Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Airbag light, hazards, horn honking, no power and 911 call

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I need to find a RallyX guy. Their cars make far more abrupt changes in direction than mine does.
Yes, it would have to be an SCCA Rallycross competitor, who still drives their car on the streets, since actual ARA Performance Rally stage rallyists are REQUIRED to get rid of the SRS systems, and 99.999% of them have an aftermarket racing steering wheel, and competition shell seats installed, along with all of the other requisite safety equipment. [wink]

I think it’s the combination of high G left to extremely quick high G right that’s causing the sensor to freak. The RT660 has far more grip than any other tire I’ve run. Imagine going left at 115mph for 5 seconds then very quickly turning right (over a bump) while proceeding to WOT. Ford thinks that’s dangerous.

I didn’t need to pay a Ford dealer to reset my ECU lol. The AP can reset it. The warning lights are off and the system is active without problems. I doubt it has anything to do with the location of my front sensors but for shits and giggles I’m going to compare the location with a stock Fiesta ST.

I’m guessing others just pull the 10AMP #20 airbag fuse and hammer down. That’s going to be my solution for that track unless someone has a better idea. I need to find a RallyX guy. Their cars make far more abrupt changes in direction than mine does.
Not the ecu. The srs module. Modern cars have multiple modules now and the srs might require manufacturer specific software to reset which would require you to bring it to a dealer. But if you were able to reset it with the ap then I guess that works.

Last edited:
OP
Woods247

Woods247

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #24
Yes, it would have to be an SCCA Rallycross competitor, who still drives their car on the streets, since actual ARA Performance Rally stage rallyists are REQUIRED to get rid of the SRS systems, and 99.999% of them have an aftermarket racing steering wheel, and competition shell seats installed, along with all of the other requisite safety equipment. [wink]
Gotcha. So most of those guys delete the SRS systems anyways per rules? Makes since. I can't imagine driving the Fiesta off-road with airbags enabled. It also makes since for me to delete mine but I still drive on the street occasionally and I want the safety there. I would love to have an aftermarket steering wheel but I don't want to lose the luxury of the buttons. Maybe I could relocate them.. Do you have an aftermarket steering wheel?

I just reviewed video of the second time the system activated and there was nothing extraordinary. I need to see if I can pull G force data from Track Addict. I rarely record myself so figuring out this program might take longer than I care to allocate this evening ha!

Erick_V

I would love to have an aftermarket steering wheel but I don't want to lose the luxury of the buttons. Maybe I could relocate them..
I would love something similar to what Z owners do. It's literally just a plate that's bolted to the column, I would be able to live without the radio controls but not cruise control. I haven't thought about a steering wheel for the same reasons. Also, your original post would be a great tire rack review lol

https://www.dndperformanceinterior....3&utm_source=google&utm_medium=smart_campaign

download.jpg

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Gotcha. So most of those guys delete the SRS systems anyways per rules? Makes since. I can't imagine driving the Fiesta off-road with airbags enabled. It also makes since for me to delete mine but I still drive on the street occasionally and I want the safety there. I would love to have an aftermarket steering wheel but I don't want to lose the luxury of the buttons. Maybe I could relocate them.. Do you have an aftermarket steering wheel?
The actual stage rally (high speed, all out, multiple different point to point stages with full safety equipment, NO CONES except for some 'chicanes' put on the long straights to keep their speeds below 125 MPH! LOL) ARA competitors must do the SRS delete per general competition rules (just like SCCA wheel to wheel road race classes do, and I'm guessing their top Time Trial classes as well?).

You would have to ask the SCCA Rallycrossers on here whether or not they, or most of the competitors in them do this on their own.
Some of the fully prepped/safety equipment laden, ARA cars do show up at the SCCA Rallycross events, and run in the top classes there for 'shits and giggles', or to try and stay sharp in between the few regional/national ARA events.

I do not have an aftermarket steering wheel, or seats, but I do want them in the future.
Right now, I ONLY drive the car on the street, but if it were not for the insurance companies either; denying any medical claims at all without airbags, or charging me insane rates if I tell them I don't have them up front, or them denying me any coverage whatsoever without airbags, I would already have an aftermarket wheel in the car, and I would take my chances on the 'safety' aspect (I ALWAYS wear the factory seat belts).
I do not care one bit about the OEM steering wheel buttons since I NEVER use cruise control (haven't used it even once since buying the car 4 years ago!), and I don't use the sound system controls there either.

The same goes for aftermarket seats, which I REALLY want since I cannot stand the Recaros (why I specifically ordered the car without them!), and don't mind the base seats, except I do want something which holds me in place better than those do (and yeah, I will admit it, for the 'look' as well [wink]).

kevinatfms

I have gone through the Carousel(Karussel?) at Shenandoah Circuit at Summit Point over 100 times and have never heard of this. Its a 20 degree banking with a jump at the end which i usually take nearly flat out. Im wondering if you have terminal fretting on one of the connectors up front or at the accelerometer. It wouldnt be the first time a connector gets loose from not being properly secured(on an aftermarket piece).

kevinatfms

I do not have an aftermarket steering wheel, or seats, but I do want them in the future.
Right now, I ONLY drive the car on the street, but if it were not for the insurance companies either; denying any medical claims at all without airbags, or charging me insane rates if I tell them I don't have them up front, or them denying me any coverage whatsoever without airbags, I would already have an aftermarket wheel in the car, and I would take my chances on the 'safety' aspect (I ALWAYS wear the factory seat belts).
I do not care one bit about the OEM steering wheel buttons since I NEVER use cruise control (haven't used it even once since buying the car 4 years ago!), and I don't use the sound system controls there either.

The same goes for aftermarket seats, which I REALLY want since I cannot stand the Recaros (why I specifically ordered the car without them!), and don't mind the base seats, except I do want something which holds me in place better than those do (and yeah, I will admit it, for the 'look' as well [wink]).
PM me, ill send you photos of my base seats which were modified to have more bolstering but without the Recaro "pinch". The work great and still keep everything factory. Local company called Rankin Auto Upholstery here in Maryland got OE fabric and medium/hard dual density foam padding which they professionally added to the stock base seats. I have just the driver side done(since no one really rides with me) and its a night/day difference from the factory seat. More "hold" than the OE seat and more comfortable than the Recaro seats.

I coupled all that with a CG Lock and the car is near perfect on track days.

OP
Woods247

Woods247

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #29
I have gone through the Carousel(Karussel?) at Shenandoah Circuit at Summit Point over 100 times and have never heard of this. Its a 20 degree banking with a jump at the end which i usually take nearly flat out. Im wondering if you have terminal fretting on one of the connectors up front or at the accelerometer. It wouldnt be the first time a connector gets loose from not being properly secured(on an aftermarket piece).
Randy explains turns 15/16 at around 2:50. I’m at 100mph and track all the way out in 14. Not sure how it compares to the track you’re familiar with. This track is my second home. I’ve been running it for 7 years with different cars and haven’t had this happen. I’m going to pull the fuse from now on to just kill all of it. Here’s Randy’s vid of AMP:

View: https://youtu.be/OoM_72-qlJ8

Last edited:

kevinatfms

[/QUOTE]
Randy explains turns 15/16 at around 2:50. I’m at 100mph and track all the way out in 14. Not sure how it compares to the track you’re familiar with. This track is my second home. I’ve been running it for 7 years with different cars and haven’t had this happen. I’m going to pull the fuse from now on to just kill all of it. Here’s Randy’s vid of AMP:

Shenandoah’s carousel is a bit more intense for the car versus the driver. Here is me flat out through the turn going reverse.

Enter around the 30 second mark
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErG9SKIa8zA

So, im thinking you definitely have a problem somewhere that isnt linked to that corner. It has to be something loose causing the car to freak out.

Last edited:
OP
Woods247

Woods247

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #32
Yea totally different corners. AMPs is a lot longer and off camber, but not nearly as rough. I'm going to check all my connections just to be sure they are ok.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Some Crash sensors are equipped with the ability to detect a roll over situation* Also the sensor also may be located inside the ECM ! FYI.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Anecdotal. But on the old svtf the seat airbags were sensitive enough hitting a big pothole could and had set them off on a few cars.

I could see the sudden change in G force freaking out the accelerometer in the car and sending a false "weve crashed" signal.

OP
Woods247

Woods247

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #35
Anecdotal. But on the old svtf the seat airbags were sensitive enough hitting a big pothole could and had set them off on a few cars.

I could see the sudden change in G force freaking out the accelerometer in the car and sending a false "weve crashed" signal.
I’ll be replacing the OEM seat soon and will use a resistor to trick the airbag sensor. I’ll leave everything else as it is and see if that’s what might be causing it.

OP
Woods247

Woods247

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #36
Did it again at Barber yesterday SMH. Something is up with my car. I’m clueless at this point. I’m going to take it to a buddy with a SnapOn scanner to see if he can pull additional info the Cobb AP can’t. Ford is backed up.

I thought it might be battery related but my voltage meter reads 12.84v at the battery. With the ignition on (car not running) the AP displays Battery Voltage as 10v while the meter at the battery still reads 12.8v. I’m not sure why there’s a discrepancy between the two or if it’s even an issue, but it’s odd. The alternator is fine. I can hammer the car on the street without issues but it won’t track without thinking I crashed. I need to pull more info from the ECU to find out what’s triggering the false positive. My guess is it’s the Yaw sensor under the console or a crash sensor on my IC. Why it’s just now giving me trouble makes no since...

Last edited:

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Its possible that it was a grounding issue as well, especially seeing how a meter and the accessport did not agree on voltage. You may be able to go back to the old battery if you stripped the battery/firewall ground point of paint and rebolted.

OP
Woods247

Woods247

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #39
Its possible that it was a grounding issue as well, especially seeing how a meter and the accessport did not agree on voltage. You may be able to go back to the old battery if you stripped the battery/firewall ground point of paint and rebolted.
A new battery fixed the problem I was having. Ford made the ground so I suspect it’s correct but who knows.

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
A new battery fixed the problem I was having. Ford made the ground so I suspect it’s correct but who knows.
My son has a 17 that he just picked up used. It had odd audio popping/crackling when the music was turned up to even normal listening levels. Cleaning the aforementioned grounding location fixed this. I have heard of other similar electrical gremlins that are solved on this car by redoing the battery ground. Something to try anyways if you want to try the lighter battery again.