Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Alternator Replacement and Catalytic Convertor Replacement Option

ArronB

Active Military
Good day all,

I have a couple of questions regarding my 2015 ST 1.6 SGDI............

1) I need to replace the alternator. I've seen conflicting info regarding access to the serpentine belt tensioner. In some threads, guys say you need to remove the motor mount on the right side along with the rad overflow and some other bits. Other threads say all you have to do is remove the right side headlight and can access the tensioner from there. Can anyone tell me definitively what I need to do to slacken the serpentine belt to allow me to replace the alternator?

2) The catalytic convertor is shot, and Ford wants $2200 for a new one. I was looking at catted downpipes, and Mishimoto makes one for $785. Does anyone know if anything else is required. Does it require tuning to deal with the increased air flow? Are there any other considerations?

Thanks for the help,

Arron

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
1) Easier to remove the mount/overflow. You could do it with it in place but it's just more challenging.

2) Buy a used stock one or Whoosh catted. No tuning needed but buy new gaskets and possibly a Vibrant J-spacer for the o2 sensor.

FiestaSTdude

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I'm going to second jabbit. Pull off the coolant reservoir and motor mount. I just did my tensioner pulley last week and having that mount out will make it

Most of the "performance" cats for these cars are NOT legally Catalytic Converters. Specifically they are not emissions legal and in the view of the government you may as well be running a straight pipe.

The problems are twofold. First is the second O2 sensor behind the Cat, that will generate a code. Most of the performance cats have historically dodged this issue with a Tune that truned off that code. Now some are spoofing that sensor electronically, I have the impression the correct resistor will do this. The problem with either approach is that they will fail a visual inspection of the emissions system. The second is that if it doesn't carry an emissions certification in the eyes of the government it's not legal.

BTW, in the USA ALL Emissions related components must be warranted for a minimum of 80,000 miles and 8 years. Originally it was 100,000 miles and 10 years but the automakers managed to bribe the right people and got it reduced. You will want to look up what Canada mandates and see if your car still qualifies for the emissions warranty for Canada.

Suggestions. First you may want to look and see if you can find an aftermarket REPLACEMENT Catalytic Converter that has the proper emissions certs. Ford is very fond of their repair parts and an aftermarket replacement may cost 1/2 what the Ford part costs. I would suggest that you look for replacement Cat's for the Ford Ecoboost Escape. As I understand it that engine is a duplicate of ours with a milder Tune. The big plus for the Escape is that it was a relatively high volume SUV that might provide enough sales volume to get the aftermarket interested. BTW, I am assuming that Ford went cheap and used the same Catalytic Converter on both vehicles. If anyone reading this knows different please speak up.