Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Does this sound like bad alternator ?

Was driving when the car just shut off completely, no dash lights no nothing, popped the hood and the positive battery terminal somehow came loose, put it back in and went to work. After it started just fine, was driving home when the accessport said it’s gonna shut off cause the voltage was too low. Got home battery light came on and the headlights started dimming car would not start and would just crank slowly then click. Got a new battery under warranty and started right up. Battery light will come on at idle but as soon as I rev it it will go away. Voltage on accesport was at 14.85 and slowly dropping. 1 hour it was at 14.70. Car off voltage read 10.60.. it read that with the old battery too. I scanned the car and it read P065C Generator Mechanical Performance. Is it possible I took out the alternator cause the positive terminal was loose? Car has 62K

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Was driving when the car just shut off completely, no dash lights no nothing, popped the hood and the positive battery terminal somehow came loose, put it back in and went to work. After it started just fine, was driving home when the accessport said it’s gonna shut off cause the voltage was too low. Got home battery light came on and the headlights started dimming car would not start and would just crank slowly then click. Got a new battery under warranty and started right up. Battery light will come on at idle but as soon as I rev it it will go away. Voltage on accesport was at 14.85 and slowly dropping. 1 hour it was at 14.70. Car off voltage read 10.60.. it read that with the old battery too. I scanned the car and it read P065C Generator Mechanical Performance. Is it possible I took out the alternator cause the positive terminal was loose? Car has 62K
Yeap....if the battery light came on the diodes...regulator most likely took the big dirt nap. Big misconception that the battery light means battery Is bad. But instead it indicates a charging system failure. Time to find out if the Alt. Can be bench tested. If it can that will give you the Failure point. Just about any parts store will do this for free. I would stick with a Factory Alt. Also from Tasca...Rockauto....all around $200 OEM. Good luck

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

CarGuy

1000 Post Club
Yeap....if the battery light came on the diodes...regulator most likely took the big dirt nap. Big misconception that the battery light means battery Is bad. But instead it indicates a charging system failure. Time to find out if the Alt. Can be bench tested. If it can that will give you the Failure point. Just about any parts store will do this for free. I would stick with a Factory Alt. Also from Tasca...Rockauto....all around $200 OEM. Good luck

It sounds exactly like this. AutoZone offers a free battery/starter/alternator test that can be done in like 5 minutes. Nothing needs to be removed from the car to do this except the red battery terminal cover.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Negi

My 19 started doing this the last few days.Had to jump it Monday morning before work and after work.Yesterday morning had to jump again but in the evening it started by itself.Only has 19500 miles on it and the Battery was replaced last yr.Dropping it off Tomorrow as it did the famous stuttering and stall on me last Saturday.

OP
Ludeem1
Thread Starter #5
I ended up swapping the alternator, I got an oem one on rock auto, came in 1 day. No more battery light. Install was fairly easy. Got a new belt while I was at it. But electrical issues on these cars are nothing I’ve ever seen lol

CarGuy

1000 Post Club
just got a call from the dealership,they couldn’t find anything wrong with my Car.Smfh.
Leave it overnight or a few days so that they can continue to test it. Intermittent issues are the worst to diagnose and take time. If it doesn't fail when they have it they can't diagnose it.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
My 19 started doing this the last few days.Had to jump it Monday morning before work and after work.Yesterday morning had to jump again but in the evening it started by itself.Only has 19500 miles on it and the Battery was replaced last yr.Dropping it off Tomorrow as it did the famous stuttering and stall on me last Saturday.
The battery could be shit again.... I.'ve seen them last less than a month before or sometimes entire pallets of batteries that weren't manufactured correctly and sent back and that was from a major Vendor also.

The battery could be shit again.... I.'ve seen them last less than a month before or sometimes entire pallets of batteries that weren't manufactured correctly and sent back and that was from a major Vendor also.

My brother just had 15 batteries delivered to the Subaru dealership he works at. Fourteen of them were dead on arrival and had to be sent back.