Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Blow Off Valves

New to boost, opening to learning everything I can. Whenever I buy a BOV, is there anything else I need to do to help prevent any long term damage to the car?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
Bovs don't inherently cause damage to the car but they are important because they relieve unneeded or unused pressure the turbo makes by allowing an exit other than the combustion Chambers. Stick with a good quality turbosmart or tial and you shouldn't have an issue. Also depending on the amount of boost you run you may need an external bov. For me I'm running 34 so that's why I opted for a tial bov on the cold side pipe.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Vacuum operated/Mechanical BOVs will always be more dependable than Electronic BPVs or BOVs. I have a Tial with my Gen2 And it has worked flawless even through the Depth of winter.

RubenZZZ

1000 Post Club
Go on YouTube and listen to the different brands of BOVs to find the one you like.

I currently run a Turbosmart piece, but will likely swap to a HKS SSQ unit once I find a cheap used one.

OP
D
Thread Starter #5
Go on YouTube and listen to the different brands of BOVs to find the one you like.

I currently run a Turbosmart piece, but will likely swap to a HKS SSQ unit once I find a cheap used one.

I’ve always loved the sound of a HKS, but I’m leaning more towards Turbosmart at the moment.

flbchbm

1000 Post Club
New to boost, opening to learning everything I can. Whenever I buy a BOV, is there anything else I need to do to help prevent any long term damage to the car?
Keep away from others that consider it annoying/obnoxious and just an ego inflator. Never know when a neighbor might get tired of it. lol

I’ve always loved the sound of a HKS, but I’m leaning more towards Turbosmart at the moment.
BOVs on the FiST is a cool topic because of how many options there are. Normally I'm a fan of crowd-sourcing but I would also highly recommend personal research. Each BOV type has different pros/cons sounds/performance. I'd dig in to see which aligns with your long term build goals.

OP
D
Thread Starter #9
BOVs on the FiST is a cool topic because of how many options there are. Normally I'm a fan of crowd-sourcing but I would also highly recommend personal research. Each BOV type has different pros/cons sounds/performance. I'd dig in to see which aligns with your long term build goals.
I went with the Turbosmart Kompact BOV from Mountune!

OP
D
Thread Starter #11
Well, with the corona virus going on, I unfortunately had to cancel my order for the Turbosmart BOV. Still waiting on a refund from Mountune, and it’s been a week. So this brings me to one other question, is the symposer delete a must for a BOV, or does the BOV take that spot?

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
Which one did you order? They do make a symposer replacement bov but they also make the one that fits on the turbo.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

RubenZZZ

1000 Post Club
If you run a symposer delete style BOV, you’ll need to buy a recirculating valve delete plate (or just unplug the recirculating valve connector) and get a recirculating Valve mimic plug/ have it tuned-out by a tuner (assuming your have AP3).

The BOVs that bolt onto the turbo like the factory electric recirculating valve doesn’t need all the other considerations.

haste

1000 Post Club
[SCAMMER ALERT] a tial bov on the hot side pipe. I noticed it's open during idle, leaving a big hole. Does this not allow the engine to ingest dirt/dust during idle conditions?

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
[SCAMMER ALERT] a tial bov on the hot side pipe. I noticed it's open during idle, leaving a big hole. Does this not allow the engine to ingest dirt/dust during idle conditions?
No it will not. As soon as the Throttle is actuate/Pressed the BOV closes and then opens when you let off the accelerator. Plus when its at idle it is moving enough air to keep from anything entering the BOV port. I also thought the same thing as it was explained to me by a BOV Vendor for my Typhoon.

haste

1000 Post Club
Still doesn't explain it to me. It is on the unfiltered side of the intake. What about vacuum levels during engine braking? They are higher than at idle. It seems the engine would "suck" in some dirt from the unfiltered side of the intake. Why does tial sell different springs for their BOV, if that is the case?

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Mine is on the Hotside pipe as Per ATP recommendations. I could get a video of my Typhoon it runs a JGS BOV on the hotside pipe also. Give the engine a couple revs and show you it if you want.

haste

1000 Post Club
Well, crap. I don't know why I said HOT side. I meant cold side. Either way, still after unfiltered air...