Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Another RMM Question

Has any one compared the 14 15 and 16 stock mounts? I was wondering if the soft mout issue is something that ford addressed in the 16 models since it seems to be a major problem. I just got a new 16 last weekend and am considering getting the Cobb mout since it seems like the first necessary mod from what I've read. If it's something that ford has already fixed it wouldent make sense to spend the money though. I haven't experienced any clunking but I haven't gotten on it yet it's still under 300 miles. I'm just expecting to need it from what I've learned on this site especially since I plan to autocross.

Also has anyone gotten feedback on how dealers react to seeing the Cobb mount under the car? I wish the thing looked a little more stealth.

It has definitely not been addressed. My 16 is just as floppy as the 15 stock mount.

Chris G

I've had both a Cobb and a Mountune and my dealer has never said anything.

OP
N
Thread Starter #4
It has definitely not been addressed. My 16 is just as floppy as the 15 stock mount.
I figured as much wishful thinking on my part.

I'm thinking of filling the stock mount with 3m window weld #08609 it's a 55-60a durameter urethane costs like 25 bucks. I've used it in the past on other cars to stiffen stock mounts and it's been widely documented by others for motor mounts. Has any one done this with the FiST yet?

If not does any one have there stock mount that they would want to donate for science.

Zormecteon

\

You're the first I've know of who's used both mounts. Generally people have picked their favorite supplier and stayed with it or gone back to stock. Care to share your impressions of each comparatively?

(I've the mountune-yellow) and broken in there is no added vibration. Before it broke in there was a touch with the air conditioner pump going while at idle, but it was more sound than feeling. That's gone now after a few months.

Chris G

Yeah I had both because I was went back to stock for awhile and thought about trading in and didn't. [emoji6]

Cobb, to me, was stiffer overall. Mountune feels much more like stock although it does have some added vibration at idle without the AC on (idling around 750). With the AC on, it feels pretty normal (idling around 900ish). It's kind of odd but it does the job overall. If I had to do it all over again, I'd go Cobb and not look back.

dyn085

2000 Post Club
Do the Cobb and Mountune differ at all? I hear you get some vibes with the Cobb.
They differ, as evidenced by the post above yours. As for the vibration, all mounts are going to have some vibes initially. I've had the Cobb from almost day 1 and I don't notice vibes at all anymore. Initially there was a little bit but only with the AC on, and it broke in rather quickly.

They definitely break in. Some vibes with the air on, more so when you first turn it on and the RPMs dip. Mine shakes pretty bad for few seconds. I've also noticed the need for a tad more gas when pulling out from a stop. I used to be able to pull out with almost no throttle. I can't move the car without using throttle now or it shudders.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Boombas mount is what I'm using and it's right where I want it to be....I noticed right away after installing it that it does increase the vehicles handling somewhat. The mounts from any vendor take some time to break in also. Food for thought....

Chuckable

I have had both as well and others' opinions are spot on. The Cobb produces a bit more vibration than the Mountune, most noticeable at idle with the AC compressor engaged. I wonder if there's a correlation between satisfaction with the mounts and AC usage? In Florida I run the AC for at least 9 months out of the year or more, and am stuck in traffic a lot, so there is a lot of opportunity to focus on the vibrations.

Not to stir up another debate or railroad the thread, but Mountune say that their mount plays nice with the knock sensors, which is important if you're looking for every last bit of power.

I've just this weekend put in the small Powerflex bush in the original mount. I now have both bushes upgraded.

Vibration and noise is very minimal compared to stock. Shifter feel is improved and less wheel hop on "burnouts" as well.

It's a hassle to get the original bushes out though. Be prepared to mangle the push fitted rubber/aluminum stock bushes. They won't come out without a fight.

Also the small bush doesn't have any holes to fill with window sealant. The big one does.

dyn085

2000 Post Club
Not to stir up another debate or railroad the thread, but Mountune say that their mount plays nice with the knock sensors, which is important if you're looking for every last bit of power.
Unless something has changed, there has not ever been a single confirmed report of a RMM that caused knock. There were lots of claims in the beginning, but none that were substantiated with datalogs that weren't the result of a bad installation, broken hardware, or just a poor tune with lots of knock. After creating the false-knock thread a lot of members asked me to help them with troubleshooting their 'mount issues' and not a single one of those were mount-created either.

Not trying to derail the thread either, but those that think other mounts will somehow limit the power you can make are wrong.

Chuckable

http://fiestast.net/threads/installed-mountune-full-induction-and-short-shifter-today.1595/
See the last post on the 1st page. It can be interpreted in different ways, though. And then Mountune came out with their own mount. I think it's pretty well-known that different harmonics caused by different mounts can trigger the knock sensors, but I haven't researched the other forums to see if there is any proof. I don't really care, though; I'm running stock mounts.

dyn085

2000 Post Club
http://fiestast.net/threads/installed-mountune-full-induction-and-short-shifter-today.1595/
See the last post on the 1st page. It can be interpreted in different ways, though. And then Mountune came out with their own mount. I think it's pretty well-known that different harmonics caused by different mounts can trigger the knock sensors, but I haven't researched the other forums to see if there is any proof. I don't really care, though; I'm running stock mounts.
Exactly, now look at the date of that post and take into consideration the source. It's not well-known that aftermarket mounts can trigger knock-sensors on this platform, it's only well-rumored. What is well-known, or at least should be well-known at this stage of development, is that there is not one-single aftermarket mount that has shown any false-knock tendencies or symptoms.

What is true about false-knock regarding RMM's is that it can occur with certain mounts on the FoST. I think that fact carried over and was perpetuated by a lot of members in this community but it's never been substantiated. In the FoST community there are specific mounts that are well-known for having false-knock tendencies but no mount has ever been documented by actual members as having the issue in our community or else everyone would know what mount to be wary of...all you ever hear here are that there are 'some' supposed mounts...

As soon as I posted the troubleshooting guide the perpetuated rumour of RMM false-knock almost completely disappeared and no mount was ever confirmed to be problematic. This tells me that people figured out how to troubleshoot and located their 'real' problems. It still comes up very sporadically, as you can see, but whenever it does it's only someone citing outdated rumors that were never substantiated by the community.