Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Air Bag Light

Has anyone run into having the airbag gauge cluster light come on? What was your fix? I tested all the sensor connections on the passenger side, next is the driver.

Last edited:

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Do you have a code reader with the ABS/SRS program?

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Intuit

3000 Post Club
My last Ford the airbag light started blinking out a code while traveling on the highway between two cities on a near-zero degree Fahrenheit night. They stuck the airbag diagnostic module underneath the heater core and the thermal fuse failed. 🤦‍♂️ To add insult to injury, the fuse they chose had a wax type design that had a finite liftetime; would eventually fail whether or not ambient thermal conditions hit trigger spec. The TCO fuse was internal and supposedly non-serviceable. They wanted you to buy an entire $$$ module just because the fuse expired. 🙄

OP
HAHAFiST
Thread Starter #6
Do you have a code reader with the ABS/SRS program?

No I just have basic obd reader for dash command along with the AP. Would need a proper tool, might be cheaper for dealership to sort at this pinky but I’m gonna check all possible wire connections first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
No I just have basic obd reader for dash command along with the AP. Would need a proper tool, might be cheaper for dealership to sort at this pinky but I’m gonna check all possible wire connections first.

The Code reader can be had for under $100* Airbag stuff is usually a crash sensor or clockspring most of the time. Read code....get part....install part and the SRS light will go out. It's the only right way to do this repair and get the light to go out.

OP
HAHAFiST
Thread Starter #10
Once you figure out what it is, I've got all the parts...
UPDATE: I paid the $225 to have Ford diagnose the problem. The front passenger pre-tensioner and belt assembly are the issues... from what I see that job is super simple..... but Ford wants $850, and the parts only cost about $355 new...so Ford is WAYY overcharging on labor...

I have to admit, for the most part these cars will just keep running, engine and drivetrain are pretty stout (Minus the gear synchros).... everything else... you get what you pay for in a $20K economy car.

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
UPDATE: I paid the $225 to have Ford diagnose the problem. The front passenger pre-tensioner and belt assembly are the issues... from what I see that job is super simple..... but Ford wants $850, and the parts only cost about $355 new...so Ford is WAYY overcharging on labor...

I have to admit, for the most part these cars will just keep running, engine and drivetrain are pretty stout (Minus the gear synchros).... everything else... you get what you pay for in a $20K economy car.
I have a passenger side seat belt assembly if interested.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Yeah, just like the just sold, and taken over by a big 'group' local dealer (Ditschman -> Ciocca) wanted over $250.00 PER AXLE just for labor to change out the 4 brake line hoses from the hard lines to the calipers, without even doing the then requisite fluid flush/bleeding process, which they then wanted an additional $200.00 to do. [ohcrap]

That is what, like 8 wrench applications/turnings to do, and maybe a half hours work including wheels off and back on, taking their time?!?!?
IN-EFFING-SANE!! [crazyeye]

OP
HAHAFiST
Thread Starter #15
I was going to ask if you store items on the passenger seat - some weight will set the air bag de-activation light.
This is not that light, it is the airbag error light in the gauge cluster.

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
Including the airbag sensor unit? Got a photo? Why was it removed?

It's complete so I'm not sure what portion is the airbag sensor but it should be there. It was removed because I was going cage/harness but have since sold the chassis.

rallytaff

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Ford labour charges now are about $180 an hour, but at least I get the work warranted. I trust them more than I trust myself!

OP
HAHAFiST
Thread Starter #18
It's complete so I'm not sure what portion is the airbag sensor but it should be there. It was removed because I was going cage/harness but have since sold the chassis.
I’ll DM you.

cvvaan23

Hello! I had a similar experience with the airbag light in my Ford Fiesta, and I struggled to identify the underlying problem. However, I came across an informative article titled "Ford Airbag Light On" on the YOUCANIC website, which proved to be incredibly helpful. After reading the article, I started investigating other potential causes for the airbag light issue. Eventually, I realized that a faulty clock spring could be responsible, especially since I also noticed issues with my steering wheel buttons and horn. This realization led me to replace the clock spring. I highly recommend reading the airbag article on the YOUCANIC site, as it may provide valuable insights for your situation as well.

OP
HAHAFiST
Thread Starter #20
My issue was due to a faulty tension sensor in the passenger side seatbelt tensioner assy. I paid ford to diag it with a scantool since I didn't have one and I didn't wanna hassle trying to source it really. All is back to normal now. I swapped the belt with a used from from a fellow on this forum.