Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

awd swap??????

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I have actually came very close to such a mod, AWD Scion TC using factory parts as the platform was built in AWD in other markets with a different body. A few years later Chris Rado had his AWD, 1500WHP TC built at around a $2M+ level.

My other plan and I did all the measuring, have the shop and skills to do it, LS in the back seat which would of been about the same amount of time and cost, weigh significantly less and be faster and would of had 10" front and 12" wide rear wheels. It was already a fully built street/track/audio comp car that was just over 2500lbs.

-----------------

If it can be done and you can make it happen then follow your dream and make it so, just realize projects like that grow in magnitude and cost exponentially so budget at least double if not triple what you think it will take;)

-----------------

Personally I am not a big AWD fan, I had $30k under a Forester XT that was very very quick and yet just not that much fun. I like FWD or RWD better, just more entertaining to me so I should of built the Mid engine TC as had all the parts but sold it and started building a 2300 lb 600+ WHP forged LS $80K 95 M3 that could easily make 1000+ WHP if boosted, 90% done I decided to retire which meant not much budget to actually use it.

And now loving my little ST project soon to have around 300WHP on pump gas and will shock many at the track as it already did quite a few with just over 200WHP but all the supporting mods to make fast lap times:)

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I am of the school which says to buy an older Fiesta WRC, or R5 car, and do what is necessary to allow it to be actually street legal/driveable (but this could only be done in certain areas of this land with NO inspections whatsoever [:(]).
(But yeah, you still then have that pesky/NOISY sequential gearbox to deal with, and have to rebuild every 3K miles or less. [:(])

I say start with one of the FIA rally spec cars vs. a much more powerful Global Rallycross Car because those monsters have NONE of the street required equipment installed on them, at all (i.e.; lights, turn signals, horn, etc. etc.).

You'll need to source an AWD transmission that'll play well with the factory computer. It think Mountune has transmissions for the Foci, so there may be something available. The new Ecoturd is supposedly based on the Fiesta chassis, so the rear drive components may be adaptable. May have to swap a lot of the rear pan and some of the structure to get it to work, so it might end up easier to fabricate something out back, adopt a Miata rear suspension or something like that. Fuel tank will likely be in the way, and you may have to enlarge the tunnel to accept a driveshaft.

I think the CANBUS would be the hardest thing to work around. The mechanical stuff is just money and fabrication. Otherwise, you'll end up doing what M-Sport Fan is recommending, and basically building an AWD tube chassis inside the factory tub and then trying somehow to get that to pass an inspection.

1G Focus with a FoRS engine/trans swap would be cool. They already have kits for those cars to get a rear drive axle, so making one AWD would be a lot easier than the newer cars.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Fear is not really the issue here, it is viability which is very low on the scale. Achievable, sure it you have the funds and time to invest you can do anything you wish so that is not the question and again fear not the reason.
IF, a BIG IF, you have the funds, time, fortitude and want to do it then get to it and update us on the project as we would love to see it. IF NOT, then it might be good to spend your time daydreaming about more obtainable goals that have a bit more attainability within your actual abilities, etc....;)

Hypergram

1000 Post Club
I am of the school which says to buy an older Fiesta WRC, or R5 car, and do what is necessary to allow it to be actually street legal/driveable (but this could only be done in certain areas of this land with NO inspections whatsoever [:(]).
(But yeah, you still then have that pesky/NOISY sequential gearbox to deal with, and have to rebuild every 3K miles or less. [:(])

I say start with one of the FIA rally spec cars vs. a much more powerful Global Rallycross Car because those monsters have NONE of the street required equipment installed on them, at all (i.e.; lights, turn signals, horn, etc. etc.).
One of the only times it's nice to live in Florida. No regular vehicle or emissions inspections