Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

AWD conversion

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Why can't you just seperate the body from the frame, take the frame of an AWD car with similar measurements and weld it to the body... Then work out the suspension, diff, driveshaft.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
There is no separation between the body and the frame - the FiST is a unibody.

Take a look at how profession fabricators do it - they wack off the sheet metal that's in the way, build a space frame for structure, wrap it in new sheet metal, and hang the old body panels (or fiberglass) on top. If you were to commission a reputable shop to build a one-off you're looking at a near-6 figure build.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I'm in the Detroit area. I'll start asking around. If it's true, one of the car groups around here has to know about it!
Very curious if he went 4G63 or Focus RS or something else for the powertrain
The whole Evo Ralliart drive train/power train installed into an S2000 rally class Fiesta unibody is a popular conversion done in Euro/Eastern European national rally circles.
But, that S2000 Fiesta unibody is already set up for an AWD drive train. [wink]

Last edited:

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Doesn't Ken Blocks wife roll a Fiesta AWD as an anniversary gift from him? [thankyou]
Maybe he got her an AWD R5 Fiesta recently ([dunno]), but she actually competes in ARA rallies with an R2 Fiesta, a fully built/prepped, FWD turbo car with a Sadev sequential gearbox, based on the 3 cylinder, Euro 2 door SE.

Last edited:

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
There is no separation between the body and the frame - the FiST is a unibody.

Take a look at how profession fabricators do it - they wack off the sheet metal that's in the way, build a space frame for structure, wrap it in new sheet metal, and hang the old body panels (or fiberglass) on top. If you were to commission a reputable shop to build a one-off you're looking at a near-6 figure build.
More like an OVER six figure build, given today's prices. [:(]

You'd need to figure out how to get it to cooperate with the ICE side of the car, and provide power levels appropriate to grip/throttle/steering/traction control/etc. Your fabrication challenge just moves to a software challenge.
Strain gauges on the front axle shafts perhaps provide input for the rear drive motor strategy, including braking assist.

I'm in the Detroit area. I'll start asking around. If it's true, one of the car groups around here has to know about it!
Very curious if he went 4G63 or Focus RS or something else for the powertrain
If I were to commit to awd fist I'd use Evo 3 drivetrain. I believe it's the closest to our cars.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
If I were to commit to awd fist I'd use Evo 3 drivetrain. I believe it's the closest to our cars.
That is PRECISELY what some are using for the 'Proto' Mk7 Fiesta rally builds, mainly in eastern Europe, but a couple here in the states, competing in the Open AWD class in ARA rallying. [wink] [thumb]

Does anyone know if the Focus RS trans from the 2.0 liter will fit or have the same bolt pattern as the 1.6 liter cause if so there is half the conversion and then you can use the rear diff and make custom brackets to mount it. And then use the focus or ecosport hubs/knuckle assembly to convert it to a 5 lug. Then just get drive shafts and axles custom made to length. But then again I don't know if the rear diff will fit high enough without cutting into the body.

Does anyone know if the Focus RS trans from the 2.0 liter will fit or have the same bolt pattern as the 1.6 liter cause if so there is half the conversion and then you can use the rear diff and make custom brackets to mount it. And then use the focus or ecosport hubs/knuckle assembly to convert it to a 5 lug. Then just get drive shafts and axles custom made to length. But then again I don't know if the rear diff will fit high enough without cutting into the body.
It does not. The fiesta st uses the sigma/zetec s block bolt pattern and the focus st/rs uses the duratec block bolt pattern. Also the ecosport is 4x108 hub pattern, the same as our cars and the focus hubs do not interchange. But Alex the machinist will drill 5x108 hubs if you ask😊

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
It does not. The fiesta st uses the sigma/zetec s block bolt pattern and the focus st/rs uses the duratec block bolt pattern. Also the ecosport is 4x108 hub pattern, the same as our cars and the focus hubs do not interchange. But Alex the machinist will drill 5x108 hubs if you ask[emoji4]
Just quit..Unless you have 250k. Don't get people all riled up..

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Its still nothing to sneez at.... but... RKT builds turn key 5 door Fiesta Proto cars for $125K. Now waiting for M-Sport fan to chime in lol
Yup, I've started many of them while working start controls on ARA rally stages.

But, albeit driven on the open to the public roads for the transit portions of the rallies in between the all out, full speed gravel stages (to get to said competitive stages), they are nowhere near 'street legal' technically, anywhere in this land, and pretty much impossible to insure for steady, constant, everyday public road use. [:(]

Now, an area which has no inspections whatsoever, will register the car according to the VIN plate number, but one had better HOPE that the insurance company does not require an inspection before issuing a policy, OR that one never has to actually use said insurance if they do happen to issue a policy with no visual inspection at the time of policy application. [wink]

Last edited:

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Outstanding! Are you on Facebook? I don't frequent this forum as often as I should but I've read thousands of your posts at this point after years of not even being a member here till recently and would love to talk rally and not junk up threads you're on lol

Nope, don't 'do' Facebook, but you can PM me from this site all you want about rallying, both here in this land, as well as Europe/rest of world/WRC.

Have you (ever) been to SOFR?

You know what I thought about the other day for this, forget all the conversion stuff I’ve got it figured out! Why not just stick two electric hub motors on the back? Probably still be cheaper and may be even better all around then all of that cutting and who knows what. Any thoughts on that?
Been talking about this with a friend for a little while now!