Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Anyone considering getting the new Toyota Supra?

I entertained the idea of getting one after this deployment. i would prefer to have it in a manual, but i understand that everything is going auto now, like the GTR and every other exotic. Many are upset about the connection to the z4, as if that's a bad thing. Listening to the chief engineer, they made effort to make sure there is a lot of space for modification in the supra. And everyone knows there is going to be a massive aftermarket.
It’s a BMW there was going to be an aftermarket regardless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dib

If you're going to make the space for it to have custom parts added and make the car better, why not just make the car better from the factory? The aftermarket scene would still exist. They could have made the car better but they chose not to so other companies could profit? It's just odd. As for the Supra sharing many things with the Z4, bimmers haven't had the best reliability in recent years. At least not like Honda and well, Toyota. So seeing so many bits come from the Z4 can be a concern because the most fun car is one that works at the end of the day.
I think it's brilliant to leave space. the car as a sold works very very well with what it has. but like the chief engineer said, they had extra bracing in the front that they removed because their test driver noticed it was too stiff in the front. And instead of remaking the stock airbox and removing the mounting points they remained for aftermarket support, because when more bracing is added to the rest of the car it will be balanced. They left space for things that are way above and beyond what the stock car will need, like a differential cooler. the stock car has no need for it. also the cutouts in the front are half false, they cut holes large enough to feed the stock system, but there is now room to grow without drastic changes. I really think many people are too used to seeing the +1000hp supras and forget that they all started with around 320hp stock. They are built to beat supercars, they aren't super cars themselves. The original supra sold for around 40k iirc, and with inflation that's over 60k in today's money.
I have a fair amount of faith in the new B58 engine. they learned alot from the N54 when they made the N55 they are actually quiet reliable, and now they learned even more with the B58 and thus even better. It has a closed deck and a water-to-air intercooler, which personally, i think is awesome.

Dib

It’s a BMW there was going to be an aftermarket regardless.

yeah, pretty much every car has some sort of aftermarket support. my old 2007 Corolla CE had a pretty wide aftermarket and that car was/is a massive hunk of shit. My 1992 Suzuki Sidekick had an aftermarket. The point wasn't just that some aftermarket will exist, but it will be massive. Supra specific support will be larger than for the Z4 i'm certain. I'm sure it will rival the aftermarket for GTRs.

I wonder about the BMW components. Are the window regulator BMW? Are the wiper motors BMW? Those are the type of things that make BMWs suck to own as they cost a fortune. It's a good engine but the little Gremlins that break- who makes those is all I need to know.

I’ve looked these over a few times in the last three months as there are two of them at all of the local autocrosses. The car is fast and smooth and you can fit some ungodly wide tires under it. The BMW collaboration is smart in my opinion. The price point is excellent as it’s the bargain of all similar cars. I would consider it iif they added another pedal, life is too short to drive boring cars. Just another opinion here. (For reference/perspective, I have an older BMW M5 MT6 and two Fiesta ST’s currently and I do all of my own maintenance)

DoomsdayMelody

I love it, and I am absolutely interested in one. I dont really give a flying shit about it being a Z4, BMW knows how to build a sports car, and Toyota does too (well they did). Toyota stopped working with BMW after the design was set, and developed their own bits to it too, its not just a re-bodied Z4.

Everyone complains about it not being bespoke and no 2JZ, no toyota engine, whatever. The fact of the matter is that they made the car and made it affordable it costs a little more than the Focus RS / Civic Type R (when you add the ridiculous "market adjustments" that loads of people paid and are still paying) and has tons of potential, especially considering that the Z4 makes more HP out of the box with the exact same components. If it does well I can see Toyota going back and adding a MT as well as tons of other shit, but they are being smart and waiting it out to see how it does.
Thing is, no one can tell me what Toyota contributed to the design other than splitting the bill, which, I guess, is something.

At this price point it’s competing with a Mustang GT PP2 and it’s camaro equivalent. With the auto equipped mustang they are pretty much 100% competitive from a performance perspective. The mustang however holds a myriad of plain benefits over the Supra. Potentially the most worrying thing about the Supra is that is uses BMW running gear, since BMW developed the engine there’s going to be an always present learning curve for any Toyota service department working on those cars because the Supra is going to be a comparatively rare sight in a Toyota service center. Anyone else remember when there was a recall on the BRZ/FRS? I forget the particulars, but the recall required the front cover to be removed and the techs had to use some sort of RTV/silicon compound to hand make the new front cover gasket. Toyota’s techs, being unfamiliar with the engine, improperly applied the gasket and ended up using so much that it birthed an oil starvation issue with those cars.

You pull a coyote powered mustang into a ford service center and everyone there is going to know what their looking at. Not to mention there’s no wait time on getting an aftermarket established and there’s no guesswork with the engine because it’s a known quantity at this point.

Maybe I’m hating, I dunno, but I don’t see the point in taking the extra risk and buying a BMW produced Supra. It just sounds like you’re asking for trouble, and if thats what you’re looking for, 50 grand will buy you something much more interesting that can give you just as many potential problems. Like a used hellcat or maybe a BMW i8 with around 50k miles.

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I will admit after seeing one at my friends dealership they look much better in person. Though with the C8 Corvette coming in at close to the same price why would I want the Supra?. The C8 the mid engine super car bargain of the century.
Good luck picking up a: 1) base model c8 2) a c8 at MSRP

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I personally would have no issue in finding either car at MSRP. But yes I think you'll be able to in 2020
Well see , two things your comment to me above about have fun finding a C8 at MSRP is true. As the first year of the C8 is already sold out with orders. lol
No worries I would let the dust settle and indeed get a C8 at MSRP or possibly less after that. I also could probably go get a Supra today for MSRP or maybe a bit less. It pays to know people. lol
I also shop discounts on everything. Why pay retail?

Last edited:

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Well see , two things your comment to me above about have fun finding a C8 MSRP is true as the first year of the C8 is already sold out with orders. lol
No worries I would let the dust settle and indeed get a C8 at MSRP or possibly less after that. I also could probably go get a Supra today for MSRP or maybe a bit less. It pays to know people. lol
I also shop discounts on everything. Why pay retail?
There will be used variants of both cars popping up next year. I can't imagine both will still have a premium price. The only insanity I've seen with the Supra is the release / launch editions which are selling for over 100k used lol.

DoomsdayMelody

I personally would have no issue in finding either car at MSRP. But yes I think you'll be able to in 2020
I dunno, I was helping a buddy shop for cars, he’s looking for something to replace his Mazdaspeed3. So we looked at the usual suspects at and above his price range (around 30k) CTR and Si, GTI, and I convinced him to drive a Fiesta ST. He liked it but felt it was too small.

I’m a closet Hyundai fan, have been since I worked at a Hyundai dealership from 2012-2013. I had brought up the Veloster N at least a half dozen times, but he is of the opinion that Hyundai doesn’t build anything worthwhile. I finally dragged him to a dealership, to drive an N. Dealer straight up refused a test drive even though he was preapproved. They told us that we “could sit in it, but they aren’t handing the keys out to just anyone.” Which was the first red flag I ignored. So we sat in it, and he asked how much it cost. Sales guy gave us the whole act and came back with a slip of paper. $40k for a non-performance pack one.

I asked him if he was high. There are rebates from Hyundai ($500) currently active on the Veloster N. He just shrugged and said he was glad he didn’t let us drive and that we were welcome to come back “once we were serious”.

3 seperate Hyundai dealers later and a similar experience at all 3. No on let us drive it, and only one gave us a quote close to MSRP at $35 for a performance pack equipped one.

If the N is getting this type of ‘sales experience’ I have to imagine that the Supra has it as well, considering it actually has a cult following.

The crazy part is, I could walk into a ford dealer and ask to test drive a mustang GT, both more powerful and more expensive than the N, and the only thing the sales guy would ask is “what color do you want to drive?” [emoji2369]

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I dunno, I was helping a buddy shop for cars, he’s looking for something to replace his Mazdaspeed3. So we looked at the usual suspects at and above his price range (around 30k) CTR and Si, GTI, and I convinced him to drive a Fiesta ST. He liked it but felt it was too small.

I’m a closet Hyundai fan, have been since I worked at a Hyundai dealership from 2012-2013. I had brought up the Veloster N at least a half dozen times, but he is of the opinion that Hyundai doesn’t build anything worthwhile. I finally dragged him to a dealership, to drive an N. Dealer straight up refused a test drive even though he was preapproved. They told us that we “could sit in it, but they aren’t handing the keys out to just anyone.” Which was the first red flag I ignored. So we sat in it, and he asked how much it cost. Sales guy gave us the whole act and came back with a slip of paper. $40k for a non-performance pack one.

I asked him if he was high. There are rebates from Hyundai ($500) currently active on the Veloster N. He just shrugged and said he was glad he didn’t let us drive and that we were welcome to come back “once we were serious”.

3 seperate Hyundai dealers later and a similar experience at all 3. No on let us drive it, and only one gave us a quote close to MSRP at $35 for a performance pack equipped one.

If the N is getting this type of ‘sales experience’ I have to imagine that the Supra has it as well, considering it actually has a cult following.

The crazy part is, I could walk into a ford dealer and ask to test drive a mustang GT, both more powerful and more expensive than the N, and the only thing the sales guy would ask is “what color do you want to drive?” [emoji2369]

My buddy sells Supra’s he pretty much stated too me on New Years if I wanted one I could get one at his cost. They have 3 currently and he has sold several of them so far over the last two months.

Me too, why would anyone buy a BMW anyway?
Lol because besides the fact they are maintenance machines they drive great. I am not gonna lie my Black M3 track rat car was an absolute blast to drive the only car that upstaged it was my FIST,
Of course it had TC Klein Collovers E46 M3 Wheels 18x9 23 offset squared, Vaders, Active Autowerks exhaust, AE intake, fully reinforced, X brace , short shifter, UA 9 pound flywheel with M5 clutch Etc..
should never have sold it after it got sideswiped as it was a salvage title machine and could be driven like you stole due to having no resale value. Of course I got all of my money out of it because of the sideswipe.
Now my current M is a collectors item and will be going up for sale soon as I do not want to put more miles on it. What fun is a car you can’t drive?

Last edited:

Dpro

6000 Post Club
This shirt made me laugh....I own it... it it is very very true.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
Lol clean S chassis, that is so true these days. Gone are the days of clean 240sx’s.
Oh and ya German cars can be reliable as long as spend lots of money maintaining them. :ROFLMAO:

koozy

3000 Post Club
Fact. I don’t spend a lot of money to keep my 1985 e28 reliably running.

Sent from my iPhone 11 Pro Max using Tapatalk