Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Boost hoses. Improve or leave em be?

akiraproject24

1000 Post Club
U.S. Marine Veteran
In prep for a hybrid turbo been researching hot side and cold side pipes. Things I've considered: does increasing diameter increase flow yet decrease PSI and how might that effect performance? Have those that put in a solid hot side pipe have you had issues with it bending/breaking where it attaches to the engine? Does any one company have a better design? I still have to check mountune but was looking at the Whoosh. Was going to just do a J-pipe but a hard pipe would take a bunch of clamps out of the equation possible boost leak potentials.

I have a symposer bov so will leave the cold side alone outside of the s pipe from the intercooler, may change that to silicone.

Anyhow if you've swapped your hotside to something else would love to hear your thoughts on what you went with and why.

I could also leave them alone....but that wouldn't be any fun.

I’d had the whoosh J pipe with a full set of whoosh couplers for a while. Just switched to the whoosh hot side to do just like you said: eliminate a coupler and potential leak source.

I don’t really notice any difference either way.

The fit of both is good. The whoosh full hot side is a quality piece. It’s a little harder to finagle in place than the 2 piece design but I think that’s just because of the nature of a single piece.

A couple other thoughts: larger internal volume means slower air speed, all other things equal. Also, larger volume between the turbo and engine means pressure drop because there’s more volume the turbo has to fill before you get to positive pressure (boost) but quality aftermarket inter coolers increase pre-engine volume by much more than charge pipes.

So summary, I felt the pretty low cost and high quality of whoosh parts was worth it for the simplicity of a single piece for the whoosh hot side charge pipe.

dhminer

2000 Post Club
You have that stuff just sitting around?! Come on man!!

(says the guy who has $800 worth of headlight retrofit stuff sitting taking up space in my garage for a year+ now)
We could probably have an entire thread of "what shit do you have lying around that you've been too lazy to install"

I upgraded all the charge pipes alongside upgrading the turbo. Peace of mind, mostly.

OP
akiraproject24

akiraproject24

1000 Post Club
U.S. Marine Veteran
Thread Starter #11
We could probably have an entire thread of "what shit do you have lying around that you've been too lazy to install"

I upgraded all the charge pipes alongside upgrading the turbo. Peace of mind, mostly.
My side mirror blinkers that look cool the iSincers. I'm convinced im only gonna succeed in breaking something.

OP
akiraproject24

akiraproject24

1000 Post Club
U.S. Marine Veteran
Thread Starter #13
I’d had the whoosh J pipe with a full set of whoosh couplers for a while. Just switched to the whoosh hot side to do just like you said: eliminate a coupler and potential leak source.

I don’t really notice any difference either way.

The fit of both is good. The whoosh full hot side is a quality piece. It’s a little harder to finagle in place than the 2 piece design but I think that’s just because of the nature of a single piece.

A couple other thoughts: larger internal volume means slower air speed, all other things equal. Also, larger volume between the turbo and engine means pressure drop because there’s more volume the turbo has to fill before you get to positive pressure (boost) but quality aftermarket inter coolers increase pre-engine volume by much more than charge pipes.

So summary, I felt the pretty low cost and high quality of whoosh parts was worth it for the simplicity of a single piece for the whoosh hot side charge pipe.
Looking like I will go with the Whoosh hotside hardpipe. For cold side will probably just do the s pipe off the intercooler. Maybe some mishimoto t bolt clamps. Gives me something to tinker on that even I probably wont screw up.

Would love if whoosh did a premium boost hose clamp kit. I'll need to figure out what sizes to get.

jeff

2000 Post Club
Here's my review. Meh, if you're going hybrid turbo the hoses aren't necessary but they are a fun project that will dress up your engine bay and make you feel good about your life for a few hours or maybe even days. I do recommend double clamping the hot side hose on both sides though if you're adding any power to the car, for insurance, many including I blew them off while driving which can be dangerous.

https://youtu.be/4K1RdW5mBNY

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
View: https://www.youtube.com/embed/4K1RdW5mBNY
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

OP
akiraproject24

akiraproject24

1000 Post Club
U.S. Marine Veteran
Thread Starter #15
Here's my review. Meh, if you're going hybrid turbo the hoses aren't necessary but they are a fun project that will dress up your engine bay and make you feel good about your life for a few hours or maybe even days. I do recommend double clamping the hot side hose on both sides though if you're adding any power to the car, for insurance, many including I blew them off while driving which can be dangerous.

https://youtu.be/4K1RdW5mBNY

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
View: https://www.youtube.com/embed/4K1RdW5mBNY
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Feeling good about my life for a few day sounds exhausting...I don't think I can do it!

anticon

im for this as i am guilty as well. Camber plates/bolts, rotors, new brake lines, bleed em, need to flush tran fluid, etc etc
I have almost the same list, but with brake deflectors, and spoiler extensions too.

haste

1000 Post Club
Still on stock pipes here and really don't care to spend the money on something I hardly ever see. I've never hair sprayed or double clamped and have yet to blow a hose off. I see 27-28 psi in the winter on E30.

I've upgraded my buddies charge pipes/hoses. We didn't double clamp his connections. Don't forget the hairspray.

577d4604-0e3f-4bfb-a0c9-474cfa1e72a0.0808a2bbfcfe00bfa6bf923d42c10038.jpeg

OP
akiraproject24

akiraproject24

1000 Post Club
U.S. Marine Veteran
Thread Starter #18
Still on stock pipes here and really don't care to spend the money on something I hardly ever see. I've never hair sprayed or double clamped and have yet to blow a hose off. I see 27-28 psi in the winter on E30.

I've upgraded my buddies charge pipes/hoses. We didn't double clamp his connections. Don't forget the hairspray.

View attachment 43620
<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/1185WK1U2Qh5Nm" width="480" height="360" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="
View: https://giphy.com/gifs/what-do-you-mean-1185WK1U2Qh5Nm
">via GIPHY</a></p>

I'll let that soul glo!

jeff

2000 Post Club

I'd warn against hairspray...once they're stuck they may never come off which would suck if you have to wrench. Double clamping is much better imho.

I agree with you on spending money but I was offered the pipes on my car at a massive% discount in return for doing a review which made them about the cost of a few cups of Starbucks so I said why not.

haste

1000 Post Club
I'd warn against hairspray...once they're stuck they may never come off which would suck if you have to wrench. Double clamping is much better imho.

I agree with you on spending money but I was offered the pipes on my car at a massive% discount in return for doing a review which made them about the cost of a few cups of Starbucks so I said why not.
Just need a way to release them.

610k5qkgsuL._AC_SL1500_.jpg