Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Best wheel size for cold winter without snowy roads

I've done my research but I'm having a hard time finding advice on my specific situation. My tire purchase is decided: Nokian Hakkapeliitas. I've been using them for 20+ years and they are amazing. When I lived in Vermont I used studded but now in Eastern Washington I use the R2. So to save $$ I'd like to go with 15" wheels. I'm undecided about steel or alloy but my bigger concern is tire size. Eastern Washington definitely gets some snow but not frequently and usually just 3-4 inches at a time. Roads are often dry or damp. 20 mile commute on highway to work. We also have a 2013 Subaru Outback in the garage that I can drive on slippery days but I also want to be prepared for any weather that develops during the day while I am at work. Currently considering Tire Rack or Discount Tire's 15" steel wheel with 185/60/R15 Hakka R2s. Does anybody have this set up? I may decide to spring for alloy because I fear I won't like the look of the steel wheels. Thoughts? Any warranty issues with using 15" wheels? Yesterday the local Ford dealer said the Ford does not sanction any wheel size but the 17" oem. As a daily driver does 16" make more sense in my situation? I already curbed a wheel so the larger sidewall of the 15" is appealing. Can you tell a difference in ride quality between 15" and 16"? Thanks for any advice you can offer...

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
WELCOME!!

The 15" or 16" Sparco, or Sport edition, etc. alloys at Tire rack are not all that much more coin than their steelies, MUCH better looking, and lighter.

I like the idea of a big sidewall, 15" tire in the winter (like a 15x6.5 Sparco Assetto Gara with a 185/60-15 or 195/55-15 on them), but I am thinking of (next year) going with the Sparco Terras (since I love the way they look on these cars) in 16x7 with a 195/55-16 R2, or even a WRG3 on them, since we also get a couple of BIG snows, but the roads are clear and dry the rest of the time (albeit still very cold usually), and I do not HAVE TO be out on them when they are not. [wink]

Considering your locale, I would also look at and consider the Nokian WRG3s since they would not 'burn up' as quickly as the more constant snowy/icy condition oriented R2s would in the cold dry 'usual' weather you get, being a more dry performance (but still excellent grip in the arctic COLD), slightly better handling, higher speed rated tire.

Now IF you are worried about sitting at work and watching feet of snow pile up and having a panic attack from that scenario, then by all means go with the R2s, even if it entails buying new ones a little more often, or dealing with a hair more 'mushiness/squirm' on the turn-in, and handling performance.

As far as wheel size goes; the sidewall height/profile is going to effect the ride and handling a lot more than the wheel diameter does, at least when the wheel weights are held constant (or taken out of the picture).

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
[video=youtube;avwOcNXCXm0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avwOcNXCXm0[/video]

I would ignore what the dealer is telling you. They tend to know less about the car than anyone else on the planet. The only way for your warranty to be affected by 15" wheels is if there was some failure that was a direct result of the small wheels. This is next to impossible, unless you have some crazy offset that overloads the wheel bearings.