Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Boost surge? Leak? Where to start?

danbfree

3000 Post Club
[MENTION=9617]Turdbo[/MENTION],

When you bought your car, do you know if there was a tune on it already? Its possible someone tore off all the parts but left an overly aggressive tune (for your mod level)
But... maybe I'm wrong here, but how really CAN it be too much boost when stock turbo's can handle 26 PSI no problem? Wouldn't it take a full-on turbo upgrade and it's tune to blast past the stock plumbing? Just a thought...

I was thinking perhaps the PO flashed a somewhat aggressive tune, then pulled all the supporting mods but didn't reflash the stock tune, and sold it.
The car could be detecting a signal too high or too low, such as a signal voltage on the CAT sensor (like in my case with the TT).

As far as the blown off boost hose goes, are the intercooler end tanks in good condition? No cracks, chips, ridges gouged up?

OP
T
Thread Starter #23
Oh no, that's the first thing you're supposed to do is make sure it is unmarried before you hand anyone cash for it, I'm almost positive it won't do jack squat for you. :(
Bought it off Ebay, they claimed it was unmarried and included another Mountune accessport along with it. Turns out both were unmarried so the seller gave me a decent refund on both.

OP
T
Thread Starter #24
[MENTION=9617]Turdbo[/MENTION],

When you bought your car, do you know if there was a tune on it already? Its possible someone tore off all the parts but left an overly aggressive tune (for your mod level)
I did wonder that however when I took it to Ford for warranty work they didn't mention anything regarding the tune, but it may not have been considered since the work being done wasn't engine related. It was electrical. It is certainly a possibility!

OP
T
Thread Starter #25
I was thinking perhaps the PO flashed a somewhat aggressive tune, then pulled all the supporting mods but didn't reflash the stock tune, and sold it.
The car could be detecting a signal too high or too low, such as a signal voltage on the CAT sensor (like in my case with the TT).

As far as the blown off boost hose goes, are the intercooler end tanks in good condition? No cracks, chips, ridges gouged up?
Intercooler seems to be fine. The hoses stay on now. I changed out the rear motor mount at the suggestion of Ron from Whoosh and that seemed to fix that problem.

Ok, so if the blown hose issue is solved, then your remaining issue is the loss of power, correct?

I'd be interested to see what your AP has to say.

OP
T
Thread Starter #27
Ok, so if the blown hose issue is solved, then your remaining issue is the loss of power, correct?

I'd be interested to see what your AP has to say.
Yes. Loss of power, turkey gobble and it's only fixed after turning the car off and restarting it. Might have to ship it off to Cobb for a relicense sooner rather than later!

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Bought it off Ebay, they claimed it was unmarried and included another Mountune accessport along with it. Turns out both were unmarried so the seller gave me a decent refund on both.
So both were STILL married but the seller refunded you, hmmm... Now, the Mountune one shouldn't make a difference unless it was specifically sold with the warranty friendly MP215 package, then that is locked to that one tune only but hopefully Cobb can help you out for not too much of a fee... the thing is whatever cars they are married to essentially still have the tune, the AP does not have to be connected for it to work... anyway, good luck man!

OP
T
Thread Starter #30
So both were STILL married but the seller refunded you, hmmm... Now, the Mountune one shouldn't make a difference unless it was specifically sold with the warranty friendly MP215 package, then that is locked to that one tune only but hopefully Cobb can help you out for not too much of a fee... the thing is whatever cars they are married to essentially still have the tune, the AP does not have to be connected for it to work... anyway, good luck man!
Yeah a super bummer, but I'll eventually offload the Mountune for cheap and end up paying less getting the other one relicensed through Cobb. It semi worked out but still frustrating.

OP
T
Thread Starter #31
Yeah, it sounds like something is throwing it into limp mode.

Just by chance, have you looked at the MAP sensor?
That is on my list of things to check! Thanks again! I'll try to run the codes and see what I come up with! Thanks again

OP
T
Thread Starter #34
So a quick update. Threw on new clamps and boost hoses from Whoosh. The hoses and clamps work great! Went out for a test drive and the CEL light came on after a hard pull in 2nd. It was P0234. I checked it on the married accessport I had on hand and it was able to show me the code. Turns out there a new issue. I'm thinking it could be a tune on the car that was never returned to stock. I have a work order in with Cobb to get a new license on the accessport and i'll go from there! If the problem persists after a tune is put on the vehicle I guess i'll be making a trip to the dealership. Hopefully the dealerships here in Arizona are friendly to a little light modding haha. Any other suggestions would be welcome! Thanks again you all!

LaserWhisperer

Overboosting condition. Maybe you check that the vacuum line and anything in line from your tubo inlet elbow to your wastegate isn't effed? If it's melted or kinked, it could stop the wastegate from actuating

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

OP
T
Thread Starter #36
Overboosting condition. Maybe you check that the vacuum line and anything in line from your tubo inlet elbow to your wastegate isn't effed? If it's melted or kinked, it could stop the wastegate from actuating

I was looking at that. One of the hoses from my inlet was sort of kinked since it was in an odd position. I readjusted it and now it looks like its able to flow freely. I'll see if that makes a difference! Thanks again! I truly appreciate the suggestions!

OP
T
Thread Starter #37

While diagnosing the other day and fixing some things the car also bricked itself after plugging in the Married Accessport to check the engine code. That was fun. Had to unplug the battery and wait about 10 minutes. Think thats a sign theres some strange tune on it?

danbfree

3000 Post Club
While diagnosing the other day and fixing some things the car also bricked itself after plugging in the Married Accessport to check the engine code. That was fun. Had to unplug the battery and wait about 10 minutes. Think thats a sign theres some strange tune on it?
Maybe even touch positive and negative battery cables together while disconnected and wait a full 30 minutes? Then simply ask the dealer if they will flash it back to stock? Then you can start fresh and see if you continue to throw codes, but you're also getting some good advice in case their really is some problems so keep us posted!