Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

anyone buy extended service contract?

JSP

dealer wanted to sell me 7 yr / 85k mile extended service contract for $1699 on top of the 3 yr/36k standard. I declined but have 12k miles to decide. What's the trend on this? Does anyone buy these??thx

Is this just an extension of OEM warranty or is this the service plan that covers all general maintenance?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

me32

1000 Post Club
Depends how many miles you plan to drive a year and if you plan to mod the car. Theres pro's and con's

MKVIIST

5000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
If you plan on keeping it for a long time then go for it. I purchased it for mine and got it down to $1300 after negotiations.

OP
J

JSP

Thread Starter #5
Is this just an extension of OEM warranty or is this the service plan that covers all general maintenance?

Sent from my XT1254 [/QU
It s beyond maintenance. He kept mentioning tie rods, bearings and Michigan roads.

Sent from my XT1254 [/QU
It s beyond maintenance. He kept mentioning tie rods, bearings and Michigan roads.
Ya my dad gets that on every car he buys. The cost is usually a wash but if you're not modding the car and don't like to work on cars it's hassle free piece of mind.

Depends on your plans for mods. My warranty was gone at about 700 miles. :)

I had it 10/100,000 and took my car in for a check engine light. It was the EVAP Canaster which isn't covered under this extended warranty. This made me realize I shouldn't have paid for this stupid warranty if it doesn't cover EVERYTHING!! Maybe I am dumb and thats not how it work in the car warranty world as this is my first car Ive bought from a dealership. If they want me to pay $2,005 for this extended warranty it really must be worth it and I found with regular upkeep of the car its smarted not to pay for the warranty and self insure with extra money set aside if something does break like 1k in cash. I am on a little Dave Ramsey kick so I cancelled my warranty and got $1,079.00 back so now my car is paid off.

me32

1000 Post Club
I had it 10/100,000 and took my car in for a check engine light. It was the EVAP Canaster which isn't covered under this extended warranty. This made me realize I shouldn't have paid for this stupid warranty if it doesn't cover EVERYTHING!! Maybe I am dumb and thats not how it work in the car warranty world as this is my first car Ive bought from a dealership. If they want me to pay $2,005 for this extended warranty it really must be worth it and I found with regular upkeep of the car its smarted not to pay for the warranty and self insure with extra money set aside if something does break like 1k in cash. I am on a little Dave Ramsey kick so I cancelled my warranty and got $1,079.00 back so now my car is paid off.
Depends what plan you bought. Ford ESP has different plans at different cost. To me its pointless to get an extended warranty unless you get fords top esp coverage with 0 deductible. Otherwise there basically just making free money off you. The factory warranty covers your 3yr/36k bumper to bumper, then 5yr/60k power train, and in some states where the law requires you get up to 8yr/80k on emission components.

Always negotiate. If you plan to keep the car they are a good investment. Be careful as some are better then others. Nothing is a bumper to bumper so if they say that don't listen and ask for a list of covered parts. Ford ESP plan are very good but if you mod the vehicle this may hurt you as they ask for pictures for things and programming reports before giving authorization.

I have the 10 year/100K mile extended warranty on mine, but only because it was basically free. I've already voided it over and over again with only 8K miles on my car so far, so it's mostly useless, but at least it'll still cover a few things here and there.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Ya my dad gets that on every car he buys. The cost is usually a wash but if you're not modding the car and don't like to work on cars it's hassle free piece of mind.

The way some mechanics operate, it's not entirely "piece of mind." I did nearly all of my own work with exception to anything that involved a welder, tire mount/balance, alignment and paint. Still experienced a few goof-ups from personnel and even busted one 'canich joy-riding in the back of the parking lot. If I goof-up on some auto work, I'm obligated to go behind my own work but when they goof-up they're somehow obligated to distance themselves from their own work.