Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

aftermarket springs...Effect factory handling performance ?

I am looking to lower my car and improve the overall ride,without effecting the handling characteristics of the car in a negative way.what has been your experience with your springs...spring/sway bar combo's ? What's your setup ? how did your car handle afterwards, how did the ride improve ?

Chris G

I've got Mountune springs sitting in my garage. Heard nothing but amazing things about them.

caliboy15

I might get Mountune springs and maybe pair it with aftermarket shocks later on

i have had the eibach pro kit installed on my 2015 fist. i was skeptical to put these on because the car handles so well already. as soon as i got them i fell in love. the car feels tighter in the handling, the car sits slightly lower but not too low, and looks better. i havent noticed any difference in ride quality other than i do feel the bumps in the road a little more but i am also using the summer only tires. overall im very happy with these springs. im sure coilovers are nice, especially when on the track but are expensive for a daily driver like mine imo. i am considering sway bars, and other braces but want to hear what others have to say about the ride quality after the fact. hope this helps

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
Mountune on mine and I am very happy with them!

[video=youtube;G_2QBpa_L4s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_2QBpa_L4s[/video]

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Mountune on mine and I am very happy with them!

[video=youtube;G_2QBpa_L4s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_2QBpa_L4s[/video]
Has the ride changed since you filmed? And how long(distance) had the factory been on? I seem to feel that my ride soften after 6000km (3700mi) on factory springs.

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
Probably 5000 miles on the Mountune springs so far, and I don't think they have changed much. If they have, I haven't noticed it. Sometimes just getting used to the springs makes a difference. I had the factory springs on for 7000 miles.

Back when I had the Fiesta Movement ST, the car felt crazy stiff compared to my 2011 Fiesta with the FRPP suspension kit. I would drive my 2011 for a month while my brother had the ST and then I would take the ST for a month. Those first few days the ST felt very stiff. I got used to it and then I would get back in my 2011 and it felt like a mid-70's Cadillac. I can't imagine how soft a stock Fiesta must feel in comparison!

OP
P
Thread Starter #8
Has the mountune springs given you a rougher ride or have they given you a smoother ride? What would be the advantage with after market shocks. What brands are you guys running ?

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
well, the spring rate is increased by 5%, so the ride is stiffer. I found the rear of the car is more planted and is less likely to fee like it wants to bounce over bumps. The stiffer ride means more harsh impacts over potholes and expansion joints. Aftermarket shocks, assuming you are looking at ones that offer better damping than stock, would be better control of the spring. I find the stock dampers to be perfectly matched to the mountune springs. The ST is over damped from the factory and most aftermarket springs are too stiff and quickly overpower the stock components. For the mountune springs, I would not change dampers. I don't know what to use for other springs as it is a fine balance to get the spring rate and dampers correct. I have been installing springs on cars for the past 20 years and the mountune/stock damper combo is one of the best I have ever found. It usually takes a number of attempts with different springs and dampers to find what works best.

KKaWing

Eibach does do custom orders with different rates. Racecomp Engineering usually has the biggest difference in terms of rates to the Eibach applications.

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
Yes, just as KKaWing stated. Eibach makes the springs, but makes them to whatever rate and height the customer asks for. It isn't just rebranding the Eibach springs as Cobb or Mountune. There is a really good list someplace that lists the rates and heights for all the different springs.