Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Another Prediction: FiST as Future Classic

This time from thedrive.com. Unlike other articles, this one only lists four cars: the Civic Type R, Acura NSX, Lexus LC 500, and our very own Fiesta ST.
https://www.thedrive.com/news/37334/what-current-car-is-guaranteed-to-be-a-future-classic

We've all seen these articles before, but it's curious that thedrive only lists four. Surprisingly, I think I actually agree with their other three choices, yet I'm still not sure I'm convinced about the FiST. Anyone agree/disagree that the FiST might actually be collectable in 20 years? What non-exotic cars would you include on the list?

The article makes an interesting statement that the FiST will be collectable but likely won't appreciate in value. I suppose I could see this happening. The 2014's are 7 years old now, and the new ones (2019's) are long gone. There aren't many around (at least not in MN), and many seem to be gaining mileage quickly. This could mean that in a decade lower mileage examples might be quite rare. Enthusiasts would still be interested in them, while high mileage cars might be sought after by track rats (like older Miatas and BMWs). It's all guesswork at this point, and I think it's probably too early to tell. I am a fanboy though, and I do love my FiST. I'd love it to continue to get some recognition as time goes on.

As for other cars to add to the list, I'd go with a CTS-V manual wagon and the voodoo engine mustangs.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Those four vehicles all have one thing in common they are very unique. Well unique for America.

What competes with any of those vehicles in America nothing.

The LC 500 is a dream car an absolutely amazing piece of engineering with an exhaust note to die for.

The NSX a reliable hybrid supercar.

The Civic type r the most powerful front-wheel drive vehicle in production.

The Fiesta ST a true enthusiast hatchback that the average person can afford without going into bankruptcy. No car is more fun for the money.

Collectibles maybe. Will they live on in our memories absolutely.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Business6

I really don't see this car gaining value, being a collector's car or anything of the sort.

Will it be appreciated more than it is now? Yeah, probably, but that is a very far cry from being a sought after item.

What lists like this never take into account is the world 20 years from now. So few people are going to give a shit about internal combustion engines by 2035 as manufacturers phase them out and states mandate "clean" cars that it won't matter in the slightest if the FiST tops every one of these lists.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
I really don't see this car gaining value, being a collector's car or anything of the sort.

Will it be appreciated more than it is now? Yeah, probably, but that is a very far cry from being a sought after item.

What lists like this never take into account is the world 20 years from now. So few people are going to give a shit about internal combustion engines by 2035 as manufacturers phase them out and states mandate "clean" cars that it won't matter in the slightest if the FiST tops every one of these lists.
Tell you what I will put some money down on that. I will PayPal you $500 in 2035 if you're right. I bet by 2035 electric cars will not even be 25%, and I'm being very generous.

Yes that's right, people in 2035 will still be buying a shit ton of gas powered cars.

Last edited:
OP
RubberDucky_82
Thread Starter #7
Interesting points, Business6. I was also trying to envision what the world might be like in 20 years. All one needs to maintain a collectible car market is enthusiasts with money. I don't see them going away; maybe middle class collectors will shrink in numbers but definitely not upper class.

And I tend to think if clean or electric cars are the new norm, internal combustion engine cars will be even more desirable by collectors and gearheads.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Interesting points, Business6. I was also trying to envision what the world might be like in 20 years. All one needs to maintain a collectible car market is enthusiasts with money. I don't see them going away; maybe middle class collectors will shrink in numbers but definitely not upper class.

And I tend to think if clean or electric cars are the new norm, internal combustion engine cars will be even more desirable by collectors and gearheads.
100% agree.

Business6

Tell you what I will put some money down on that. I will PayPal you $500 in 2035 if you're right. I bet by 2035 electric cars will not even be 25%, and I'm being very generous.

Yes that's right, people in 2035 will still be buying a shit ton of gas powered cars.
I didn't say they wouldn't still be selling, I said no one would give a shit about them. They'll sell as a necessity but that's only so far as the federal and state governments allow. People are going to want to remove the uncertainty and complexity of an ICE-powered car, typically their biggest and least reliable expense outside of a house, for a comparatively maintenance and worry-free electric as soon as they can afford it.

Manufacturers have been and are moving towards removing ICE-only options. There's no changing this.

The only things preventing an immediate and total takeover is supply, having truck options/convincing truck owners, and the holy grail: price parity.

We're talking 15 years from now. Consider how much has changed in just the last 5 years. I do not care for electric or hybrids at all in terms of how they drive but the writing is plastered on the wall. It'll take time but manufacturers are gunning towards electric and hybrid as fast as they can.

OP
RubberDucky_82
Thread Starter #11
@Business6 Yes, but we're not just talking about the general population. You're probably right about them; they aren't going to be interested in the FiST in 20 years, just as they aren't interested in the FiST now.
Do you think auto enthusiasts will be interested in collecting cars such as ours in 20 years? Are you suggesting that tuners, track rats, gearheads, and upper-class collectors (all the same folks that are currently collecting 20-year-old cars) will no longer be interested in collecting ICE cars? If so, I'll have to respectfully disagree.

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
I think the technology will simply make the fist obsolete. Even if a CRX is an awesome hot hatch I would never consider one, which is why I have a fist which I would argue is all around better and less likely to have serious issues from 20 years of age.

Electric hot hatches can't be too far off.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Without the sound of an engine a vehicle becomes darn near pointless for me. I don't want an electric hot hatch.
What makes the LC 500 so great in the sound of the engine. The sounds are intoxicating they are like a drug.

Everybody wants to hop on the technology bandwagon not me. I don't have a smart watch, I don't have any cameras on my house, I don't want any of that stuff.

I will keep this car forever.

OP
RubberDucky_82
Thread Starter #14
I think the technology will simply make the fist obsolete. Even if a CRX is an awesome hot hatch I would never consider one, which is why I have a fist which I would argue is all around better and less likely to have serious issues from 20 years of age.

Electric hot hatches can't be too far off.
I hear ya, and this is what gives me pause, why I'm not so sure about the Fiesta predictions. And yet, here we are https://jalopnik.com/so-nice-honda-crxs-are-going-for-33-600-now-1836920736

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club

There will also come a point (and yes to all of those who will disagree, it may very well be much more than 20 years from now) where even the pig filthy rich will not be able to get fuel, or even make it themselves, so any 'collector's cars' will have to be never driven museum pieces anyway (sorry Jay Leno, et al). [:(]

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I didn't say they wouldn't still be selling, I said no one would give a shit about them. They'll sell as a necessity but that's only so far as the federal and state governments allow. People are going to want to remove the uncertainty and complexity of an ICE-powered car, typically their biggest and least reliable expense outside of a house, for a comparatively maintenance and worry-free electric as soon as they can afford it.

Manufacturers have been and are moving towards removing ICE-only options. There's no changing this.

The only things preventing an immediate and total takeover is supply, having truck options/convincing truck owners, and the holy grail: price parity.

We're talking 15 years from now. Consider how much has changed in just the last 5 years. I do not care for electric or hybrids at all in terms of how they drive but the writing is plastered on the wall. It'll take time but manufacturers are gunning towards electric and hybrid as fast as they can.
The point which I will agree with Ford ST about is the INFRASTRUCTURE/'grid' debacle, which will take some monumental buildup (and need be made 2000% hack proof from Putin's, and other despots', piece of shit minions), in order for 100% electric vehicles to flourish like so many want/demand them to.

There has to be the will for this to happen, both from the government AND private industry, in order for this to be accomplished. [wink]

Last edited:

wes

Idk about it being a classic cult car. I love mine. But are svt focus and svt contours cult cars? Or even sho Taurus? There are rare examples of low mileage cars bringing in almost sticker price(I’m assuming) but I don’t see them bringing in any real money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Without the sound of an engine a vehicle becomes darn near pointless for me. I don't want an electric hot hatch.
What makes the LC 500 so great in the sound of the engine. The sounds are intoxicating they are like a drug.

Everybody wants to hop on the technology bandwagon not me. I don't have a smart watch, I don't have any cameras on my house, I don't want any of that stuff.

I will keep this car forever.

I fully agree with you on the above, and I don't even have a smart phone, or even text/twitter/etc. on the one I do have. [wink]

This car from the factory was electric quiet to me, so I had to put an aftermarket exhaust on it (but I could not give a shit about intake/turbo/BOV noises, so that is untouched, save for the GFB DV, and ST200 airbox).

IF this car was somehow destroyed, and only an electric hot hatch was available at that time (like you've stated before, HIGHLY unlikely in my lifetime as I'm 65 now), I would get one, but would not be 'into it' at all, and would maybe throw a set of wheels on it, and use it as a point A to point B 'appliance', and that's it. [:(]

Last edited:

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Put high-torque electric motors in a manual clutch FiST sized mostly aluminum vehicle with similar styling... I'd buy it. But my main concern is infrastructure... where can I charge. It takes minutes to refuel a petrol car. If I forget to charge my phone, I can put it in battery-save mode and get through the day. I forget to charge my car, I go nowhere -or- risk getting stranded. There has to be an option for a removable auxiliary or reserve battery with an optional emergency delivery/exchange service. Paying several grand for a replacement set every ten years or less, is also a concern.

Most of the FiSTs I see have been significantly modified. The types quickly get bored with it (whatever it is) and move on. Modded vehicles don't really hold value or stick around very long. There might be some people that remember them, but few if any will know what they're talking about.

Business6

Don't get me wrong, I think California's goal is out of the realm of possibility but they're going to try for it anyway and probably have really shitty quality control as they do it (more fires?)

Ultimately the thing these threads all boil down to is the owners feeling better about their purchase. It seems like some people think it's going to be worth more than what they paid, though, which I just don't think is going to happen. Hoping a car turns into a collector's item is a completely unrealistic ownership goal.