressure sensor detected it and prevented the compressor from turning on so it didn't nuke itself along with it.

irontmp

U.S. Army Veteran
I replaced the AC compressor relay, and it clicks when the car is turned on and off, however, it doesn't click when the AC button in the center control stack is pressed, and the compressor never turns on Mobile Truck Repair Services in Margate. The other AC related fuses are fine as well.
So about 3-4 years ago, I started noticing the AC wasn't cooling as well as it should. I put a can of refrigerant in to finish the summer out and that seemed to last until midway through the following summer. I had the car into the dealership to fix something else and I asked them to find and fix the leak. When I picked the car up, I got a chance to talk to the tech about it and he said he could not find a leak anywhere. He then went on to say that it was likely in the evaporator under the dash and it was a huge job to repair or replace that. At the time I think he was quoting $1,200 for the evaporator and $800+ for the labor. So he recharged it instead and said I should be good for a while. Here I am again sweating bullets- any advice on which route to go? I'm inclined to get it fixed since parts aren't getting any easier to find these days, but I'm also wondering if a recharge can with the stop leak in it might be just fine. I'm not usually a fan of stop-leak-like products, but I've been wrong before.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
So about 3-4 years ago, I started noticing the AC wasn't cooling as well as it should. I put a can of refrigerant in to finish the summer out and that seemed to last until midway through the following summer. I had the car into the dealership to fix something else and I asked them to find and fix the leak. When I picked the car up, I got a chance to talk to the tech about it and he said he could not find a leak anywhere. He then went on to say that it was likely in the evaporator under the dash and it was a huge job to repair or replace that. At the time I think he was quoting $1,200 for the evaporator and $800+ for the labor. So he recharged it instead and said I should be good for a while. Here I am again sweating bullets- any advice on which route to go? I'm inclined to get it fixed since parts aren't getting any easier to find these days, but I'm also wondering if a recharge can with the stop leak in it might be just fine. I'm not usually a fan of stop-leak-like products, but I've been wrong before.
Need to Recharge the system with FREON and UV dye. Then drive the vehicle for a couple days. Then Go over the entire System with a UV light and a pair of UV glasses to find the source of the leak.