Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Anyone considering getting the new Toyota Supra?

Nope.

I have a deep seated dislike for Toyota. Nothing particularly “wrong” with them, I’d just rather give my money to a manufacturer that cares about enthusiasts.
“But Toyota has two sports cars” you say

The Supra is a Z4 with a different steering wheel. The 86 is a BRZ. Toyota has gotten into a habit of buying other manufacturers’ cars and slapping their chintzy steering wheels into them (they also do this with the Mazda2/Toyota Yaris/iA).

My girl has a Prius prime, and it gets good fuel economy, she can get 1000 miles on a tank of gas. I hate driving it though. I may be spoiled by my FiST, but it’s just sloppy in comparison. The pedal feel is abysmal and I find stopping smoothly nearly impossible thanks to the regenerative brakes. The interior is ok, nothing to write home about, but it is very quiet which is nice. That said I legitimately hate having to interact with this car. The only thing it is good for is chilling in the right lane at 65 mph, and just covering distance, slowly. I’d say it’s a bad city car because the steering and the brakes are just so numb, and the car constantly feels like it’s nannying your inputs. I cannot stress that the nonlinear behavior from the brake pedal is downright scary at times. Also, the car HATES to be hustled. Any notion of moving a bit faster and you can feel the thing protest.

So that’s a really long way to say, I get why Toyota doesn’t build sports cars. But I’d rather just buy a Z4 than a Supra, price differences not withstanding. In 5 years when the sales start to slow down, I’m sure Toyota will discontinue it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I'm happy with my car.
[thumb]

Like all current TOYS/Lexi, I just cannot stand the front clip/fascia of this thing at all!

The last MKIV was NOT all that phenomenal a car as far as handling went (and I personally did not think it was all that spectacular in the looks department EITHER [nono]), and many 'project' those qualities onto it solely because of the supposedly indestructible GTE's IRON (<-let us not forget THAT!) block, and forged internals, which was designed (and produced??) by the Teutons, as was it's also supposedly indestructible gearbox.

I am SURE that this current one could run circles around the old, much worshiped and beloved by it's fanboyees, MKIV, on any road course, factory stock to factory stock. [wink]

Mikey456

it's an interesting case study. The target they built it to fight is the Porsche Cayman but at around $20k less. It's a very misunderstood car by a lot of people shooting from the hip about what the think without much real info. It's got a shorter wheelbase than the FRS/BRZ and a unique platform and transmission tuned without any BMW input. A few journalists have said that Toyota off the record is saying they know everyone wants a manual trans and that what we see today is what was necessary to make the car happen at all. If it can sell then more versions including a manual are sure to come.

So it's a complex situation. For me the corvette is the perfect middle ground between the two and what I would buy. Competition forces innovation and drives prices down so I hope the Supra succeeds.

One last interesting fact is that the old supra and new one both sold for $50k, and that's not inflation adjusted. The new one is likely a faster car on any performance or track tests.
As for Toyota products, I did consider the FRS/BRZ before I purchased my FiST. I’m glad I went with Fist. If I did have $50k to spend on a car, I would probably go with the Supra’s competitors, the Porsche Cayman/Boxster, BMW M2, etc. To me the car is not attractive and the lack of a manual just makes it unappealing to me.

As for Toyota products, I did consider the FRS/BRZ before I purchased my FiST. I’m glad I went with Fist. If I did have $50k to spend on a car, I would probably go with the Supra’s competitors, the Porsche Cayman/Boxster, BMW M2, etc. To me the car is not attractive and the lack of a manual just makes it unappealing to me.
Thats kind of my point. None of those other cars are 50k. They are all a lot more money. It’s what makes the Supra stand out.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Thats kind of my point. None of those other cars are 50k. They are all a lot more money. It’s what makes the Supra stand out.
It still does not stand out IMO, missed chances is what I see. Front end is ugly. If I wanted a BMW I would buy a BMW oh wait I already did multiple times. No more BMW”S here kind of over them.
This car is just another example of how most Japanese car manufacturers are suffering through identity crisis and trying to sell mass people movers.
Toyota could have easily done this car on their own same with the FRS/BRZ. They took the lazy mans way out. At least Mazda was already building Miata and agreed with Fiat to manufacture the new 124 on the Miata assembly line. Thats a little different than shopping out a car that has motoring heritage for the company.
Not sure why Fiat took the route they did after all they own Ferrari and ALFA.

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I love it, and I am absolutely interested in one. I dont really give a flying shit about it being a Z4, BMW knows how to build a sports car, and Toyota does too (well they did). Toyota stopped working with BMW after the design was set, and developed their own bits to it too, its not just a re-bodied Z4.

Everyone complains about it not being bespoke and no 2JZ, no toyota engine, whatever. The fact of the matter is that they made the car and made it affordable it costs a little more than the Focus RS / Civic Type R (when you add the ridiculous "market adjustments" that loads of people paid and are still paying) and has tons of potential, especially considering that the Z4 makes more HP out of the box with the exact same components. If it does well I can see Toyota going back and adding a MT as well as tons of other shit, but they are being smart and waiting it out to see how it does.

Doug had a lot of good points, but even he pointed out that it was a pretty good car, fun and unique even though it was pretty much a BMW parts bin car.

Yeah it’s 3 times the cost of my current car that I love, but of course I’m “considering” it. Actually I’m not because I know I won’t fit comfortably because it’s smaller than an 86. I will say this though, the exhaust note is better than anything bimmer has done for their I6 turbos. There are so many tuned m3/m4 around Glendale and they all sound like a Whoopie cushion duct taped to a bullhorn. Just awful.

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Id consider it if i had the disposable income, what bugs me is the lack of a manual.

Dib

I entertained the idea of getting one after this deployment. i would prefer to have it in a manual, but i understand that everything is going auto now, like the GTR and every other exotic. Many are upset about the connection to the z4, as if that's a bad thing. Listening to the chief engineer, they made effort to make sure there is a lot of space for modification in the supra. And everyone knows there is going to be a massive aftermarket.

I entertained the idea of getting one after this deployment. i would prefer to have it in a manual, but i understand that everything is going auto now, like the GTR and every other exotic. Many are upset about the connection to the z4, as if that's a bad thing. Listening to the chief engineer, they made effort to make sure there is a lot of space for modification in the supra. And everyone knows there is going to be a massive aftermarket.
If you're going to make the space for it to have custom parts added and make the car better, why not just make the car better from the factory? The aftermarket scene would still exist. They could have made the car better but they chose not to so other companies could profit? It's just odd. As for the Supra sharing many things with the Z4, bimmers haven't had the best reliability in recent years. At least not like Honda and well, Toyota. So seeing so many bits come from the Z4 can be a concern because the most fun car is one that works at the end of the day.

PunkST

2000 Post Club
The simple answer to that is having the car meet expectations and company goals while still being affordable anf profitable to produce.