Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

AC not working

NOVA_Ranger

U.S. Army Veteran
Noticed that the AC is not working and in attempting to check the fuses, I’m not so sure that I’m tracking the diagrams I found online.
Found the 10a, which is the compressor clutch, but where I expected to find the 60a fuse it is empty, with one metal leg there instead of two.

Pic below and as a bonus, which is the fuse for the high speed fan?

Attachments

OP
NOVA_Ranger

NOVA_Ranger

U.S. Army Veteran
Thread Starter #2
A little more context. While calling for AC on the control, no fan (at radiator) running, the AC compressor clutch does not engage, and of course...no cold air from the vents. I have not checked to see if the system is charged/full (no gauge on hand), but I'm assuming the fan should still come on. No high coolant temp issues while driving, even in stop and go traffic.

OP
NOVA_Ranger

NOVA_Ranger

U.S. Army Veteran
Thread Starter #3
After some research and more looking, I plan to replace the radiator fan relay and see if that gets the fan operating again. If not, I guess I'll swap out the radiator fan assembly since that looks to be the easiest approach to replacing the controller attached to it. I'm assuming that the fan is what is preventing the AC compressor from kicking on (fuses for both look alright). Wish me luck, haha.

dhminer

2000 Post Club
After some research and more looking, I plan to replace the radiator fan relay and see if that gets the fan operating again. If not, I guess I'll swap out the radiator fan assembly since that looks to be the easiest approach to replacing the controller attached to it. I'm assuming that the fan is what is preventing the AC compressor from kicking on (fuses for both look alright). Wish me luck, haha.
Good luck! Let us know what you discover.

Before shooting the parts canon and wasting time/money, I'd diagnose a lot more. You don't even know if the command for AC is sent to the HVAC control module/IPC or the PCM. The fact that your compressor clutch is not kicking on should be a problem to be solved way before the fan not engaging.

1680638883782.png

OP
NOVA_Ranger

NOVA_Ranger

U.S. Army Veteran
Thread Starter #6
Before shooting the parts canon and wasting time/money, I'd diagnose a lot more. You don't even know if the command for AC is sent to the HVAC control module/IPC or the PCM. The fact that your compressor clutch is not kicking on should be a problem to be solved way before the fan not engaging.

View attachment 54855
Thanks. The gist of what I've read so far suggests that no fan = no AC, whether the fan is down due to a fuse/relay or the controller on the shroud gave up. The car only has 36k on the clock, so I'm surprised there is a problem at all. If the $10 relay does the trick, I'll consider it a win.

If you check my previous post, the requirements for the AC to kick in does not mention anything about the radiator fan. And I keep checking the diagnosing procedure and nothing there either:
Also, there's only 1 fan on the car. So if your fan is working when the car is up to temp, its relay can't be the problem

1680646510759.png
1680646543693.png
1680646590490.png
1680646633530.png
1680646745876.png
1680646790637.png
1680646815238.png

1680646837255.png

Last edited:

haste

1000 Post Club
Definitely check the compressor "field coil"(clutch) as mentioned by the diagnostics. Super easy to check with a multimeter. You could also check the voltage supply on the harness side connector for the compressor. Have someone turn the A/C on while checking the voltage supply to the compressor.

OP
NOVA_Ranger

NOVA_Ranger

U.S. Army Veteran
Thread Starter #9
Much appreciated guys and I'll post updates as I dig into it. Supposed to be 85 here, so rolling the Ranger for now. I'm going to drive the Fiesta sparingly until I get the fan and AC working properly, especially if it is hot outside.

OP
NOVA_Ranger

NOVA_Ranger

U.S. Army Veteran
Thread Starter #10
I had a chance to take a closer look today and it appears to be the controller on the radiator fan assembly. Power to the controller, no fan, no power heading beyond that to the AC compressor. AC system was a touch low, but not bad, so I topped that off with an ounce or two. Ordering a new fan assembly today and I'll toss that in when it gets here. Thanks again for all the feedback and wish me luck. ;)

OP
NOVA_Ranger

NOVA_Ranger

U.S. Army Veteran
Thread Starter #11
Mystery solved and everything is working again. The knuckleheads who replaced the blend door actuator, when I bought the car, must have unhooked the evap temp sensor and never reconnected it. Either that, or it just got disconnected some other way. Good to go now though. Thanks for all the info, it was helpful!