Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Accidental auction win: 2019 Fiesta ST with 10k miles

This may sound crazy, but I’m an auction watcher and addicted to cars. I love them. I was recently on a police auction site here in CO looking at buying a bbq grill, when I saw a 2019 Fiesta ST with 12 hours left to go sitting at $1950. I couldn’t resist and placed a $2500 max bid thinking it would sell for way more. Fast forward a week later when to my surprise I get a call that I won the car for $2350 (Plus auction fees). Did I mention I’m just some dude who loves cars and has only some mechanical knowledge? Gulp. My first thought: yes!! My second thought: my wife is going to kill me. Then I realized I knew nothing about this car’s history except it was a salvage title.
With a stress headache from worrying about what I’d gotten myself into, I drove down to load it on a trailer and assess its future (and mine if it turned into a dud). I arrived at the site, collected the keys, and saw the car for the first time. It’s AWESOME! Looks pretty cool. I think: it won’t start. Boom! Fires right up. I think: it won’t drive. Bam! I drive it right onto the trailer. I get her home and as I’m driving it into my shop, the clutch is slipping, but I get her in. I’m thinking the clutch is fried and the dash is lit up like a Christmas tree. I do some sleuthing on Google and find it’s been through 2 auctions previously and someone just “fixed” it to flip it and somehow lost the car to the police auction.
So, the plan for the car is to build it back to pass inspection and get the title done. Next step is to build a fun track monster that me and my 3 boys will drive it like we stole it (cause I’m feeling like we did at under $2400!).
I removed the front bumper cover, which is why fix is in quotes above, to find a menagerie of really questionable things… the crash bar has been chopped up and then tac welded with 2 spots to hold it together. The mounting bracket is still bent over. The frame is straight though! They used scraps of plastic bits to hold the intercooler in place (only on 1 side) and there is more variety of screws in this thing than one can find at Lowe’s! I have a list of parts for the front…
I then moved to the rear bumper cover. This was a struggle until I realized they used dry wall screws to hold it together! Yup. Dry wall screws right through the cover and into the plastic bracket, then bondo over the head, and a crummy paint job to cover it all up. The back is a bit hammered and I see only 2 nuts holding on the rear crash bar. Good grief. The had every screw known to man for the front and no nuts for the back - insert jokes here. I now have a list of parts for the back.
Last thing I did was remove the tires… 4 stripped lug nuts, 4 different kinds to include 2 different security lugs placed on the rear passenger tire, and one used for trucks. Wow, y’all, I’m going make sure and uninstall those coilovers and make sure its done right. I have no faith in these folks who tried to flip this car!
Enjoy the pictures while we wait for parts to get here!

Attachments

RubenZZZ

1000 Post Club
Has an SE Fiesta bumper cover and i like it!

They Mickey moused the body work for a quick flip. The mechanicals might be okay. Check the oil/ coolant and trans fluid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
I paid twice as much for my totalled 2014 with 47k miles. You definitely got a steal. There are a few of us here that have done exactly what you are doing.

OP
D
Thread Starter #8
Has an SE Fiesta bumper cover and i like it!

They Mickey moused the body work for a quick flip. The mechanicals might be okay. Check the oil/ coolant and trans fluid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks! I’m planning on a full fluid service. I’m hoping the transmission is Ok, but if not I still feel like I’m ahead!

OP
D
Thread Starter #9
I paid twice as much for my totalled 2014 with 47k miles. You definitely got a steal. There are a few of us here that have done exactly what you are doing.
Awesome. I may need some help, but so far everything looks pretty straightforward. I’ll be asking for help, I’m sure!

Old Mike Emerson

U.S. Navy Veteran
You got a steal my man, all the stock parts are available from Ford or online for cheaper prices. You have several choices for front and rear crash bars. I don't know your state inspection laws.

OP
D
Thread Starter #11
You got a steal my man, all the stock parts are available from Ford or online for cheaper prices. You have several choices for front and rear crash bars. I don't know your state inspection laws.
Yeah, I found a guy on here, Justin Price and I got everything I needed for $900. I’m just waiting on parts now. Fingers crossed on the clutch.

Old Mike Emerson

U.S. Navy Veteran
Yeah, I found a guy on here, Justin Price and I got everything I needed for $900. I’m just waiting on parts now. Fingers crossed on the clutch.
That's great, if you need any help mounting parts or tracing wiring I have dealer manuals on CD, and the shop Electrical manual. I can copy pages for you.

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
That's great, if you need any help mounting parts or tracing wiring I have dealer manuals on CD, and the shop Electrical manual. I can copy pages for you.
How can I get a copy of that stuff? I have access to a high speed scanner and can likely create a digital version to share.

OP
D
Thread Starter #18
Had a few minutes to work on the Fiesta ST. Got the front crash bar painted black and bent the bracket into almost perfect position. Really amazed at what couple of hours work, torch, and massive pry bar accomplished!

Here are some images of the completely unsafe fix the previous people did and the new/used crash bar installed.
1A18D1D7-994C-4C2C-B7A4-4CD8643CFD1A.jpeg BFDAF926-5AD3-449A-9641-EF1418F1A635.jpeg 0D4150C9-FEB7-4369-80CC-FD305E0B7BAA.jpeg 8C82BE54-B32F-4B82-BADB-D6A9EB41AFB1.jpeg EC6CA43A-A9C0-49D9-A6A6-561630047D08.jpeg 4A3449E3-FCDF-44D0-9127-5C2DC6B56CDC.jpeg