Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Best Cruising Speed

Not recently, but I did a 400 mile road trip and found my best cruising speed was about 79 mph. It seemed like the harmonics and cabin sound settled at that speed. Does it settle again at 120? Anyone?

PunkST

2000 Post Club
My best speed is 73 - 76 really no need for fadter unless im where theblimit is 80.

I have absolutely no self control and usually cruise at 85. Not great for fuel economy but going slightly faster than the other traffic makes me feel better for whatever reason.
I was like this until very recently. On my local freeways these days, traffic speed IS 85mph, so I found myself doing 90...

Screw that. I'll just stay to the right.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I have absolutely no self control and usually cruise at 85. Not great for fuel economy but going slightly faster than the other traffic makes me feel better for whatever reason.
You're lucky that you can get away with doing that (or do you own a V1, or the like?). [wink]

Hypergram

1000 Post Club
Valentine 1, one of the better (if not considered THE best) radar detectors out there. [wink]
Ahh I see. The radar detector I use are my two eyes haha. When in forest areas when cops can hide, usually I'll stick to the speed of the other traffic, but on the highway when it's harder to hide, I open it up a bit more.

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
weird... watching mpg / revs, my car really likes just under 70mph. anything over that and it's too close to being in boost and efficiency drops a lot. Also makes sense to me that the engineers selected 6th gear ratio for around there.
Same here. If I'm in no hurry and set the cruise anywhere below 65, the mpg is really good. The boost kicks in a lot harder at 70+.

pixelzombie

Depends on the roads. I tried 90 mph the other day and the surface wasn't very flat at that speed. The car handled it well though I won't be doing that anytime soon.

I've found cruising around 74 mph produces a bit better fuel economy than cruising at 68, I can get up to 39 mpg. However that was while driving across Northern Ohio which is darned near billiard table flat. When driving in W. Virginia going to see my sister or going farther south the mileage is kinda poor due to all the hills and curves and the inability to compensate by building up a good head of steam while going downhill. Darned Smokies seem to get upset when they see someone coasting downhill at 85 or 90 mph. Yeah, on a 7% grade you can really build up a good head of steam just by coasting down the hill.

As for noise, or drone, I have a COBB 2 1/2 inch exhaust on my FiST and the most significant factor for noise is the position of the rear seat back and package shelf. If the rear seat back is folded down and the package shelf is parked behind the front seats there is heck o a boom between 3500 and 4000 rpm at full throttle. With the rear seat back in the UP position and package shelf in place there are no problems with that boom or any issues with drone at any speed.

I've found cruising around 74 mph produces a bit better fuel economy than cruising at 68, I can get up to 39 mpg.
that's impossible. how could your injectors fire less fuel into the motor with more wind resistance and higher RPMs?

HBEcoBeaST

that's impossible. how could your injectors fire less fuel into the motor with more wind resistance and higher RPMs?
It's an engine efficiency/gearing thing. Just like on a bicycle higher gears (high resistance) are great to maintain speed but not so great starting from a stop. Drop below a certain speed in high gear and you'll have to work harder going slower. Super basic explanation.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Half my drives are at highway speed, quarter below 60, and a quarter below 30. I've found I get good gas mileage around 70 but I think it is more behavioral then it is gear ratio and efficiency. If I go faster I end up passing folks and it's really hard not to pass a left-lane-dweller without a bit of aggression. Either way, in my shit show of a drive I've been able to sneak out >40mpg averages (pictures or it didn't happen).

Edit: I'm a nerd when it comes to metrics and data. I did a four-month case study using GoFar App / Ray to retrain and learn efficient driving styles. Message me if you want to geek out.

IMG_4775.PNG

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
I found I got the best MPG's at about 65mph only using cruise control on flat roads, trying to stay in vacuum or very low boost going up hills and coasting in gear as much as possible going downhill.

But then I get bored and start WOTing all over the place.

pixelzombie

I used to think that as well, but it's all about finding the sweet spot where the engine is very efficient. I used to drive to Michigan in my '99 Passat when the national speed limit was 55 mph. When Indiana and MI increased their limits, I notice my gas mileage improved with the faster speed.

dhminer

2000 Post Club
Best speed is speed limit + 10%, or as fast as possible without a ticket.

Most efficient seems to be right around 70 on flat Indiana roads.